Time for an audio upgrade

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 pm

I am no expert but I am happy to try and help :D

basically, the fusions are pretty good bang for your buck.... they are not cheap and nasty and perform ok for the cost. Of course expensive high quality speakers are better but I personally don't want to spend a fortune because a car is a "vulnerable item" .... by that I mean all it takes is a car thief or another numbnut driver crashing into you and your car is gone/fubar and you have to start again.

In regards to bass output you will never get amazing bass using just the door/headrest speakers but a lot of it comes down to what you are listening to. For example, listening to the cult or supertramp sounds fine without mega bass but dubstep and drum n bass sound stupid and pointless without it.

If you don't want to install an active sub then I would agree with your choice of the fusions in the headrest, but I would also consider looking into something like dynamat or a similar product to dampen outside noise .
http://www.dynamat.co.nz/

I hope this helps a tad :)

-=edit=- by the way, the only reason I went JVC was simply due to the cost at the time of purchase, they were on special and were within my desired output range. I think I got all 6 speakers for less than $100.

oh and one last thing, pop the door speaker covers out and behind the metal grille is a fine black woven material. rip that material out and pop your covers back on (I used a craft knife to do a tidy job) that mesh stops a lot of high frequency sound and will help your door speakers sound less muffled/muddy.

Due to the mx5's cabin design you will never get as good quality audio as a 2013 sedan but you can get pretty damn good if you are willing to put the effort in.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Audio upgrade

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Cheers for input Mr Grey
I too not interested in forking out plenty of dollars on sounds.
I'm twice the age of the car and went down that track of stereo purchases in the eighties.
My ears have suffered as a result of over use of amps and EQ's. :shock:

I am looking at three sets for less than a handy also.
I listen to jazz blues etc so not interested in compounding my kidneys.
With the roof down I always hear numerous comments on custom paint job. :lol:
No need to communicate with the blind from a km away with super subsonics.

My money will be going on traction improvements with the wet weather coming on.

Our car came with waterproof marine speakers secured to roll bars. I'm hoping this will be redundant once drivers headset reinstated.
I repaired passenger side with silicone to repair torn cones. This worked a treat for now but want the reliability of NEW.

Nice idea to remove screen from door speakers. That's the sort of number 8 wire thinking that we kiwis are renowned for. I'll throw you a karma for that and I'm sure others will modify theirs as a result of reading.

I have not yet gained access to post pics but will do once I prove myself.

Next job is to replace all fluids. Thanks again.

GRUVBB

Audio upgrade

Post by GRUVBB » Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Mr Grey. Im TOO newbie to give a karma but still appreciate your post.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you for the kind words :D

The information given to me by this awesome community has helped me a lot and its my pleasure to try and give a little back myself.

welcome to the forum, its nice here and there are some great people who loiter here.

chris

Post by chris » Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 am

Good write up!

And as he stated, this is one of the nicer forums. Yes people (myself and others) troll. But you get used to it =]
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Re: Audio Upgrade

Post by dynofiend » Mon May 06, 2013 8:07 pm

GRUVBB wrote:snip
Your best bang for buck will be in replacing the door speakers for some components. That is, speakers that come with separate tweeters. You mount the bass units in the original location, and then the tweeters up at the top of the door, facing you, as far forward along the door as you can.

If you mount coaxials (the tweeter is inside the bass unit) in your door, the speakers are firing at your knees. This is less than ideal. Mounting components with the tweeters in the upper doors facing you, high frequency sounds are improved, which actually in turn, can help improve the bass sounds!

As has been mentioned, a great idea to improve bass response from the door speakers is to install dynamat. At least 50% of the improvement in listening experience in a car comes from soundproofing, not just nice speakers.

Be wary of looking at speakers frequency response specs for an idea of how they sound in relation to bass and high frequency. They don't always do what you would think. The best thing to do is try and listen to them in a store first.

My personal preference is to ditch the headrest speakers as they muddy the stereo image, install good quality components up front, find room for a sub in the cabin somewhere, amp everything, and add soundproofing to the doors.

Have fun on your quest :D

Return to “MX5 Discussion”