number plate

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

warrensmith
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

number plate

Post by warrensmith » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:30 pm

i got stopped on the western motorway by albany for having stick on number plate, cop made me peel it off on the side of the motorway with a $150 fine if i could not get it off Just brought 2 new remade plates costing $20 fast delivery (3days) nz transport agency website click on LICENSYS NZ LTD great way to refresh the cars appearance for small cost :shock:

Furai
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Furai » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:16 pm

You see if I was the cop I would have said "Please get it replaced and report back in a week" that or he could just get the LTNZ to inform him of the replacements being sent out. But you know then that would be helpful, polite and give them a good rep. I dont have anything against cops but ones like this on a powertrip frustrate me.

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Furai wrote:You see if I was the cop I would have said "Please get it replaced and report back in a week" that or he could just get the LTNZ to inform him of the replacements being sent out. But you know then that would be helpful, polite and give them a good rep. I dont have anything against cops but ones like this on a powertrip frustrate me.
IMO, what would be helpful and polite would be not wasting police time by displaying sticker plates and thus being pulled up on it. Police have more than enough to do as it is without having to be nice and check up on people a week after they've narrowly avoided a ticket...
warrensmith wrote:great way to refresh the cars appearance for small cost :shock:
Definitely is! Sticker plates look awful!

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Argue it. Sticker plates USED to be illegal but no longer are provided they are a similar size to the original plate. At least get off the fine.
Cool sunroof bro...

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:37 pm

punkoutnz wrote:Argue it. Sticker plates USED to be illegal but no longer are provided they are a similar size to the original plate. At least get off the fine.
Seems to be correct, funnily enough. I'll take back what I said about not breaking the law, then!

Here's the relevant excerpt from the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011:
33 Form of ordinary plates

(1) The unique identifier for an ordinary plate must be a combination of letters or numbers, or of both, and the combination must not exceed,—

(a) in the case of plates for motorcycles, mopeds, and trailers, 5 letters, numbers, or letters and numbers, in total:

(b) in any other case, 6 letters, numbers, or letters and numbers, in total.

(2) A combination must not be used for an ordinary plate if the combination appears or is to appear on—

(a) a personalised plate; or

(b) a trade plate.

(3) If the registration of a motor vehicle has been cancelled and an application is subsequently made under section 243 of the Act to register the motor vehicle and the relevant unique identifier has not yet been reallocated under this Part, then—

(a) the ordinary plates issued for the motor vehicle when it was previously registered may be reissued to that motor vehicle:

(b) the unique identifier assigned to the motor vehicle when it was previously registered may be reassigned to that motor vehicle.

(4) The unique identifier on an ordinary plate must be—

(a) embossed, and coloured aluminium on a black background; or

(b) embossed, and coloured black against a reflective background consisting of white retro-reflective sheeting; or

(c) in any other form and colour that may be determined by the Registrar.

(5) The base material of an ordinary plate must be aluminium or any other material that may be determined by the Registrar.

(6) Despite subclause (5), an ordinary plate to be fixed to the front of a motor vehicle may be in the form of an adhesive label.
Note that despite what subclause 6 says, sticker plates still need to comply with subclause 4's requirements!

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah I've got a mate who's a cop, he told me about it. It's only been legal for a short period of time so the cop probably wasn't up with the play on the new regs. Definitely put the right plates on the front cos stick ons look rude, but at least get off the $150 fine!
Cool sunroof bro...

MX5PWR
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

number plate

Post by MX5PWR » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I think you will find that the Registrar has NOT Approved stick on plates which are still illegal and you can be fined $250. This is to stop more than one vehicle having the same number plate.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 16, 2012, at 5:37 PM, "Mr. Shine" <mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz> wrote:
punkoutnz wrote:
Argue it. Sticker plates USED to be illegal but no longer are provided they are a similar size to the original plate. At least get off the fine.
Seems to be correct, funnily enough. I'll take back what I said about not breaking the law, then!

