need advice!!!!

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

hellzbellz76
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

need advice!!!!

Post by hellzbellz76 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 pm

So I have a 1990 MX 5 and have had it for about 7 months.
Problem I have found is that the heater isn't very useful especially on the demister.
What should I check first?
Also the soft top has a zip out back window which needs replaced as you can't see anything through it, not sure what has happened to it before I got it. I will prob just replace to complete top anyway so what sort of price am I looking at?

Thankful for any advice

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Odd that the demister isn't doing anything. Sure you're not setting it to recirc the air?

Check heater hoses etc in the engine bay (the two hoses going to the firewall near exhaust. Not sure what else there is to check since I haven't really fiddled with the AC yet.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:58 am

Before throwing away your window,
Try cutting compound.

I just used normal car stuff,
1200 > 3000 then some polish.
Made it totally useable again.

Might save you a few dollars.

As for heater...

Yeah, I don't know.

hellzbellz76
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by hellzbellz76 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:00 am

Awesome I will try that thank you

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 am

the hot water through the heater core flows through it all the time. the only way to change temp is a large air diverter flap and the demister flap . have a look down on the passengers side of the heater box and youll see the control arms activated by the cables. see if they are moving all the way.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 am

Does the heater make hot air at all?

Does it take a long time for the car to warm up? Does the coolant temp gauge sit right in the middle or to the colder side? Does it drop when driving in cold weather? Those could be a sign of a stuck open thermostat.

If your car has AC, that should be the most effective way to demist the windows. Turn the heater up, AC on.

bgnz
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by bgnz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:22 am

Presuming your heater core is functioning as it should, you need to check those cables on the flaps. There are 3 cables in total. The one controlling the heat is on the drivers side. You need to remove the lower trim, where your knees go, 2 screws I think and it's off?

Feel up on the left side and you should find the cable, the end is formed into a circle and goes over the flap actuator - no idea what it's really called! And the cable itself goes into a clip. If that's not in the clip properly then your flap doesn't get the full length of travel, and you get cold :(

I recently had this issue after I removed my heater controls to fix them, spent a lukewarm week till I took off that panel and fixed. Only took 10 mins

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by 4A-GE » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 am

My heater is a bit sad too, but the thermostat's barely 6mths old. A fix for that would be great.

A generic top with plastic window will cost you ~$600 just for the bit of canvas itself. I had a non zip glass one fitted for a smidge over $1300 earlier this year.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:15 am

Or... do as a friend did and hunt around for a good price on an NB frame and top. He got a reasonable condition OEM top for about $850 (non-zippered glass window, 2 piece). Compared to fitting a new top, it was an easy ~ 2 hour swap and a perfect fit.

The OEM top is much better quality than cheaper aftermarket ones and the NB frame is an improvement over the NA design as it has a sprung 4th bow which helps the top fold in a single action.

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Soft top prices here are silly

Just imported one

Robbins XT fixed rear plastic window from Ebay
$200 nzd - free shipping to my youshop usa address
$75 NZD youpost to my door here - zero customs fees= under the cutoff

Total price in my hand in under 2 weeks = $275 nzd
same item on trademe = $550-750 what a rip......

Return to “MX5 Discussion”