Random Coolant Leak

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

CRACKATTACK
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Random Coolant Leak

Post by CRACKATTACK » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Hey guys wasn't too sure where to post this but thought I'd try in here cos it seems like there's the most traffic through here and someone will hopefully have the answer to my problem :)
Ok so noticed a small patch of coolant under my car today, seems like it kind of dripped a lot and then stopped, managed to trace it back to the chassis rail on the drivers side pretty much in line with where the front wheel arch ends, there's a split/overlap of metal on the chassis rail and a drain hole(?) where it seems to be dripping from(the drain hole) and seeping though(the seam in the metal). I also noticed a bit which looks like its run down from the overflow but not as much as leaked from under the chassis rail. So I pulled the carpet up a bit on the drivers side and had a feel around, it was damp in a few patches but nothing sitting, I think to line up with where its coming from in the chassis rail, the leak would be coming in the section forward of the foot well, so I was thinking maybe a leak in the heater system? But is that not all located on the passenger side? Any help much appreciated as I don't want to dive in and pull the dash when it turns out to be something else.

Cheers

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:00 am

What colour is the water?...if you have coolant in your radiator then it should be a similar colour [does your radiator level drop]?

If its clear it could be rain water,even condensation, or if you have air con then they purge water which will drip and leave puddles.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

CRACKATTACK

Post by CRACKATTACK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:04 am

Def coolant mate, bright green, didn't seem like it'd lost much from the radiator, and my aircon has been removed some time ago so can't that. That's why its so baffling, it's definitelycoolant coming out of the forward chassis rail drain hole, I'll have a better look this afternoon, I'm also going to recirculate the water going into the heater core straight back into the block, see if.that stops it

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:54 am

Probably your overflow bottle..or the hose that comes out of it and its running back towards the chassis rail.
You are either over filling it or you have blocked coolant system,faulty thermostat,leaking water-pump or air entering the system.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

CRACKATTACK

Post by CRACKATTACK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:11 pm

That's the thing though, there's no trace of coolant anywhere near that hole from the overflow bottle or anywhere around the engine for that matter, it's just the hole and that seam that are wet, the rest is bone dry, waterpump went not long after I got the car so that was replaced along with the thermostat. I got a few pics, they turned out pretty crap so bear with me
The second pic is just a close up of the first, that's the front left tyre you can see for reference.
I also checked in the passenger side and that was completely dry, however having a closer look in the drivers side foot well, which was still slightly damp I noticed a tiny spot of green coolant around this plug
Tried to pry it out but didn't really want to budge, any ideas where that goes? As I'm thinking that might lead me to my problem, cheers for the replies dude!

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:49 am

That bung is nothing but I still feel the water is travelling from the overflow hose that comes out of the bottle & then running from there.Look at the pics and maybe take out the bottle and see if there is coolant stain anywhere.
Attachments
crackattack.jpg
crackattack2.jpg
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Return to “MX5 Discussion”