Pulley Wobble/Short Nose Crank questions

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Bob K
Tentative sideways sliding....

1990 MX5

Post by Bob K » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:32 am

Hi Zorruno,

Wot is the "short crank nose problem" you refer to?
My MX5 is an early 1989 and I'm concerned! My car also suffers from a buzzing/metalic rattling noise on deceleration in the lower gears. I hope this is a loose exhaust heat sheild and not something in the gearbox or is it related to the "problem"?

I would appreciate your comments.
BOB K

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:59 am

Although I know nothing about the NA MX-5s here is a good thread on what it is and if you do a search on the NA forums you will have a better answer ;)

90-91 Short Crank Nose Prob

Photo of what it is on a 94

And do a search here!
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Vince
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

1990 MX5

Post by Vince » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Bob, for what it's worth, here's my opinion. The Americans seem to make a big issue out of it, bigger than it needs to be I think. If you read the article that Shermio just sent thru, they reckon it only affects about 1% of early cars, 89-91s, but some of the photo's are of 93+94s which theoretically should'nt cause a problem! I would'nt worry too much about it, it may cause a problem at some stage, it may not. There are hundreds of early MX5s running around in NZ without any problems, in fact we've got two of them, an 89 and a 90, and we bought the second one knowing about the supposed short crank problem. I don't see it as an issue.
There is someone in Auckland who has I understand, repaired a couple by building up the crank nose and remachining, while the engine is still in the car, something the Americans say can't be done! The name Taylors rings a bell, but I'm not sure, someone on this list will know who it is, as it has been discussed at length several times in the past. If your car's running fine, I would'nt worry about it. You could get hit by a bus one day, but you don't lie awake worrying about that do you?
Cheers,Vince.

---------------------------------------------
[Posted via External Email]

Fletch
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Fletch » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:01 pm

I've been hanging around the US mailing list and forum for about ten years now....

That 1% number was only ever a wild guess, and it was a wild guess over 8 years ago when the artical originally appeared. Since then, only more have failed. How many? Who knows?

I know of at least 5 short-nose failures just in Auckland.

Thats not a huge number, but its enough to be of concern. But theres no need to panic. There is a well known and documented preventative maintenance proceedure, and following it will reduce your chances of the crank-nose failure to essentially zero.

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:40 am

Personally I would recommend anyone with an affected model to strongly keep an eye out for pulley wobble, I had to repair mine a year or so ago.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:20 am

I would suggest replacing the bolt and using loctite BEFORE you detect any pulley wobble.

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:27 pm

I have done 5 engine swaps for various members now because of the crank problem.
The main problem is the cam belt pulley keyway being too short and flogging out. (It either flogs out the keyway on the crank or keyway on the the pulley).
You can fix them but it generally is a short term remedy. You can pick up second hand engines for around $500 - $750 (92' onwards) and an engine swap takes me about 15 hours by myself.

Growler.

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Fletch wrote:I would suggest replacing the bolt and using loctite BEFORE you detect any pulley wobble.

Fletch.
indeed ;)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”