Front number plate mount

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Front number plate mount

Post by DBM58 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:40 am

I recently bought a front number plate mount bracket from Ross at MX5 Mart. He pointed out that a big problem with them is that because the two mounting screws face backwards, it only takes a small amount of force (such as somebody reversing into you) to push the number plate backwards, pressing the ends of the screws into the nose piece in front of the bonnet.
I have found that a simple solution is to fit flush mounted nutserts / rivnuts / PEM nuts to strip of metal and screw the plate screws into them.

I concede that this may be the most over-engineered answer to a problem that does not exist, but the end result is a flat surface that, if pushed backwards, will not damage the front of the car. It also only applies if your requirement is to mount your number plate above the mouth of the car.

If anyone has an interest in this, I would be happy to send photographs or make one for you, painted in your choice of gloss black.
David

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:26 pm

An easier method is to have the screws facing out!

that is to screw the plate on from the bumper out so the nut is on the plate and not facing the bumper ;)
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

DBM58

Post by DBM58 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:50 pm

That is absolutely true, I just thought that the final finished appearance is more suitable with the cap screw heads visible and not the threads.
David

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:10 pm

That's true!

Well this is what I would have done, reverse the screw, get a stainless nut (Dome type like the ones below) with nylon insert and cut the threads to length, it will leave a shiny nut on the front of the plates and not as good as your method, but it's faster and the results are the same ;)

2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

DBM58

Post by DBM58 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:46 pm

Actually, with countersunk screws at the back to keep the flat surface, I think that your idea is better. On the other hand, we are men, we build fires and bridges, big ones, by using as many tools as possible - if our wives will let us buy them.
David

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:50 pm

DBM58 wrote:we build fires and bridges
And if you are like me, you sometimes .... accidentally .... build them at the same time in the same place .... which means starting again .... ;)
(z)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”