Night Speed Drag Wars Round One 2nd November

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Donovan wrote:
Skilfil wrote:I'll be down there filming, anyone participating that would be ok with me chucking a small camera and mic into your car?? Would be much appreciated. Its only a shit camera but wouldn't mind the practise.
No worries if you want to shove it in mine
:D I was going to try with yours whether you knew or not, no way I'm missing out on a V8 MX5.

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Ill be bringing mine down for a go, interested in how it compares to my starlet.
1990 NA6C MX5

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 pm

siren676 wrote:Ill be bringing mine down for a go, interested in how it compares to my starlet.
Slower I guarentee. I saw a video of a Roadster being beaten by a Honda City in the 1/4. In saying that said Honda city was the CR-i version with 100PS and 700kg...

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

My starlets a 1500cc n/a with around the same power and weight as the mx5 so it will probably be close
1990 NA6C MX5

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I'll be heading down there. Donovan I'll try and spot you to say hi.

Number is 021 0238 5500 if anyone wants to meet up for a yarn while we're down there.
Cool sunroof bro...

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:56 pm

I'll be the guy walking around with a DSLR wearing a blue Stig shirt or a grey and black striped hoodie. Should be in a team of 3.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Il be leaving the Shore at 4ish aswell Meet you guys down there I guess, in the Blue NA give me a text if you want to meet at Bombay Donovan befoer hand or any one else going down...

Ben 02102593252

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Id be keen to meet at bombay and cruise down in a group
1990 NA6C MX5

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:51 pm

How about instead of the BP at the bombays, try and meet at the one at Drury, it's on the same side of the motorway we are heading and is a hell of a lot easier to get out of than the bombays, especially if you want to cruise in a line and one of you gets stuck behind some car that doesn't seem to realise that the can pull out in front of that car that is 300m down the road without getting hit.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 pm

I wont be leaving the shore till at least 6 so will meet you guys down there. Should be a sweet night's racing!
Cool sunroof bro...

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Donovan wrote:How about instead of the BP at the bombays, try and meet at the one at Drury, it's on the same side of the motorway we are heading and is a hell of a lot easier to get out of than the bombays, especially if you want to cruise in a line and one of you gets stuck behind some car that doesn't seem to realise that the can pull out in front of that car that is 300m down the road without getting hit.
Either ways cool, although if its the Drury one ill have to go north to papakura then jump on the southbound to get there. Might be easier for me to just tag along as you go past Ramarama
1990 NA6C MX5

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 pm

This will be a pretty boss night then! Super looking forward to it! Is the BP up on the Right hand side? after you take the off ramp?

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Yeah at bombay bp is on the right, caltex is on the left
1990 NA6C MX5

13r
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 13r » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 am

I'll be down there, scored some free tickets :D

siren676

Post by siren676 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Are you guys still meeting at bombay? If so Ill get to there at 5ish and wait for you there
1990 NA6C MX5

siren676

Post by siren676 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Had an alright night, car didnt want to get off the line without axle tramp and i kept going into 5th instead of 3rd. :oops:
Set a best time of 17.7 in qualifying, could have got slightly better if i could get it off the line cleanly.

Called it quits before racing started so went home as i have an early start in the morning
1990 NA6C MX5

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:45 am

Well that supercharged Lexus V8 MX5 was nuts. Didn't manage to get a camera in Donovans MX5 because it seemed to disappear each time off the track.

Also sorry to the guy in the low red MX5, I was standing right where you wanted to go trying to figure out what you were doing :lol:

Good night though, decent turn out.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Ran a best time of 17.22 with an RT of 0.22 So was a pretty good night despite the little 1.6 brakes not pulling up at the end, having to use the hand brake to stop :?

siren676

Post by siren676 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 pm

:shock: better sort the brakes out before you put in the new motor

Skilfil wrote:...

Also sorry to the guy in the low red MX5, I was standing right where you wanted to go trying to figure out what you were doing :lol:

No probs dude. I didn't really know where I was going either
1990 NA6C MX5

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 am

Skilfil wrote:Well that supercharged Lexus V8 MX5 was nuts. Didn't manage to get a camera in Donovans MX5 because it seemed to disappear each time off the track.

Did you put your camera in the white MX5. We were chatting away when someone came over and grabbed their camera out of his car, wasn't sure whether it was you or not.

