Fixed back seats

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Fixed back seats

Post by warrior » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:27 pm

I am looking at installing a fixed back seat in my car. I will be pulling it out when I go for a wof.

If anyone out there has some in there car can they let me know what they think of them. How they installed them etc

Does it make it hard to use the standard seatbelt? I will be putting a harness in also at some stage.

And if you have any pics that would be great.
warrior

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Depending on the seat you can still use the factory belt, those recaro fixed back replicas that Chris was running worked.
You won't need to remove it for a wof as long as its on sliding rails
Unfortunately you can't run harnesses unless your cars certed for them which requires a msnz authority card and log book.
1990 NA6C MX5

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Heres mine..i use both factory and harness [not at the same time].The seat is bolted to factory rails and it hits hits the door card a little just below the window.Other seats may be a better fit but I have no complaints whatsoever!
Attachments
race seat 002.JPG
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Stolen from my build thread...

So!

Went to buy some seats, found out they were shit. Full of holes etc, got mad, woke up 2 days before my birthday thinking "Gay... no birthday present". Accidentally brought up my previous Momo search on trademe and low and behold, a set were up in Rewa for $400... Text the guy and bought them on the spot. They're 2006 Momo T-Frames and they're bottom mount. Happy days!

Anyway, some pics of the installation and my interior..

Even though they're bottom mount and fit the stock rails, they would've been horribly off center. We used some steel to make horizontal rails that bolt to the stock bad boys..

Easy as pie, just test fitting everything

Factory rail bolting up to our horizontal rails

FIA labels

My matching factory wheel, stoked that they're the same brand

The seats in the car

Perfect fit, no hitting the doors, rear, seatbelts etc..

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:29 pm

I am such a tard, when I saw the thread title I was asking myself "how the hell would you fit back seats in an MX5?"

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 pm

They look great. Just what I,m after.
warrior

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Fixed back seats

Post by jif » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:33 pm

I had these for a whilehttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XG_N ... re+043.jpg

the stock seatbelt gave me some WOF-grief as the factory seat has a little welded nut thingy for the sliding belt-receiver, and the bucket seat didnt.  Swapping in the earlier "stalk" style receiver would've worked good though. Came with flat sliding rails that mounted it super low  . And yeah the fabric on it was custard-skin thin...!!

On 1 March 2014 14:27, warrior <mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz (mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
I am looking at installing a fixed back seat in my car. I will be pulling it out when I go for a wof.

If anyone out there has some in there car can they let me know what they think of them. How they installed them etc

Does it make it hard to use the standard seatbelt? I will be putting a harness in also at some stage.

And if you have any pics that would be great.

------------------------
warrior

[Posted via external email]

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 pm

MrGrey wrote:I am such a tard, when I saw the thread title I was asking myself "how the hell would you fit back seats in an MX5?"
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Anyone used M AND H seats from STA parts before? I went there today, had a sit in them and I didn't think they were to bad at all.

I am going back on Thursday with the passengers seat out of my car to try the fit but from the details I took it looks like they will fit just fine.

Yes, yes I know they are a cheaper seat but my car is only a weekender, I am in the seat for no longer than 1 hour at a time and as I said they felt quite good. Don't know how they will wear but they looked to be reasonable quality and the car only gets used in the weekends.

Price wise they cant be beat. Under $150.00 ea with sliders.

(cloth fixed back seats)
warrior

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Yeh I wouldn't be too concerned about brand, do they fit, are they comfy, are you happy with the looks? Then go hard

Junkwhale
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Junkwhale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:32 am

Another option I just stumbled on was this:

http://www.nzkw.com/nzkw-rst100-bucket-seat-p-742.html + these rails http://www.nzkw.com/nzkw-bolt-on-seat-s ... p-264.html

Now, the impression i've got of nzkw is that they're a budget brand (rightly or wrongly, that's just from seeing their stuff on trademe that looks pretty...basic).

However, that is apparently a FIA approved seat, weighs 8.6kg, isn't hideous and has some rails that purport to be bolt on for NA's (and i'd assume NBs) that are a "Super low design, lower than recaro and bride's etc" which sounds pretty promising...

Anyone actually tried one?

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 am

Yep. You sit higher than stock. my head touched the hardtop

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 pm

I've heard of certifiers giving NZKW seats a bit of an evil look when it comes to certs.
Have they changed their stance on the brand? Was considering them for a while.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 pm

if so, I would just put the oem seats back in for the cert as WOF testers and police officers will not give aftermarket seats a second glance as long as they are mounted properly.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:50 am

Obviously with the age difference of you (looking a lot more mature than someone still in their teens) You will not run into the issues that I did..

I almost got pink stickered for mine (that were certified) because my factory seat belt was not sufficient in the officers mind, so I put my harness on, I then got ticketed for that..

Bearing in mind the officer told me these seats were designed for a harness...
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Half way through my install of my new seat, I just got one at this stage to see how it goes.

So far it looks tight but I think it will work out.
warrior

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 am

SkilletKid wrote:I've heard of certifiers giving NZKW seats a bit of an evil look when it comes to certs.
Have they changed their stance on the brand? Was considering them for a while.
Fixed bucket seats don't require certification. Of course if you're getting other items certified that do require it then they'll need to be listed, but in and of themselves they're not a matter for certification.

As for WoF inspectors, as long as there's no airbag and the operation and positioning of your seatbelt, seat position etc. remains relatively the same then you will have no legitimate issue. That's obviously not to say that you won't get hassled, but... know your rights, and if you don't want to be hassled then don't drive a modified car :)

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Certification is not required provided that:
"The seat is either an unmodified OE seat from another vehicle, or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand; and
- the seat is unmodified, fitting the unmodified OE seat anchorages, and
- the seatbelt anchorage or operation is not affected; and
- the seat components (including brackets, runners and rails) are compatible with each other, ie they are either OE components from a production vehicle or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand, and are not fitted together by welding, and
- the relationship between seat, seat occupant, and location of the seatbelt anchorages is not affected."

While you might not ever be called out on it in a WOF, based on the above, a homemade adapter to fit the rails like Snapfrozen's setup would need certification.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 pm

so I have now sat down with a beer. Time to get explaining.

Okay, so Warrior, from memory your MX is Supercharged? (Correct me if I am wrong) That in itself needs to be certified as you are adding forced induction. Once a vehicle has been certified it become a low volume vehicle, meaning that any modifications (steering wheel, seats, roll bar etc) need to be noted on your cert plate.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Once you've vehicle has become a low volume vehicle, all common sense goes out the window ;) I'm surprised you don't have to get it re-certified if you change your tyre pressures.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Correct Chris, I am going for a cert very soon. I have fitted one seat and I think it should pass on them so will more than likely leave them in.

Fingers crossed.
warrior

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Ok that was not as easy as I thought (it never is right)

One seat is in and finished. The seat does not hit the door or the door handle, it touches the gearbox tunnel but not so it will damage the seat but this is way better than it hitting the door.
I am happy after a lot of mucking around with the angle of the seat (it was too upright) and the seat has 90% movement of the oem seat on the oem sliders. It is a little bit lower than the OEM seat but has a higher headrest so my head wont touch the roll bar anymore.

It JUST touches the roll bar but only just.

And the seat feels great.

For the money I paid I am over the moon. I will post pics tomorrow.
warrior

Return to “MX5 Discussion”