Roll bar padding

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Roll bar padding

Post by warrior » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:50 am

Went for my cert today and all I have to do is pad my roll bar(I should have known) Does anybody know where the best place to get it from is?

Cheers
warrior

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by chris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Warehouse - pool noodle. Not even kidding.

Otherwise Cardwells on the shore have some decent stuff
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:41 pm

A pool noodle would do fuck all, it doesn't absorb enough energy in a collision.

The interior impact LVV standard says SFI 45.1 or equivalent motorsport specification.

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 am

I passed with a pool noodle.. lol

Ziptied that mother fucker on and was good to go.

I purchased some of the proper roll bar padding from Cardwell and thought "this is fucking hard, it will concuss me at best"

Not to mention my seat was well below the roll bar..
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47 pm

chris wrote:I purchased some of the proper roll bar padding from Cardwell and thought "this is fucking hard, it will concuss me at best"
Because a pool noodle will totally stop the bar itself concussing you when your head connects :?

I think the reality is though that generally speaking roll bars in street cars designed to motorsport standards are probably best intended being used with race seat, helmet and harness.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:46 am

Valid point.

However, if my head managed to connect with the roll bar in an accident I would have been very surprised as I was a good 4 -6 inches below any bar that I could hit with my seat.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am

chris wrote:However, if my head managed to connect with the roll bar in an accident I would have been very surprised as I was a good 4 -6 inches below any bar that I could hit with my seat.
Serious crash forces (i.e. the kind of serious where you might particularly want a roll bar) can really fling somebody around, even within the restraint a seatbelt.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxer6QMxbNg

I'd hate to see one of these tests for an NA MX5...

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am

chris wrote:Valid point.

However, if my head managed to connect with the roll bar in an accident I would have been very surprised as I was a good 4 -6 inches below any bar that I could hit with my seat.
Time to 'GROW UP' perhaps. Chris. TROLOLOL!!!! :wink:

chris

Post by chris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am

GRUVBB wrote:

Time to 'GROW UP' perhaps. Chris. TROLOLOL!!!!
I see what you did there!

Well played!
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 am

Good on ya... You saw it even while I was editing in the wink and that was straight after writing!!! :lol:

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:45 pm

marcellarius wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxer6QMxbNg

I'd hate to see one of these tests for an NA MX5...
I think Ian did a very thorough test last year in his na...

siren676

Post by siren676 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 pm

And what happens if you roll over? your factory 3 point will have lot of free movement which could easily allow you to move that much
1990 NA6C MX5

chris

Post by chris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:34 pm

If I roll over and my factory three point lets me fall that far, I will be well and truly fucked.

Don't give me that "He has rollbar padding, if he rolls over he will be so safe" bullshit.
If you roll in a mx5 roll bar padding should be the least of your worries.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:57 pm

chris wrote:If you roll in a mx5 roll bar padding should be the least of your worries.
However, "least of your worries" does not logically equate to "should not bother worrying about."

chris

Post by chris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 pm

... You are seriously pushing shit up hill. (great forum to make that comment on too)
Now tell me, your Honda S2000, has a factory "roll bar" correct?
Now, have you put padding on it? If not, then why the fuck not? Clearly you are very concerned about safety..
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:16 pm

chris wrote:... You are seriously pushing shit up hill. (great forum to make that comment on too)
Now tell me, your Honda S2000, has a factory "roll bar" correct?
Now, have you put padding on it? If not, then why the fuck not? Clearly you are very concerned about safety..

We're not talking about my car, but yeah, not all cars are made equal.

If I actually tracked my car regularly I'd replace the OEM rollover protection (because let's face it, it's not a real roll bar) and would pad it appropriately.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Gee I have missed you Chris.
warrior

chris

Post by chris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 pm

We weren't talking about race cars in the first instance now were we? We were talking about certification/compliance.

So, a S2k has a stronger A pillar than MX5's (not really that surprising) however, both of those accidents, you would have walked away from.