My car didn't disappear, just had it lined up to go on the strip or parked up on the grass. Ended up getting a total of 7 runs, but I really never sorted out how to launch the thing the quickest, so with a decent driver I'm sure it would have gone a lot quicker, along with tyres with sidewalls instead of the rubber band track tyres I have on it, and a better ratio diff. With the 3.08 diff in it, I was launching in 2nd gear (still wheel spinning at least a 1/3 of the track) and then about 2/3 of the track down would grab second, and that was it, just needed two gear changes (maybe get into 4th if I got off the line ok).

My best practice time was 13.695, so since they stuffed me in the Dial Your Own, I put in a time of 3.7. First heat, tyres cold, and ran a 14.2, fortuntly the guy I was up against must have duffed a gear change half way down, and I ended up winning it. Second one I decided to try doing a burn out to see if that would put any heat in the tyres (I just thought the others guys were showing off on the line, rather than doing a burnout for any real purpose) as none of the other runs I had ever done that (manly cause I didn't want to stuff it up in front of a crowd), so did a pathetic little one, lined up, got a decent start, absoulutly blitzed the other guy, and then found I ran a 13.4 with a terminal speed of 180km/h, and since I blew my dial your own time, I was out of there.

Figure with the right diff and tyre changes, should easily get half a second off that time. Best part of all, didn't end up breaking anything for once.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 am

Donovan wrote:Best part of all, didn't end up breaking anything for once.
You didn't set your brakes on fire? That would've impressed the crowd :wink:

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Donovan wrote:
Skilfil wrote:Well that supercharged Lexus V8 MX5 was nuts. Didn't manage to get a camera in Donovans MX5 because it seemed to disappear each time off the track.

Did you put your camera in the white MX5. We were chatting away when someone came over and grabbed their camera out of his car, wasn't sure whether it was you or not.

My car didn't disappear, just had it lined up to go on the strip or parked up on the grass. Ended up getting a total of 7 runs, but I really never sorted out how to launch the thing the quickest, so with a decent driver I'm sure it would have gone a lot quicker, along with tyres with sidewalls instead of the rubber band track tyres I have on it, and a better ratio diff. With the 3.08 diff in it, I was launching in 2nd gear (still wheel spinning at least a 1/3 of the track) and then about 2/3 of the track down would grab second, and that was it, just needed two gear changes (maybe get into 4th if I got off the line ok).

My best practice time was 13.695, so since they stuffed me in the Dial Your Own, I put in a time of 3.7. First heat, tyres cold, and ran a 14.2, fortuntly the guy I was up against must have duffed a gear change half way down, and I ended up winning it. Second one I decided to try doing a burn out to see if that would put any heat in the tyres (I just thought the others guys were showing off on the line, rather than doing a burnout for any real purpose) as none of the other runs I had ever done that (manly cause I didn't want to stuff it up in front of a crowd), so did a pathetic little one, lined up, got a decent start, absoulutly blitzed the other guy, and then found I ran a 13.4 with a terminal speed of 180km/h, and since I blew my dial your own time, I was out of there.

Figure with the right diff and tyre changes, should easily get half a second off that time. Best part of all, didn't end up breaking anything for once.
Yeah that was me, all good next time I'll have an HD camera anyway that'll be better.

Yeah definitely run a thicker profile, I found when I ran my Golf GTI even with only making 150hp, the factory 205/50/15s I had on the front were Toyo T1R's, I was only cracking just over 17.

Then I stuck on my steel rims that had some shit house 195/60/15's on them, did a fairly decent burnout, and broke my DYO with my first run into the 16's.

Thats what a better profile and burnout did for me, compared to a usually much better quality tyre and lower profile.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Guess if I ever do it again, will need to find a cheap set of 15" rims.

Don't suppose you go any video footage of any of my runs?

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Donovan wrote:Guess if I ever do it again, will need to find a cheap set of 15" rims.

Sorting through the footage tonight, I know I got you on camera a few times not sure about the other camera we had out there. I'll be out all season for Dragwars so if you ever go again I'll be there.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Donovan wrote:Guess if I ever do it again, will need to find a cheap set of 15" rims.

Nope but a some photos have crawled out of the wood work.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”