Auto vs Manual

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

marjie
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Auto vs Manual

Post by marjie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if having a manual is invariably going to affect resale value that much? I ask as it seems that most drivers prefer manual for such a sportscar, but is it that bad to get the auto (easier to drive in auckland traffic?)?

Toolbox
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Toolbox » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Yes auto does affect resale value, but don't let that put you off.
$7000 is a fair price for a 2000 model, if it was a manual it would be about $2000 more. I have both a manual and a auto and I prefer the auto for around town driving.
I didn't make a mistake. I gave you a observation test and you JUST passed.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:24 pm

My car was an auto up until recently (converted it to manual) and I agree that autos are ideal for stop/start town traffic. However, you are correct in your assumption that manuals are much more highly sought after as having the control over the changes and rev's unleashes the real potential of the car and makes it a much more fun driving experience on the open road.

I feel that having an auto definitely affects the resale value as most drivers would not consider it a true sports car if it wasn't a manual.

just my 2c

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:39 pm

The MX5's manual gearbox has been one of its key features since 1989...and the car itself thrives on the open road, the twistier the better.
Don't deny yourself all the available performance/responsiveness for a little in city commuting convenience by going auto (3 speed with overdrive v. 6 speed manual = no competition in my opinion)
I hope the OP is considering a 1.8, and not a lethargic 1.6 auto which some NB imports were!!!! :?
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”