Foamsectamy

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Foamsectamy

Post by warrior » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I have given away the idea of using fixed seats in my car.

I bought one seat and it fits fine and is very comfortable but I have decided I am just a bit old to climb in and out of the car with this seat in it. (anyone looking for a brand new fixed back seat pm me)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I want to hear from people that have done a foamsetamy on there seats.

Not because I need to know how to do it but because I want to know what the think of it. Is it worth it? Does it make the seat more "sporty"? Does it make the material saggy with the extra foam taken out?

Anyone that has done this please let me know.
warrior

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I did it on mine, all i did was remove the panel out of the back and cut off the bump from the bottom of the seat.
I mainly did it so i could fit in easier with my helmet on.
They hold you really well, i don't move while drifting.

The base material wont be saggy if you remove the foam from the bottom of the seat, in fact it will look stock. The back piece is a little saggy with the panel removed.

Even with the amount of material removed the seats are still comfy on long drives.
1990 NA6C MX5

NicF
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by NicF » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56 pm

The drivers seat in mine had it done when I bought it. A definiite improvement in lateral support but less comfy on lower back than the standard seat on the passenger side.

I ended up putting in some tilting recaros I got from a wrecker. Similar to fishnets but with solid headrests. I don't know what they're from. Huge difference over the standard seats and I can drive all day and still feel good. Easy bolt on to MX rails, and the seat pad is foam over trampoline so I was able to drop the trampoline a bit by replacing the wire loops with cable ties.

Everyone loves them, and my 83 year old father can get in and out withot too much fuss.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

DeeCee
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by DeeCee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:25 pm

I did the seat back foamectomy to my driver seat and found it a great mod for a little extra leg room and lateral support. Didn't do the base as head room ok for my purposes (daily drive).
1992 NA - Red, 92 NA Race Car - Yellow, 90 BRG (a rebuild project)

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

I foamectomied my drivers seat a few months ago. Overall pretty happy with the result, it's lowered me enough that I don't hit my head on the soft top frame above the window if I lean sideways, leg clearance is improved (might be good if you have a restrictive roll bar)

If you're at the taller and wider end of the spectrum, you can't lower yourself in the seat too much or you end up sitting on the bolsters.

There are two parts of foam that are worth cutting: the centre panel of the backrest, and the foam cushion.

My #1 bit of advice would be ITERATE. Put the seat frame in the car so you can slip the foam in and test it. Cut out a little bit, see how it feels, repeat.

The backrest panel is the easiest to remove and doesn't require major seat disassembly, and can offer some big gains I'd start there. By thinning out that part, you'll sit further back in the seat, thus lower. You can take quite a bit of material out here; don't worry if the surface of the foam is a little rough, you won't see it under the covers.

For the seat cushion, a bit more disassembly is needed to get the covers off. On both the seats I've disassembled, the phillips screw that holds the back onto the base was a right futhermocker to get off. With this I trimmed from both sides. Don't cut too close to the wires that hog rings attach to otherwise they might pull out.

In my last foamectomy, I didn't even bother wasting time trying to unbend the hog rings, just get some good sturdy side cutters and chop them. It takes a fraction of the time and cable ties are easy and effective when putting it all back together. Get a mixture of sizes, small and medium cable ties are handy for this.

I really struggled with cutting on my first attempted foamectomy; I tried an electric knife but that was a waste of time. For my latest attempt I used one of these:
https://www.choice.co.nz/product/show/product_id/8660 $10 bucks, get one for the kitchen too. It did a brilliant job.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Should have read your original post more carefully:

it does feel a little more sporty, a bit more like you're sitting in the seat rather than on it. I cut mine out quite aggressively in search of leg and head room but I found that I end up sitting on the bolsters at the back of the seat. I haven't gone on a long road trip in it, but it could potentially get uncomfortable.

Depending on how much you cut out, the fabric gets a bit saggy. My backrest looks fine, but the seat cushion is a little saggy, I did cut a little more out than necessary though.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”