film on soft top plastic window

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

film on soft top plastic window

Post by Paul Murray » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:25 am

My top has a milky coloured film 50mm wide around the bottom exterior section of the window. The car is not able to be garaged and is outside at all times and 800 metres or so from the sea. The area of the window not affected cleans up okay with Meguiar's clear plastic cleaner. Any ideas to remove this film without damaging the plastic would be very much appreciated.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:05 pm

I'm guessing the window is UV damaged, so I doubt there is a lot can be done. Is the milky area more of a brown colour?

If it doesn't clean up with a good plastic polish, the window probably is beyond repair sorry. I assume you've tried polishing it inside and out?

cheers
(z)

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

film - plastic window

Post by Paul Murray » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:51 am

Thanks Zorruno, was hoping there may have been some way of cleaning it up. The film is more milky than brown, but will probably go brown. The window was replaced approx 4 years ago, perhaps more frequent cleaning may have prevented this present condition.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”