Stick on Registration Plate

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

hoodie
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Stick on Registration Plate

Post by hoodie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi,
I wanting to tiding up the front end of my MX and have ordered a stick on number plate. Having done so I have been warned it may not be legal??
I have researched this (
(section 6(a) refers) it appears the registration plate has to be mounted "upright."
My question is: :o Do the authorities strictly enforce this? A stick on registration plate on the lower I donnet is very visible but not upright!!
Or is it down to interprtation??
I don't want to be arguing law interpretation with an offiecr handing out a ticket...
Hoodie

flyingboatfish
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by flyingboatfish » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 pm

I know this isn't answering your question BUT my front plate is a sticker and have had no issues what so ever from police.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:06 pm

It used to be illegal but as of April this year it is now legal provided it's the same size as a factory plate and is printed on reflective film.
Cool sunroof bro...

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 pm

I have a stick on plate, never been pulled over about it, and it is even a bit smaller than the standard plate as well.

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by chris » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 pm

I need the biggest one I can find! Just to compensate!
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't have one, but my friend with an E46 M3 had a stick on plate, he bought it from BMW like that I think?

Although he never got any trouble from police, a parking warden gave him a fine for it :? , this was well over a year ago though!

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm

my wife got a 250 dollar fine from some jumped up plod in hamilton.
There was an ammendment in 2011 that now has a loophole to allow stick on plates. if you got a fine you have a defense hole you can drive a truck through.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Zadkiel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Zadkiel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm

punkoutnz wrote:It used to be illegal but as of April this year it is now legal provided it's the same size as a factory plate and is printed on reflective film.
Got any documentation of this? It definitely was illegal in the past.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 pm

theres a few posts on here abut it.
there was an ammendment to the plates legislation in late 2011...
RED '90 TURBO.

tonys1100s
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by tonys1100s » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Where do you get stick on plates?

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 pm

just the local sign guy. gave him the measurements and he made a reflective white/black plate
RED '90 TURBO.

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been dead for a couple of months but I just wanted to clarify for anyone who comes looking.

IGNORE ALL OF THIS AND GO TO THE MAJOR EDIT PART

Stick on plates are NOT legal. The NZTA website states the following:

"Only registration plates issued by the NZTA are legal, which means you can't make your own plate or purchase one from an overseas website for example. Displaying a non-approved registration plate or something that could be mistaken for plates could mean a maximum fine of $5000."

Further to this someone mentioned that there were changes to the legislation regarding number plates. The changes were made 1 May 2011 and if nothing else they made it much harder to get away with having a stick on number plate siting that a vehicle's number plate:

- MUST be embossed and coloured either aluminium on black (old style) or black on reflective white.

- MUST have an aluminium base material.

I'm sure it won't be a big deal in most cases but if you get a fine there is absolutely no way of getting out of it...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope it helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAJOR EDIT

I was looking at the previous year's amendment and didn't notice that there was another on 1 October 2012.

This amendment deals with the exact same subsection and has a NEW clause that states:

"(5) The base material of an ordinary plate must be aluminium or any other material that may be determined by the Registrar.

(6) Despite subclause (5), an ordinary plate to be fixed to the front of a motor vehicle may be in the form of an adhesive label.
"

So it turns out as of 1 October 2012 it is now completely legal to have a sticker as long as the white backing is reflective.

simple
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by simple » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Hojo wrote:Hey guys,
MAJOR EDIT

I was looking at the previous year's amendment and didn't notice that there was another on 1 October 2012.

This amendment deals with the exact same subsection and has a NEW clause that states:

"(5) The base material of an ordinary plate must be aluminium or any other material that may be determined by the Registrar.

(6) Despite subclause (5), an ordinary plate to be fixed to the front of a motor vehicle may be in the form of an adhesive label.
"

So it turns out as of 1 October 2012 it is now completely legal to have a sticker as long as the white backing is reflective.
In the interests of providing something akin to evidence of the law changes, I went poking around on the http://legislation.govt.nz website and found these links: My conclusion (before I got bored) is that adhesive plates can be legal. The question I did not find an answer to is whether or not the adhesive plates must be issued by NZTA - just because being adhesive is acceptable may not mean that you can print your own. Someone else may feel inclined to dig more into the legislation.

Karl.

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 am

Hojo wrote:So it turns out as of 1 October 2012 it is now completely legal to have a sticker as long as the white backing is reflective.
simple wrote:The question I did not find an answer to is whether or not the adhesive plates must be issued by NZTA - just because being adhesive is acceptable may not mean that you can print your own. Someone else may feel inclined to dig more into the legislation.
Sticker plates are not legal unless they were issued for the car.

Clauses 77(1)(b)(i) 77(2)(b)(i) of the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011, which deal with infringement offences, require the registration plate issued for the vehicle to be displayed.

