bye bye OEM spoiler

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

bye bye OEM spoiler

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 pm

I hope its ok to post this here, there doesn't seem to be a suitable section for this post to go in. Anyhow, I got tired of the look of my OEM boot spoiler and took it off today. Rather than leaving the holes left as water inlets I gave the boot a wipe down with meths and then covered it in carbonfibre vinyl... the main part of the boot was cake but the curve and lip at the back was an utter utter utter bastard!.

sigh

after spending over 2 hours on it I basically went 'bugger it' and sealed it up (yeah, pretty unprofessional on my behalf). I would post some pics but it was dark by the time I finished it and my phone takes crappy pics when lit by a torch (and even worse when you are trying to photograph something black at night :wink: )

As it currently stands I can live with it, and eventually I plan on getting a ducktail which will give me a 'get out of jail free' card because I will be able to take off the wrinkly bit and re apply a fresh strip of vinyl whilst leaving the main trunk lid with the existing vinyl intact.

Although I am currently saving up for some other bits'n'pieces, I would be interested to hear from anyone that may have a boot ducktail lying around that they might like to get rid of.
8)

Just because I am a considerate person, if this post did not interest you at all, then just to make it up to you, here is a cute picture of a sloth.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Sun May 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Slothes aren't cute their rapey :lol:

1991 NA6 Mariner Blue with a twist of BP

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 pm

I shall never look at sloths the same way ever again.

siren676

Post by siren676 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm

haha i swear you wont stop until your whole car is covered in carbon fibre vinyl :lol:
1990 NA6C MX5

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Oem spoiler

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 26, 2013 10:21 pm

You could roll out the vinyl. Attach a personal plate....PRINCE HUSAIN.... and attach an mx5 ducktail for aerodynamics while flying. :shock: .... By the way. Keep your sloths toes away from my soft top

Shane.
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Shane. » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm

That sloths got moves :lol:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 26, 2013 10:55 pm

I had contemplated covering it completely but curves are a pain in the ass. It is however a good alternative for covering up blemishes etc :wink:

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Hahaha those sloth memes are awesome, +1 Karma for that one. Its the last pic that gets me everytime.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 am

Version 1:

Theres no picture of any MX5, without spending too long on the thread, I basically don't know what this is about, it's in the MX5-General Section, why its here I've no idea, there is little (no?) information about MX5 cars.

Does the forum need a playroom, VIP lounge, humor, casual or 'animal lovers' sub-forum for this kind of thing maybe?

No offence to the OP, and don't mean to thread-jack but as the thread is lacking useful informatin on MX5's I question whether it should be the MX5-General sub-forum.

Version 2:

This thread is annoyingly needless & devoid completely of any MX5 imagery yet full of bloody stupid animals why doesn't someone move it out of the MX5-General Forum.
Harlan

WTB: NZ New MX5

Black Darth Vader Turbo Miata

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Mon May 27, 2013 12:17 pm

If the 'What did you do to your roadster today?' thread didn't get locked for no reason apart from it being 70 or so pages long (which is a completely normal length for group contribution threads on every other forum out there) then random threads like this could be written as a post in that thread instead.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon May 27, 2013 7:40 pm

ummm harlan, did you even read any of the text? or did you see the pic of the sloth and the replies and get upset at the threads existence?

heres the TL:DR version....

-I removed my old spoiler.
-I didn't take pics because it was too dark.
-does anyone happen to have a ducktail that they don't want? (I realize its a long shot, but it never hurts to ask.)
-I only own 1 car, so any thread where I am talking about car related stuff then you can safely assume that I am talking in relation to MX5's.

*if* we still had a "what did you do to your roadster thread it would have gone in there but it was closed so I only had the option of starting a new thread. I realize you probably think the internet is for serious business only, but that is simply not how social groups operate.

I understand that tone and emotion generally does not convey well in text, and even tho' you used the caveat 'no offense to the OP' but I will be honest and say that my initial reaction when reading your reply was "Really? .... are you for real?"

and here, just because we had some sunlight today I took the opportunity to take a pic.

fooesboy
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by fooesboy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 pm

And here was me looking forward to another sloth pic... I'm crying on the inside

authentic

Post by authentic » Mon May 27, 2013 8:38 pm

I guess next time when you make a thread, have everything 'ready' i.e. have a picture of whatever you have done along to post along with your write up. If you can't take one because it is dark, then wait until you have a picture in the light before you post the thread..

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 pm

duly noted, I will bear that in mind in the future.

This thread does however raise (what I consider) a valid point, in that we do kind of miss a "what did I do to my roadster" thread just like pretty much every single other car forum. Sure, they run into many pages but that is simply the nature of them.

I personally find it interesting what others do to their cars even on minor levels.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”