Gear knob; recommendations & size of thread

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

amaurosisbrown
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Gear knob; recommendations & size of thread

Post by amaurosisbrown » Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 am

I'm looking for a nice plain, spherical, brushed alloy gear-knob.

Something like this from GarageStar:
Or this from MX5 Mania:

Does anyone know of a NZ-based company/supplier/TradeMe? I would prefer to buy in NZ before heading abroad.

Also will the size of thread for my NA Mx5 be 10mm x1.25 or 12mm x1.25?

Cheers.

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Thu May 23, 2013 12:38 pm

10x1.25

I got a GK Tech one off trade me. Here it is:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 286271.htm

Easy enough to sand away the black? If you have something other than your shifter that has a 10x1.25 thread.

EDIT: Cheers for the correction, changed post so others who read it won't get confused.
Last edited by SkilletKid on Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu May 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Isn't it 10x1.25mm for an NA?

amaurosisbrown
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by amaurosisbrown » Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm

I've had a search online and it seems the NA has a 10mm x 1.25 thread. Can anyone confirm this?

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm

I found the confirmation email for my shift knob I ordered a while back and it is definitely 10x1.25.

This is for a 1991 NA6.

ross
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ross » Thu May 23, 2013 10:00 pm

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by chris » Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Ross, I'm sorry but do you ever post anything useful other than "I have this in stock at the moment"

You know, seriously it is great that you are running a business for the mx5 community, but sometimes it is cool to help people out as opposed to trying to make them a customer.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Whatever gearknob you look at,the heavier the better,There is a reason why factory shifter knobs have weight in them to begin with,where as a FWD cars weigh nothing

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri May 24, 2013 9:10 am

chris wrote:Ross, I'm sorry but do you ever post anything useful other than "I have this in stock at the moment"

You know, seriously it is great that you are running a business for the mx5 community, but sometimes it is cool to help people out as opposed to trying to make them a customer.
That was a useful post Chris- the OP asked for options for gear knobs, Ross gave him a couple of options. What's the problem there? :roll:
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

Timmo wrote:
chris wrote:Ross, I'm sorry but do you ever post anything useful other than "I have this in stock at the moment"

That was a useful post Chris- the OP asked for options for gear knobs, Ross gave him a couple of options. What's the problem there? :roll:
Advice as opposed to making everybody a customer.

Just my honest opinion. It's cool that he is still a part of the forum, but it does grind my gears that nearly all of his posts are about his business.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Gear knobs

Post by GRUVBB » Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 am

I am new to this forum.... I have read people bagging Ross and his use of electronic devices and not reply to them.... Therefor When I wanted to contact him I rang direct and spoke person to person. He was very helpful. He even delivered my parts to Auckland. At same time he met with multiple people. He was very genuine honest and sincere. He did not push his products.... He is old school as I am. We are of the generation that doesn't spend mega hours behind a computer. He is busy with his business his other interests, family and pets. He did not charge all of us for his time nor did he try to get a sale.... He offered advice on hazy windscreens only a couple of days ago without pishing a product from his vast array. Lets not get into a sledging session as happened other day. If people want to sledge others join the Black Caps and do it to the Aussies and Poms etc... He is simply putting a known option up for people to be aware of. The choice is ours if we want to be a customer or not..... We choose our own path... Look for the good and it will be there or look for the bad and it will be there also. Half full half empty glass syndrome.... Either buy of him or don't. I will be. No need to place blatant comments about others. It can be a reflection of how you treat others. Treat them as you wish to be treated. RESPECT RULES!!!