So if you're issued with an adhesive label registration plate by NZTA that's fine, however you may not replace your aluminium front registration plate with an adhesive label.

I had previously thought adhesive label front plates were legal, however at the time I hadn't noticed the infringement offences clauses in the Regulation.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am

Clauses 77(1)(b)(i) 77(2)(b)(i) of the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011, which deal with infringement offences, require the registration plate issued for the vehicle to be displayed

Does this not mean that is an offence not to display plates regardless of material?

And how is one to tell whether the LTSA or a comercial enterprise issued a stick-on plate?
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am

WideOpenThrottle wrote:Does this not mean that is an offence not to display plates regardless of material?
Considering it specifically says "the registration plates issued for (the vehicle)" I would hazard that they mean the actual plates issued for the vehicle.
And how is one to tell whether the LTSA or a comercial enterprise issued a stick-on plate?
The fact that (as I understand it) NZTA don't currently issue stick-on plates? :lol:

From what I have read elsewhere, these regulations are in anticipation of forthcoming changes to front registration plates for motorcycles.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 pm

(6) Despite subclause (5), an ordinary plate to be fixed to the front of a motor vehicle may be in the form of an adhesive label."

Then if the LTSA doesn't issue stick-on plates then whats the use of this clause!!!???
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 pm

WideOpenThrottle wrote:Then if the LTSA doesn't issue stick-on plates then whats the use of this clause!!!???
Mr. Shine wrote:From what I have read elsewhere, these regulations are in anticipation of forthcoming changes to front registration plates for motorcycles.
Apparently within the next year or so motorcycles will be able to display an adhesive label-type registration plate on the front.

Regardless, the Regulation does clearly state that it is an infringement offence if motor vehicles do not display the registration plates issued for them.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
WideOpenThrottle wrote:Then if the LTSA doesn't issue stick-on plates then whats the use of this clause!!!???
Mr. Shine wrote:From what I have read elsewhere, these regulations are in anticipation of forthcoming changes to front registration plates for motorcycles.
Apparently within the next year or so motorcycles will be able to display an adhesive label-type registration plate on the front.

Regardless, the Regulation does clearly state that it is an infringement offence if motor vehicles do not display the registration plates issued for them.
Can't think of anyone with a bike who'd want to do that...ever!

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:48 pm

How would you put an adhesive plate on the front of a Harley Davidson with no fairing for example? Seems odd....
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Bwarp wrote:How would you put an adhesive plate on the front of a Harley Davidson with no fairing for example? Seems odd....
If the current legislation is anything to go by they will be an optional alternative to the current aluminium plates, and I think they're meant to be smaller than current sizes also.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 pm

then it comes back to definition pf a plate...
again the NZTA are interpreting the law and the law nowhere states the size or material of the plate apart from the previously mentioned section and the bit "despite the above"...
the issued part i reckon refers to the unique identifier number not the aluminium. either way the law is poor and the cop would have to word it perfectly for it to stick. theres plenty there to get off the fine.
RED '90 TURBO.

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dynofiend » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Even if you can use an adhesive plate, it still wont be mounted vertically, which is still not legal.

I think the conclusion should probably be drawn, that its not legal to use adhesive plates, and you risk being fined and having to argue your case (afterwards, dont try and argue at the roadside ffs). BUT there is a strong arguement that they are allowable, providing other aspects of the regulations are disregarded.

Its not unusual for things like this to come down to interpretation, all depends how much you want a stick on front plate I guess!

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

SLYDIT wrote:then it comes back to definition pf a plate...
again the NZTA are interpreting the law and the law nowhere states the size or material of the plate apart from the previously mentioned section and the bit "despite the above"...
The Regulation does define the base material and colouring of registration plates. I have not found any legislative definition for size or shape, however the Registrar has authority to issue plates
the issued part i reckon refers to the unique identifier number not the aluminium. either way the law is poor and the cop would have to word it perfectly for it to stick. theres plenty there to get off the fine.
The Regulation has a clear distinction between registration in terms of the unique identifier (which itself is defined in "Interpretation") and registration plates.

Further to the Regulation, section 257(3) of the Act (being the Land Transport Act 1998) states that plates issued under the section (which deals with issue of plates and certificates of registration) must be displayed on the vehicle.

There really is not any wiggle room. It clearly says the registration plates issued for the vehicle must be displayed, and that it is an infringement offence not to do so.

If you are issued by the appropriate authority with a registration plate in the form of an adhesive label you are safe. If you have your own made up and display it on the vehicle you are committing an infringement offence and are fair game to be ticketed.
dynofiend wrote:BUT there is a strong arguement that they are allowable, providing other aspects of the regulations are disregarded.
Trust me as someone who works with Justices of the Peace in infringement offence defended hearing courts. You would not succeed on any attempt at argument that has been put forward.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”