Blue Smoke woes....

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Bluesgeek
Tentative sideways sliding....

Blue Smoke woes....

Post by Bluesgeek » Thu May 18, 2006 11:09 pm

Ok this is my story, sad but true.... about a smoke that was blue... etc...

First thought was that it was white.... it didn't really smell oily etc. I had a headgasket go on a 1.6 MX5 I used to own, and the symptoms were similar.... so I changed the head gasket, then I noticed the bluey tinge - honestly it wasn't there prior to this!

I've checked the compression warm and cold, dry and wet, it's fine..

So I stripped the head off again, be warned - no matter how impatient and annoyed you are, lift it off carefully as you don't want to stuff up that $250+ gasket you fitted not so long ago.

First time to strip the head off was 7 hours, second time was 1 hour. I learnt some lessons -
1/ you don't have to loosen those exhaust downpipe header bolts - three of them and only one reachable by man.

Remove the manifold bolts and if the exhaust doesn't move, loosen the bolts before the CAT. then you can move the whole thing out of the way.

The inlet manifold does NOT need to be taken off, I re-read the Haynes manual the first time and trusted them explicitly. By not taking it off, I reckon you save 2 hours of contortionism and exreme stress.

Be VERY careful with the heater hose, I learnt from experience the first time... its soft copper, touch it and it will change shape.

Anyway.... I stripped the head and changed the valveguide seals.. back together and it lasted 3 days before the dreaded puff of smoke.

The heads off again, took me about an hour and a half this time, but I saved that $300 head gasket, and I did it with less stress and less grazed knuckles.

The false economy comes into me refurbishing the head the first time - ok granted I spent 4 hours porting and polishing, but I should have had the valve guides seen to rather than just changing the seals. the other 4 hours I spent on cleaning valves, reseating valves and fitting new valve guide seals (a job straight from hell)

Hoping the quote of $400 is valid for the job - knowing most machine shops/garages...

This has to be right, its the missus car but it will be mine in two months when she buys the new model :)

Anthug
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Anthug » Fri May 19, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi,

What type of head gasket was it for $300.00? :o Metal?

I have found the OE Mazda version to be good. They go for around $140.00.

there is a place in penrose that can make customised metal gaskets for around $150.00

Anthony.

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri May 19, 2006 2:10 pm

yep its a metal one on the 1994 1.8 this was John Andrews prices! I got another one from Repco for about $250 (list price) I managed to knock them down to $190 as they'd quoted me much less on the telephone....

The missus is out testdriving a brand new model now, I have a feeling she'll be buying it and I'll end up with her cast off ;)

Anthug

Post by Anthug » Fri May 19, 2006 2:41 pm

Just for reference, STA Parts out near the Airport in Mangere carry a few engine parts for the B6-ZE & the BP.

They list a 1.6 head gasket for $44.17 (incl GST). The quality isn't as good as OE but does the job. (Currently have one on my turbo'd 1.6 and holding so far).

Thier website is http://www.segedin.co.nz

Good score on the missus car! :lol: Time to start 'modifying' it :twisted:

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri May 19, 2006 3:34 pm

yeah I did the headgasket on my old 1.6 last year and I remember it was MUCH cheaper than the 1.8, bloody amazing eh.... a new engine can't cost much more :D

Well shes done the deed on an ex-demo new model in that cool metalic grey colour so the old one is mine, all mine mwuahahahahaha.... I did some porting on the head last time it was off but I think I can afford to do a bit more to it now ;) The turbo is in my sights :D Its cool having a wife who is every bit as 'Gotta have it' as me. We only talked about getting a new model last night, the idea was to get one in a couple of months - so she goes out and buys one today hahaha.... I'm just the same with guitars ;)

Anthug

Post by Anthug » Fri May 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Sounds like a plan.

These little cars seem to like time & money being spent on them :cry: (evrn though its fun :lol: )

What type of turbo are you thinking of?

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri May 19, 2006 6:23 pm

Anthug wrote:Sounds like a plan.

These little cars seem to like time & money being spent on them :cry: (evrn though its fun :lol: )

What type of turbo are you thinking of?
Not sure yet, it will depend on money constraints (don't they all...) and whether or not I need to add another guitar to my collection ;) I'd always planned one for my 1.6 but never quite got round to it - I was always a bit wary of putting added torque onto the short nosed crank, which turned out to be a good decision as I had to repair it about 3 months before it was sold. Any recommendations to look at?

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri May 19, 2006 6:29 pm

just had a look at your website :) lots of nice work done there!

What sort of price did it cost for your modded turbo? (if you don't mind me asking...)

Anthug

Post by Anthug » Fri May 19, 2006 7:30 pm

The turbo rebuild should cost around $500.00. The most expensive part is getting the downpipe/exhaust custom made, but if you know someone with the skills all the better :P

The general consesus with a 1.8 is a Garrett T28 but if you want to get crazy a T3.

As you say, a lot of work, but well worth it 8)

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Sat May 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Anthug wrote:The turbo rebuild should cost around $500.00. The most expensive part is getting the downpipe/exhaust custom made, but if you know someone with the skills all the better :P

The general consesus with a 1.8 is a Garrett T28 but if you want to get crazy a T3.

As you say, a lot of work, but well worth it 8)
Having just driven the missus new one, I think I've really got to sort out suspension and wheels/tyres first! I couldn't make that car put a foot wrong! So priorities currently are - shocks/springs, wheels/tyres, brakes, turbo :)

The rebuild was $500 but where did you get the turbo and how much (again tell me I'm being nosy etc.. :) ) I've got the skills for making the downpipe but not the equipment nowadays....

I've heard some excellent things about the Garrett but it will cost about $5k ish for everything?

Return to “MX5 Discussion”