Cold air induction / buzz

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by GEEMCB » Sun May 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi, all

Hopefully this is an appropriate post here ...

My recently-installed Loch Stewart-style CAI system is causing a buzz high up in the dash on the left hand side near where the intake is. There are a series of resonance points as I accelerate up through the rev range - a bit like an audible tacho really. Sounds like metal on metal (not that that helps a heap).

Also seems to be developing a rattle in a similar location - could be imagination but perhaps more prevalant when the car is cold.

Took the glovebox off today & explored to no avail - nothing obviously adrift.

Has anyone has a similar problem ? Anything known to be prone to coming loose in that area ?

Regards
Greg
1990 V Special

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by DBM58 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:24 pm

Not that I really have any idea, but what happened to the metal bracket that secured the fluid line (I don't know its name) to the panel above the firewall. When I did mine, this bracket was fixed directly in the space that I cut the large hole from. I did not re-attach it, just slid it out of the way.

Also, did you line the large hole with anything rubberish?

Can you replicate the buzz when the car is stationary by operating the throttle from under the bonnet. If so, does it go away if you hold on to (and therefore damppen viration) for example the new metal intake.

You could always fit a louder radio.

Regards
David

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Sun May 28, 2006 8:34 pm

Cheers, David

I'm thinking that a louder stereo may be just the thing ...

I did re-attach the bracket for the air-con line that runs along the top of the bulkhead - I remembered your comment when I looked at your car & did secure it along a bit from the intake.

The intake duct where it goes through the leaftrap is rubber itself, so no I didn't do any lining.

And no, the buzz only happens when the engine is under load so revving in the garage won't help. Ideally I'd get a very small assistant to poke around while I was driving, however that would't be too safe methinks.

I did think I'd tracked it down today when I found that the clamp around the heater outlet ducting was a bit loose - alas & alack the clamp is now in better shape but the buzz lives on.

Hmmmm
Greg
1990 V Special

Miatamad

I cannot help with the buzzing

Post by Miatamad » Mon May 29, 2006 12:59 pm

But would love to know where you got the LS intake 'cone' from?

Chris

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Mon May 29, 2006 4:03 pm

There were 3 on Aussie Ebay a week or so ago.

There's also a metal "cone" that goes over the top of the filter that can be bought from the states. You can then duct cold air into that from where ever you like.

I'll try and find the link.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Mon May 29, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi Chris

I got an integrated heat shield / air filter from Mag & Turbo Warehouse for $40 or so. It's a Simota unit & comes with a plastic heat shield ready to duct in & out of. Intake side has an OD of 100mm (from memory - whatever it is it fits nicely into standard PVC plumbing bits). Outlet side has an ID of 70mm. Only drawback is that the whole thing has to be replaced come new filter time - but at that price it's not a biggie.

I've written up what I did (with pics) for TopDown, so depending on space & whatever else Nigel has it may be in the next edition. If not I'm more than happy to pass on further details.

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 pm

Not the one I was looking for but here's a bling looking one.

http://www.pipercross.net/viper_product.asp
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Mon May 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Hmm - bling is right, but quite smart none the less. Still got the problem of getting cold air in there.

This is similar to what I used ....
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0892/article.html

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Mon May 29, 2006 9:27 pm

Yeah that's a great article by Matt King (Victorian MX-5 Club President).

(Matt during the limo ride from Brisbane Airport to test drive the NC MX-5)

petercristina
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

getting the cold air in

Post by petercristina » Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Peter Garrity
Wellington

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

CAI buzz

Post by Paul Murray » Tue May 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi Greg, when I purchased my 90 the CAI was already installed. I have experienced vibration type buzzing and other noises under heavy load/pedal to the metal and despite attempting to put some packing around the outlet the noise/vibrations/buzzing has continued. I am so used to it now, I just enjoy the car noise and all but will follow this topic and hope someone can help you quieten down/eliminate the buzzing

Return to “MX5 Discussion”