Headlights, hardtops and indicator bulbs...

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

thrfriedspy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Headlights, hardtops and indicator bulbs...

Post by thrfriedspy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 am

Hi all

Thanks for the fantastic replies into my rear lights questions, found exactly what she wanted and are now on order!!

Now if I can trouble you for more info:

Where's the best place to source a NA hardtop (with glass screen) been looking on yard me but nothing has come up. I'm in Chch and would prefer local to save costs. Convertibles is Chch winters agent the best!

Also, the standard headlights on on the NA are about as good as an box of matches. As its my daughters car and she has only been driving for a few weeks I want to look at easy cost effective upgrades to the headlights. Anyone got any ideas? I'm not much of a mechanic so the easiest method vs decent performance would be ideal.... Any ideas?

And last of all, ive replaced the front indicators with ones call 'crystal' - I think that's what they are called. They are a clear lens job. Only issue I they are now one bulb two fillaminent deals, meaning the indicators show yellow park lights and it looks crap. The yellow bulbs look shit, being polite. Any one had a similar issue or know how to get around it? My ideal would be white park lights with the chrome covered yellow indicator bulbs but this may be impossible, as the new clear lenses came with a single bulb wiring loom. I still have the old 2 bulb origional ones but don't think they will work in he new mild shape. Feck is any of that make sense?? Maybe a white/yellow bulb is there a beast?

Any and all help greatfuly received as teenage daughter seems to think I can perform miricales on the car!!! I own a Jag XFR, old and now and spending days working on cars are a few years ago I'm a bit past it!

Thanks once again for all the help last time, fingers crossed you guys (and girls) can help me out by making man old man look cool in front of his daughter!!!!

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 am

Give Brownie a call at Mazline down there in ChCh. They may have a hardtop in stock. Othrr than that watch Tard Me for one to come up. Im not sure about lights. I got the smokey lens ones which I feel look heaps better but thats all about personal preference though. As long as the lights flash and get a WOF is primary concern for me. You dont see them flashing from inside or when car is parked.

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:36 am

Hard tops can be found in many places but prepare to pay around 1k, another cost to factor in is getting it paint matched (if you care). There isn't a place you can go to just buy one (although MX5Mart might, but they're not local) , so best bet is to look around trademe etc maybe make offers on people selling their cars with hardtops included.

If the car hasn't had a hard top before you'll need to grab some Frankenstein bolts for the rear latches to attach to, MX5Mart should have some.

All hardtops have glass. Apart from racecars that replace them with lexan.

The clear indicators I don't think you can do much about since they're only one bulb? Although I don't have them so maybe someone else can chime in about 'em!

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:52 pm

i just replaced my headlights with H4 semi sealed replacements from partmaster. just $72 for the lenses and h4 lamps for the two.
they dont fit quite the same, and will require you to replace the six locating ring screws with longer ones (4mmX20mm) easy job. you can have them changed in half an hour.

pop up lights.
remove black plastic cover 4 screws
remove 3X locating ring screws and bin 'em
unplug lamp.
fit h4 lamp to new lense and plug in to car.
fit ring with 3Xlonger screws
etc etc
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

DeeCee
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by DeeCee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:16 pm

+1 on the H4's. Fitted the same to my NA a few months ago.

My daily drive to work is in the dark during the winter. So after a few months of driving in the dark I am still pleased with the result.
1992 NA - Red, 92 NA Race Car - Yellow, 90 BRG (a rebuild project)

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Dont try the wagner brand semi selaed lamps from repco. They are to thin and flop around once fitted. I supplied 2 to a customer and then supplied him 2 white box brand ones that i had fitted to my car that fit perfetly. BNT used to sell them but have gone to sealed beams now and no longer sell them. You can then go to an upgrade hella or narva +50 or. +90 bulb to get even better light out of them without any extra heat or current draw.
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

thrfriedspy

Post by thrfriedspy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:22 pm

SLYDIT wrote:i just replaced my headlights with H4 semi sealed replacements from partmaster. just $72 for the lenses and h4 lamps for the two.
they dont fit quite the same, and will require you to replace the six locating ring screws with longer ones (4mmX20mm) easy job. you can have them changed in half an hour.

pop up lights.
remove black plastic cover 4 screws
remove 3X locating ring screws and bin 'em
unplug lamp.
fit h4 lamp to new lense and plug in to car.
fit ring with 3Xlonger screws
etc etc
Sorry confused, (I'm a bit thick) need to replace the outer glass lenses as well as the bulbs?

Where do you get the lenses from? And reading below, fitting the Narva H4 +90 bulbs would be the go??

broomfish

Post by broomfish » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:33 pm

The standard headlight is a sealed beam (bulb is part of the lamp and not replaceable, replace whole light when blown)
The semi sealed lamp has a replaceable h4 bulb. Some semi sealed lamps include a bulb, but most dont so they need to be purchased also when the semi sealed lamps are purchased.
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

thrfriedspy

Post by thrfriedspy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:56 pm

OK,That makes sense now thanks Peter, any idea where I can purchase them from at a decent rate?
'84 2.8, V6 Capri - under resto,
'14 HD 883 Iron
'13 RR Evoque, SI4 Dynamic Coupe
'91 MX5, Meteor Grey (Offsprings)

Junkwhale

Re: Headlights, hardtops and indicator bulbs...

Post by Junkwhale » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:08 pm

thrfriedspy wrote:Hi all

Where's the best place to source a NA hardtop (with glass screen) been looking on yard me but nothing has come up. I'm in Chch and would prefer local to save costs. Convertibles is Chch winters agent the best!
One listed on trademe this morning in Chch: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 089234.htm

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:01 pm

I have a couple of pairs of the good Crystal type headlights in stock,RAYBRIG branded Japan Made(best quailty).
Mazline Partsworld,Come in and see me.
Attachments
headlights.jpg

Jesse Pinkman

Post by Jesse Pinkman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:06 pm

There's a hardtop on trademe in christchurch right now...
Don’t confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other.

broomfish

Post by broomfish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:47 pm

thrfriedspy wrote:OK,That makes sense now thanks Peter, any idea where I can purchase them from at a decent rate?
Unfortunatly not. I have only one left, my usual supplier of them has gone to sealed beams for some unknown reason so i no longer have a supplier for the cheap semi sealed, only the expensiver Narva ones. Steer clear of the Wagner brand ones from Repco, they may fit some models but they dont fit the MX5 without some additional packing to stop them flopping around
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm

thats the same with the cheap ones i got from part master. ($75 for the two with lamps)you have to use longer mounting screws to fit the bigger tabs on the lenses, or snap the tabs off and then pack them out by about 3mm. they certainly arent a bolt in affair and the rubber boots cant be fitted so i am dubious as to how weather proof they will be in the rain... time will tell.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Discussion”