Track days

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm

I've been looking at them as well, I like the fact that the bolt into the seatbelt tower, my Donbar is inside, so just that bit too narrow for my liking.

I should have brought one of these over when I brought in all the conversion kit, hate to think how much it would cost just by itself.

We all need to get a 20ft container brought in from the US with bits and pieces.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:17 pm

The rollbar I have affects the seat travel :( My current plan is to get my hands on a cheap Elise seat and then mount it in which means I can keep the roll bar 8)

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Donovan wrote:I've been looking at them as well, I like the fact that the bolt into the seatbelt tower, my Donbar is inside, so just that bit too narrow for my liking.

I should have brought one of these over when I brought in all the conversion kit, hate to think how much it would cost just by itself.

We all need to get a 20ft container brought in from the US with bits and pieces.
Depends what you want really (and there may be some considerations around certing here too)- That type of bar, while looking (and probably working) better than the don-bar, does interfere with the seatbelt mechanisms- This may mean a failed WOF if the belt doesn't retract by itself?
It also requires cutting the parcel shelf which shouldn't be a problem but could be?

Shipping is the killer - I enquired about getting a Deuce bar over from the US but shipping was up around $800 by itself from memory. However, given the number of people that want to get into track days and want a decent roll bar (non motorsport but still good), then bringing a container with a group buy could be worthwhile?
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah getting a WOF could be a pain ... I just got failed on my frame rail reinforcements coz I put holes in the floor!
I did point out the other holes in the floor (drain holes etc) but that particular inspector was going with the "it's not factory" line. - even though it is now obviously stronger than factory.
But it's up to the person inspecting it, so i took it to Manon Butler motors as they do race cars and he was cool with it! Should have gone there first instead of trying to get a cheaper one. Dumbass.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 pm

I took it to vtnz Albany and the old dude up there was thoroughly impressed with the full butterfly brace

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 pm

He failed your wof cos you drilled a hole in a non structural part of the floor!?!? Guess he wouldve failed me for the fire extinguisher bolted to my floor too, despite it being done to msnz standard.

Did he get his WOF license from a cereal box? Ffs.

No wonder we have so many unsafe cars on the roads, cos wof inspectors are looking for all the wrong things!
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:44 am

Angreal wrote:I took it to vtnz Albany and the old dude up there was thoroughly impressed with the full butterfly brace
Well sure, coz it does look pretty fancy!
That's the next thing I'm going to try and get made to tie it all together...

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

If your going to ship a roll bar from the states dont get a harddog get a blackbird fabworx they are so much nicer!

http://www.blackbirdfabworx.com/

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 am

Attesting to this!

His work is so fucking amazing.

RMS
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by RMS » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:48 am

Pukekohe have pretty regular open days (roughly once a week), they're a fair bit cheaper than HD, slightly closer to auckland and no requirement for a roll bar, although obviously not a bad idea eh.

Although I hear they're changing the track so maybe they'll be out of action for a bit?

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

And Puke is a much scarier track than HD, no run offs, ripple strips like curbs and holes in the track :p :lol:

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Kieran wrote:
If your going to ship a roll bar from the states dont get a harddog get a blackbird fabworx they are so much nicer!

http://www.blackbirdfabworx.com/
I just wish there was a locally made (i.e. a design template, not one offs all the time) alternative. If you could retail it ~ $500, and make it look good, you'd get enough customers to make it worthwhile I reckon.

Currently we have:
Style bars
Second hand Japanese roll bars off trademe (some of the alloy bars don't like they are up to much to be honest)
The Don-bar
A custom fabricated bar (I was given an estimate of over $1000 to make a double hoop roll bar)

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Timmo wrote:I just wish there was a locally made (i.e. a design template, not one offs all the time) alternative. If you could retail it ~ $500, and make it look good, you'd get enough customers to make it worthwhile I reckon.

Currently we have:
Style bars
Second hand Japanese roll bars off trademe (some of the alloy bars don't like they are up to much to be honest)
The Don-bar
A custom fabricated bar (I was given an estimate of over $1000 to make a double hoop roll bar)
That was done about 12 - 13 years ago. They were unpainted and retailing for about $450. Ten bars were made but no one was interested at the time. I believe about 2 were sold and the rest were scrapped.
Again I believe the jig may still be around but who knows where...

13r
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 13r » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 pm

And Pukekohe is now closed...

And wont be so cheap once opened up again...

RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Aha, out of action until february. I hope it doesn't get too expensive, I thought the council was footing the bill for the upgrade?

I found that HD was never doing a track day when it suited me generally, Puke has 3-4 more track days than HD.

Btw, my local track where I live in Dresden, Germany now charges 405 EUROS for a track day! won't be doing many of those then! I think it'd be better to make the trip to the ring because it's only another 100 euros

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 pm

There is a track day at Hampton downs on the 16th of Dec that still has place free I believe, at least 4 MX5's booked in, come along and join the fun. I'll be running the new brakes from 949 Racing, so hopefully can stop, maybe.

http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/201/T ... 20Hamptons

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:13 am

Cool- could be keen. Are there requirements for a roll bar? I can't see any mention of one?

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:18 am

Yes, need a roll bar for any of the Playday on track events

chris

Post by chris » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:47 am

You also need a 5.7 litre V8 if you are driving a mx-5 otherwise you will be called gay. ;)
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:49 am

Guarantee a factory engine'd MX5 is faster around Hampton with that money spent elsewhere :lol:

(But why would you do that when you could have a muthafucken V8!!!!)

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:06 am

Snapfrozen wrote:Guarantee a factory engine'd MX5 is faster around Hampton with that money spent elsewhere :lol:

(But why would you do that when you could have a muthafucken V8!!!!)
Maybe, maybe not. If the car cost me the amount that every other mechanic has said they would charge for the conversion (not what those pricks in Hamilton are trying to charge me) then I think by time someone has added up the costs of mods to their car to get it circulating Hampton's in 1:18's then it would be far off (plus it would be even less if I had got off my fat arse and done as much as I could myself). Plus I have got a heap of tweaking and stuffing around with things to get it lapping quicker without even turning up the wick on the engine, so 1:16's is the aim, and then I'll look at getting more HP out of the engine, after all, at the moment, it has been detuned to run less than what it was when it left the factory in the R8 Maloo.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:17 am

Ah nice, surprisingly easier to get lap times out of these cars, semi slicks, brakes and a good driver. The downside comes from the straights... My goal is to lap faster than my civic :P

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 am

Maybe I might have to change the driver to get real quick times out of it.

13r

Post by 13r » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:36 am

Donovan wrote:Maybe I might have to change the driver to get real quick times out of it.
Oh, me, me, me, pick me pleeeeeease!

I'm not very good, I just want to drive it :oops:

chris

Post by chris » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:52 am

It's a V8!!!! in a MX5!!!

I'm sorry but that is fucking awesome. Whether it kicks ass or not. That is sick :D
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”