Soft top stitching

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Soft top stitching

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 am

I have repaired my rain rail this week. However I still have water coming in. It is coming through the stitching. I can see it weeping through. The stitching is just above the rain rail. The stitching is not seen from the outside of car as it sits below the metal body work. It can be seen above the rear parcel tray from the inside approx 25 mm above the top of the rain rail. I can see ithe water coming through the stitching. ...is there a reliable product that can be applied to the stitching or does it need to go to an auto trimmer/upholsterer? My rain rail is clear along its entire length and does NOT leak behind it onto the rear parcel tray? My drain holes are clear also

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sun May 26, 2013 11:12 am

Sorry cant help but where did you get your rail from and how much did it cost?
warrior

GRUVBB

Soft top

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 26, 2013 1:29 pm

I repaired my rain rail. It was toast. Time was against me and I tried to fix it while still in car. I don't have a shed at moment so had to fix and reinstate after work and before nightfall. After first reinstall it still had a minor leak so I got one off Ross as I am lending car to a visitor from Australia this week. Now that my original rail is out of car I will be able to fix it up as a spare. Will PM you details.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 26, 2013 2:11 pm

most outdoor camping places like F.C.O sell a seam sealer for tents designed specifically to seal the seams where they are stitched. may be worth a shot.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

ross
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ross » Sun May 26, 2013 3:15 pm

I use RTV silicone sealant. Run it along the stitching and smear it in.
Its easy to clean off when it dries.

Euen

Post by Euen » Sun May 26, 2013 6:09 pm

I've used bees wax furniture polish on stitching. Works well.

To repair cracks in the rain rail, I used Flashtac tape. It is an aluminium foil tape with a bitumous backing. I used about half a roll to hold my rain rail together. Car is nice and dry inside now.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sun May 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Even candle-wax will repel most of the water!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

GRUVBB

Soft top

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 26, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm going to investigate using some SIKAFLEX. It's a better product than conventional silicone. Will let you know how it goes. Their factory and outlet is just up the road from home so will quiz their technical department. I was thinking about the options and thought the wax type solution might run a bit in warm weather. The silicone approach should remain intact and only ned one application. Sikaflex used on marine fittings and impervious to harsh environments.

GRUVBB

Soft top

Post by GRUVBB » Mon May 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Spoke with technical dept at Sikaflex today. They did not think their product would suffice. Purchased neutral cure Black RTV as per Ross post. Removed rail clamps etc. takes less than 5 mins now to free up rear of softop. Applied bead of silicone to stitching and smeared to uniform contour. Looks like a vulcanised rubber seal. Eager to reinstate tomorrow and check its integrity. The majority of this seam is hidden from sight below the boot line. Only visible at the ends on the curved section for about200 mm each end. Only sealed on outside edge to keep water out not keep it in. Thanks for that tip Ross. I purchased silicone from Placemakers not mx5mart.

GRUVBB

Soft top stitching

Post by GRUVBB » Thu May 30, 2013 7:21 am

I have sealed my stitching with RTV silicon as suggested by Ross. Pocture attached to my rain rail repair thread under Water Leaking Into Cockpit for anyone interested....thanks for the tip Ross!

Return to “MX5 Discussion”