Gearbox turret oil

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Gearbox turret oil

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm changing fluids at moment.
Have removed gear stick as per miata instructions. Can not see any oil in there. Have inserted approx 90 mls of oil. This has filled the round hole where the gear stick locates into.
The miata pictures say to either insert 90cc or till it is full.... My query is if it is only the hole that stick locates into or the complete cavity that the selector mechanism moves inside.
I am unable to determine from the pics on the forumn. If someone has correct reply for this I would be most appreciative.

My engine originally had a Nissan oil dipstick which would not seal. I got another from wrecker. Have measured in 3.6 litres of oil which is now bang on the full line of my $6.00 secondhand dipstick from Pick a Part.... Miata said 3.4 litres if oil filter not changed and 3.8 with new filter. I went 3.6 as the new filter would not hold 400 mls. It is not TARDIS branded :lol:

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat May 11, 2013 4:29 pm

This is what i know..80-90 mls in the turret and then sealant to the cover.

And fill till its full but no more than 90cc just in case there is some already in there.
Attachments
turret.jpg
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

GRUVBB

Gearbox turret

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Sweeto. Had put 90 mls in but had trouble getting stick back in. I think the plastic collar was slightly binding up instead of locating. It's back together and HEAPS smoother. Amazing what a bourbon can do if something not ready to locate when you want it to.
Going to leave gearbox oil till I can use a hoist. Will be far less stressful. Rubber arms and eyeballs not operating ok at ground level.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”