I spose I should reintroduce myself...

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

bgnz
Tentative sideways sliding....

I spose I should reintroduce myself...

Post by bgnz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Long time owner of MX5's. Well got my first 13 years ago, 89 with a wobbly nose.
When I moved to nz from dear old shoddy england, I met my missus. She had a 94 1800 and I got to drive it around for a couple of weeks. Yeah I was hooked. So it was a toss up between the 89 or an MGB Tin top. Ended up with the 89 which I had for about 6 years. Sold eventually as I needed something more practical for band equipment.

In the meantime the missus upgraded to an NC and gave me her old 1800 :D It needed a head overhaul as the valve stem seals had gone, meaning a shit load of embarrasing smoke. Soon had that sorted.

So now had a 4wd, a 94 1800 and use of the NC . Loved the NC but for me it was not an MX5 - it felt like a 'proper' car i.e. safe with air bags and shit. Wheras what I loved about the NA's were the 'seat of the pants' flying around corners, the NC never felt like the back end was going to slide :(

Anyway, I sold the 1800 as I didn't like it as much as my 89, just not as 'nippy' and I had a hankering for some turbo. Next step was a 1990 MR2 GT. Shit that satisfied my turbo wantage. Had that for a couple of years and would scare myself very often. They are fantastic cars but unpredictable if you don't have the right rubber on them. It got totalled when somebody tapped the back end of it. Literally at 15km/h. Bent the chassis :(

So thats when I ended up with the BRG :) 1993 so last of the 1600's I guess. Reminds me of my 89 but still not quite got the feel. Never was keen on tan interior, but always loved BRG :)

The missus in the meantime sold the NC and got a Peugeot RCZ. That was a fucking monumental car, but I was shit scared of marking it lol. Twin turbo mentalness available for me on tap, and nice open top MX5 motoring when I wanted to have shitloads of fun!

So thats my potted history... the missus has since moved to a Mini Cooper Convertible as she loves the top down feeling, and the RCZ plain scared her - tyres at 800 bucks a piece.

Oh and I sold the 4wd at some point to go on holiday. Now I have a shit load of guitar gear, big amps and a PA that can never leave the house haha....

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Re: I spose I should reintroduce myself...

Post by Angreal » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm

bgnz wrote: Loved the NC but for me it was not an MX5 - it felt like a 'proper' car i.e. safe with air bags and shit.
Made me laugh. *edit* Oh and I should say hi

bgnz

Post by bgnz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Angreal wrote:
bgnz wrote: Loved the NC but for me it was not an MX5 - it felt like a 'proper' car i.e. safe with air bags and shit.
Made me laugh.
Yeah it just was though, getting the back end out was such a mission!!! I like my 5's a bit rough and ready, but that car was like a real car with nice plastic and leather lol... The worse thing was the height of the doors. Rest your arm on the top of the door and it was instant cramp as it was virtually in line with your head ;)

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:49 am

Hello bgnz,

I completely understand your comment about the '89 - true to the sports car concept. I have a '93 for this reason, a hard ride, a bit lose, great steering, and loves corners.
1992 NA - Red, 92 NA Race Car - Yellow, 90 BRG (a rebuild project)

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:17 am

bgnz wrote:The worse thing was the height of the doors. Rest your arm on the top of the door and it was instant cramp as it was virtually in line with your head ;)
You are the second person I've heard say that

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 am

g'day bgnz :)
nice to meet you!

bgnz

Post by bgnz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:35 pm

And you guys :)

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Welcome...and modern cars eh!...all about impact safety,all metal and damn all windows to see out of any more [apart from the windscreen].
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

bgnz

Post by bgnz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 pm

WideOpenThrottle wrote:Welcome...and modern cars eh!...all about impact safety,all metal and damn all windows to see out of any more [apart from the windscreen].
Haha bloody oath ;) can see nothing out of the rear of the missus mini due to the roll bars.

I was looking at low backed seats but cost put me off in the end. May go that way eventually

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 am

bgnz- Where do you live? :?:
98 NB Evolution Orange

Return to “MX5 Discussion”