Back to the topic on hand, a pool noodle, whilst unorthodox and will not do jack shit in case of a roll over, will help you pass your certification for a much lesser price than the official roll bar padding will. Feel free to grab some of the roll bar padding, tell me how much softer it is than your roll bar.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:31 pm

The cert guy told me to make sure I did not use the pool tubes you are talking about (no lies) but I do agree with you Chris, the padding I got and pool tubes do not look to be to different.

Would I want to hit my head on my bar with the pool tubes? NO

Would I want to hit my head on my bar with the padding it now has? NO

Would I want to hit my head on my bar with the $$$$$ stuff from Caldwells? NO AGAIN.

It is there to pass the cert (as you said)
warrior

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:32 pm

chris wrote:We weren't talking about race cars in the first instance now were we? We were talking about certification/compliance.
We still aren't talking about race cars. We certainly weren't talking about my car to start with either, but then you were.

Certainly if I owned an MX-5 now I would consider proper roll protection mandatory, with proper padding.
So, a S2k has a stronger A pillar than MX5's (not really that surprising) however, both of those accidents, you would have walked away from.
Arguably. Arguably not.
Back to the topic on hand, a pool noodle, whilst unorthodox and will not do jack shit in case of a roll over, will help you pass your certification for a much lesser price than the official roll bar padding will. Feel free to grab some of the roll bar padding, tell me how much softer it is than your roll bar.
It's not meant to be soft, you dolt. It's meant to be impact absorbant :lol:

chris

Post by chris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
chris wrote:We weren't talking about race cars in the first instance now were we? We were talking about certification/compliance.
No, we weren't. But then you were talking about my car, so I responded with what I would do. I don't think I even mentioned race cars though, either. Certainly if I owned an MX-5 now I would consider proper roll protection mandatory, with proper padding.
Arguably.
It's not meant to be soft, you dolt. It's meant to be impact absorbant :lol:
Cbf breaking it up to quote the way you did, so I will reply to each section as noted.

First off - if we were not talking about racecars, then what does your comment about tracking the car have to do with anything? Not to mention the s2k that was picture after crashing off the track.

The s2k A pillar is arguably stronger? Did you not see the same picture I just saw.. ? I am sure that the two accidents both happened under completely different circumcisions (I mean circumstances), which include different speeds etc. However, if the s2k A pillar was nearly as fimble as the MX5 A Pillar there would be much more damage done to it. Surely?

Lastly, yes, impact absorbent, however put it against your roll bar, and punch it, there isn't much force behind most peoples punch, however that is still going to brutally hurt your hand. Don't believe me? Try it.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:46 pm

chris wrote:Cbf breaking it up to quote the way you did, so I will reply to each section as noted.
Okay.
First off - if we were not talking about racecars, then what does your comment about tracking the car have to do with anything? Not to mention the s2k that was picture after crashing off the track.
I was talking about using a road car on a track. That doesn't make it a race car. If you're going to be wilfully obtuse don't be surprised if it's returned to you in kind :P
The s2k A pillar is arguably stronger? Did you not see the same picture I just saw.. ? I am sure that the two accidents both happened under completely different circumcisions (I mean circumstances), which include different speeds etc. However, if the s2k A pillar was nearly as fimble as the MX5 A Pillar there would be much more damage done to it. Surely?
No. You would arguably/arguably not walk away from both of those crashes. But we're not talking about S2000s anyway.
Lastly, yes, impact absorbent, however put it against your roll bar, and punch it, there isn't much force behind most peoples punch, however that is still going to brutally hurt your hand. Don't believe me? Try it.
You might argue that a wheel nut should tighten and hold about the same regardless of a seeming minor difference in seat type. They both tighten and torque up about the same, right?

This is why we do it the right way, because seeming small differences can actually be bigger than they seem.

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Oh for fuck sakes.

Furai

Post by Furai » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 pm

CordedBowl wrote:Oh for fuck sakes.
This.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”