chris

Re: Gear knobs

Post by chris » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am

GRUVBB wrote:I am new to this forum.... I have read people bagging Ross and his use of electronic devices and not reply to them.... Therefor When I wanted to contact him I rang direct and spoke person to person. He was very helpful. He even delivered my parts to Auckland. At same time he met with multiple people. He was very genuine honest and sincere. He did not push his products.... He is old school as I am. We are of the generation that doesn't spend mega hours behind a computer. He is busy with his business his other interests, family and pets. He did not charge all of us for his time nor did he try to get a sale.... He offered advice on hazy windscreens only a couple of days ago without pishing a product from his vast array. Lets not get into a sledging session as happened other day. If people want to sledge others join the Black Caps and do it to the Aussies and Poms etc... He is simply putting a known option up for people to be aware of. The choice is ours if we want to be a customer or not..... We choose our own path... Look for the good and it will be there or look for the bad and it will be there also. Half full half empty glass syndrome.... Either buy of him or don't. I will be. No need to place blatant comments about others. It can be a reflection of how you treat others. Treat them as you wish to be treated. RESPECT RULES!!!
I never bagged him. I have before and I do apologize for that.

All I was saying is, I would have more respect for him if he actually said "This is the thread size of Miata knobs x.xx * x.xx We have a couple of gear knobs that will fit in stock if you want to check them out"

This is one thing I don't like about the internet, people will get their panties up in a bunch because something someone wrote came out differently to the way it was intended.

OP, the thread pitch you are looking for is M10 x 1.25
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 pm

chris wrote:
Timmo wrote:

Just my honest opinion. It's cool that he is still a part of the forum, but it does grind my gears that nearly all of his posts are about his business.
The original poster stated:
amaurosisbrown wrote:I'm looking for a nice plain, spherical, brushed alloy gear-knob.

Does anyone know of a NZ-based company/supplier/TradeMe? I would prefer to buy in NZ before heading abroad.

Cheers.
So you are saying that if, in the future, someone asks for a part and another member has that part then instead of saying 'I have that part' they should just be quiet?
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Timmo wrote:
chris wrote:
Timmo wrote: That was a useful post Chris- the OP asked for options for gear knobs, Ross gave him a couple of options. What's the problem there? :roll:

The original poster stated:
amaurosisbrown wrote:I'm looking for a nice plain, spherical, brushed alloy gear-knob.

Cheers.
So you are saying that if, in the future, someone asks for a part and another member has that part then instead of saying 'I have that part' they should just be quiet?
Yes Timmo, that is exactly what I am saying...

Sadly sarcasm doesn't get portrayed particularly well over the interwebs.

Because you missed my point entirely I will attempt to get it through to you as clear as can be okay?

Are you paying attention?

What I said was meant as a suggestion (Noun An idea or plan put forward for consideration. The action of doing this.) To Ross.

Why did I suggest this? Because (as I have said before) Just about all of the posts that I have seen from Ross are along the lines of "I have just got this in stock"

I have no problem with you mentioning you have it in stock Ross, but when that is all you ever say in any of your posts it does get rather annoying and not terribly beneficial to anyone other than you.

The question (In regards to the thread pitch) has been answered in a few posts above.

Check out the thread "miata/MX5 parts websites' there are some really useful links there.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Fri May 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Back on track...I machined up a wooden pattern. Got it cast in LM6 (From memory) aluminium and machined it up.
I was some time ago but will check if I still have the pattern lying around...

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri May 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Sorry Chris, nothing personal. I see your point but think you are incorrect and the comment completely unnecesary.

Ross IS contributing by saying he has this item or that item in stock. He also IS running a business. Being self employed is very, very difficult and I quite frankly admire his restraint.

I think having him on here and contributing in his own way is beneficial.

Overall I am not happy with the bashing either, on any forum member. I stayed away from the previous thread but feel guilty in continuing to not say what I think....

I welcome any further coment or dialogue on this topic via PM.

I apologise to the OP for the continued de railment. :(

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Does Ross contribute financially to the Forum? Given all the advertising he does, I hope so.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 pm

i think what chris is getting at is that traders should participate in the general banter of the forums rather than only popping up to sell something.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Man I am useless with words.

Thanks slydit, said perfectly.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6