Seat belt stalk / receiver / buckle options...

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Junkwhale
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Seat belt stalk / receiver / buckle options...

Post by Junkwhale » Sat May 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Trying to fit a bucket seat to get me sitting a bit lower and have (mostly) succeeded I think.

The only remaining problem I've got is the seat belt receiver/stalk is poorly positioned (to put it mildly!).

This is in a 98 NB, so the seat belt stalk bolts to the seats and look like this:

They're quite short, inflexible (steel) and buried down the side of the seat. This isn't my picture, but illustrates roughly where the belt buckle/receiver sits: Image

I'd like the stalk to be longer, and flexible enough to go through the harness hole in the seat. Does anyone know if there any other model mx5 or mazda seat belt stalks that would achieve this?

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat May 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Just offhand, how about going to a wreckers yard and having a look around the wrecks?

I would take measurements of the buckle itself to make sure you get a socket that is compatible.

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah will do when i get a chance.

The NA one's look like they're more flexible possibly? Image

Not sure what years that one's from tho, or if the buckle is compatible with nb belts

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 pm

I would *assume* it would be compatible, the buckle system on the NA is pretty generic.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 11, 2014 8:20 am

Maybe undo your strap side and take it with you to Pick A Part to ensure a correct fit..... Im not sure but as soon as I read this it screamed of MODIFICATION and may require certifying as it is no longer original. I am pig ignorant to those regs but I'm sure there is a trainspotter here who will enlighten both you and us regarding this situation. Maybe even go in and see Brownie at MAZLINE. He is a great guy and up with the play on Mazda gear. Worse case scenario you will get to have a chat with an awesome forum member. :wink:

fooesboy
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by fooesboy » Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 am

I happen to have 2 good condition NA ones that I took off and replaced with shorter ones when I fitted my new seats, might be an option even if it is just to make sure they will work how you imagined it to! 8)

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Sun May 11, 2014 9:48 am

Are you using the factory seat runners?

I would just go for an na set, you will need both the belt and buckle as they are different.

FYI
If you are using aftermarket brackets and have mounted the seat belt stalk to that it is illegal and is not certifiable.

2low2c

Post by 2low2c » Sun May 11, 2014 9:56 am

you can not use na belts in an nb because of the air bags have a sensor on the belt. i would go t a seat belt supplier and see what they have in the way of receivers

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Sun May 11, 2014 10:12 am

2low2c wrote:you can not use na belts in an nb because of the air bags have a sensor on the belt. i would go t a seat belt supplier and see what they have in the way of receivers
There's no sensor on the belt/receiver as far as i can see. Might be different for early/late NB's or something?
Last edited by Junkwhale on Sun May 11, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 am

sprsta wrote: FYI
If you are using aftermarket brackets and have mounted the seat belt stalk to that it is illegal and is not certifiable.
Yeah it looks like this is the case (although it's poorly worded/unclear in what i can find online).

Does this mean for anyone with a seat mounted seatbelt (later NAs, all NBs) that the only way to legally use sport seats is to mount the stalk to the chassis (with backing plates etc) and get it certed?

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 am

Junkwhale wrote:
sprsta wrote: FYI
Yeah it looks like this is the case (although it's poorly worded/unclear in what i can find online).

Does this mean for anyone with a seat mounted seatbelt (later NAs, all NBs) that the only way to legally use sport seats is to mount the stalk to the chassis (with backing plates etc) and get it certed?
Hmm actually, this answers my question:

Ken.McNoe
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Ken.McNoe » Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 pm

so what about something like this? still out of a Mazda so surely shouldn't have any problems .... just a though ..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts- accessories/mazda/interior/auction-727124906.htm
Ken
'I MEDIC"
1.8 1997 Red NA - NZ New

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Sun May 11, 2014 6:53 pm

98 NB Evolution Orange

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Tue May 13, 2014 6:12 pm

fooesboy wrote:I happen to have 2 good condition NA ones that I took off and replaced with shorter ones when I fitted my new seats, might be an option even if it is just to make sure they will work how you imagined it to! 8)
Missed this post first time round sorry! That would be awesome. If they're like the NA one in the pic above they'd be perfect for when I get it certed (in the distant future at this point!). How much you want for em?

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed May 14, 2014 11:16 am

The NA used two types of seatbelt receivers. One was a stalk that attached directly to the side of the transmission tunnel, the other was attached to the seat and had a slider that was bolted to an anchorage at the rear of the transmission tunnel.

My NA8 has the slider type, but if you pull back the carpet, the other seatbelt anchorage is there too, allowing the stalk type to be used. Is this present on the NB chassis?

I think imports generally had their seatbelts changed to a fairly generic AutoLiv belt. My 94 and a friend's 91 Eunos Roadster both have Aussie-made belts fitted and are compatible

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am

marcellarius wrote:My NA8 has the slider type, but if you pull back the carpet, the other seatbelt anchorage is there too, allowing the stalk type to be used. Is this present on the NB chassis?
Nope

Return to “MX5 Discussion”