1990 MX5

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

kiwimix109
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

1990 MX5

Post by kiwimix109 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:50 am

I have a 1990 MX5 eunos, done 48,771Km Mint condition, imported 1996 @ 33,000Km. Can anyone please tell me what they think the value of the market would have on it today? Cheers.
P.S. The Chassis Model is NA6CE, can anyone tell me if this would be the model that does not meet front crash impact standards of today?

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: 1990 MX5 (Marked value of)

Post by zorruno » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:21 pm

kiwimix109 wrote:I have a 1990 MX5 eunos, done 48,771Km Mint condition, imported 1996 @ 33,000Km. Can anyone please tell me what they think the value of the market would have on it today? Cheers.
I'm guessing it is Red? I also doubt that you can really rely on the ODO when imported - but that shouldn't make much difference. Increasing the price for early models really comes down to:
- The state of the roof/window. Ripped, faded, seals ok etc?
- Paint. Early models are usually faded - especially the plastic bits like the number plate area.
- Interior - cracked dash or radio surround? Ripped seats? Aftermarket mods like painted interior/cellphone holders screwed to the console etc?
- Maybe a service history would help - regular oil changes?
- Comes with a hard top? Good factory boot cover? You can sell these seperately though for a few more $$
- Factory or After market wheels? Suspension mods? (The appeal is dependant on who is buying)

An early model would go for anywhere from $4k-$8k depending on who is buying (they may want a mint unmodified original). 2-4k for a 'project' car. The engines are pretty reliable - except for yours will likely fall within the range of the short crank nose problem, so that may turn peoply toward a slightly later model (mid-late 91).

If you provided a few more details, someone may be able to tell you exactly what they wanted to pay... or maybe an auction/tender would get the best price? It is a big range, depending on who is buying, and exactly what they want.
(z)

kiwimix109

Post by kiwimix109 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Thanks for your reply zorruno, the vehicle in question is White, Excellent condition inside (no cell phone holder holes or marks of any kind plus there were included a pair of white driving gloves, those Japs hugh?!) the outside including the rag top roof is like brand new. It was given to me by my farther who was lucky to have done over 15,000Km since it's import in 1996, it lived most of it's life in the shed. ODO Papers where included at border inspection when it arrived into the country, have seen papers in question. The wheels are factory mags with the plastic type hub cap in the centre. I'm just interested in what it could fetch if I was to sell her.
Cheers!

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 pm

Hmmm, an early white should fetch a bit more - usually on a well used MX5 the white paint would be well faded by now (white is the worst of the early colours for this), but it sounds like it is in great condition.

I'd guess you should get at least 8k for it, and if someone really wanted an original early model, maybe more (although people tend to pay more for non-imports for some reason). But then again, it depends who is buying, and how long you want to wait for the right buyer. You can get later model ones that need a little bit of work quite cheaply now too. People pay that amount for much lesser ones at dealers - but I assume not in cash...

Check the prices on the MX5 Club website and trademe to compare. You could always store it for a another 10 years and hope it becomes a collectable!

PS - these are my opinions only... hope it is of some help though.
(z)

kiwimix109

Post by kiwimix109 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:30 pm

Thanks zorruno, I appreciate your help in this and I may just keep her afterall. I guess I needed to make my mind up on what I was going to do with her. Can you give me a little more information of this so called problem with the engine, that you were talking about earlier? Thanks alot. :wink:

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:21 pm

I've moved the topic of short nose crank/pulley wobble to a new topic here as it is worth more discussion on its own...
viewtopic.php?t=2842

...and in case anyone has more to add on kiwimix109's origional question....
(z)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”