Here's the relevant excerpt from the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011:

33 Form of ordinary plates

(1) The unique identifier for an ordinary plate must be a combination of letters or numbers, or of both, and the combination must not exceed,—

(a) in the case of plates for motorcycles, mopeds, and trailers, 5 letters, numbers, or letters and numbers, in total:

(b) in any other case, 6 letters, numbers, or letters and numbers, in total.

(2) A combination must not be used for an ordinary plate if the combination appears or is to appear on—

(a) a personalised plate; or

(b) a trade plate.

(3) If the registration of a motor vehicle has been cancelled and an application is subsequently made under section 243 of the Act to register the motor vehicle and the relevant unique identifier has not yet been reallocated under this Part, then—

(a) the ordinary plates issued for the motor vehicle when it was previously registered may be reissued to that motor vehicle:

(b) the unique identifier assigned to the motor vehicle when it was previously registered may be reassigned to that motor vehicle.

(4) The unique identifier on an ordinary plate must be—

(a) embossed, and coloured aluminium on a black background; or

(b) embossed, and coloured black against a reflective background consisting of white retro-reflective sheeting; or

(c) in any other form and colour that may be determined by the Registrar.

(5) The base material of an ordinary plate must be aluminium or any other material that may be determined by the Registrar.

(6) Despite subclause (5), an ordinary plate to be fixed to the front of a motor vehicle may be in the form of an adhesive label.
Note that despite what subclause 6 says, sticker plates still need to comply with subclause 4's requirements!

[Posted via external email]

Furai

Post by Furai » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
Furai wrote:You see if I was the cop I would have said "Please get it replaced and report back in a week" that or he could just get the LTNZ to inform him of the replacements being sent out. But you know then that would be helpful, polite and give them a good rep. I dont have anything against cops but ones like this on a powertrip frustrate me.
IMO, what would be helpful and polite would be not wasting police time by displaying sticker plates and thus being pulled up on it. Police have more than enough to do as it is without having to be nice and check up on people a week after they've narrowly avoided a ticket...
warrensmith wrote:great way to refresh the cars appearance for small cost :shock:
Definitely is! Sticker plates look awful!
Even so a little anger gets passed on from one person to the next in conversation and threatening isnt really needed, Its the little things that make all the difference in a groups general reputation and we all know that having a better rep would certainly help with getting more respect making it easier to control communities. Im not saying all cops are like this very few are but its just something I think could help them.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:07 pm

If the plate is legible, reflective, appropriately sized and so on it ought to be considered fine.

It's spastic all this middle management wasting our time and money enforcing laws in a manner which has no possible positive effect.

Any plate w/ a surround which covers any portion of the front of the plate is effectively illegal I imagine, so therefore most of the vehicles on the roads can be given tickets... just imagine if they started ticketing every such vehicle...
Harlan

WTB: NZ New MX5

Black Darth Vader Turbo Miata

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 pm

So I guess my having just ordered one of these is likely to get me in trouble?

http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/miata ... er/904-886

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:34 pm

ok so define legal..
i have a sticker which is smaller....
the clause says it must be embossed to be legal but then says stick on is ok...i dont get it.
also where does it say anything about size of the plate?? is that in a different section?

so if i changed my sticker to an EMBOSSED sticker it would be legal??

the only thing i can see that contras this is under part 9 of that regulation #85

85 Registration plates or licence not displayed as required
(1) A person commits an offence if the person operates a motor
vehicle by driving or using it on a road if the motor vehicle—
(a) displays any registration plate or licence that is not au-
thorised to be affixed to the motor vehicle under Part 17
of the Act; or
(b) displays an object or a design that is reasonably likely
to be mistaken for a plate or licence authorised to be
affixed to the motor vehicle under Part 17 of the Act.
A person commits a stationary vehicle offence if the person
operates a motor vehicle by causing or permitting it to be on a
road if the motor vehicle—
(a) displays any registration plate or licence that is not au-
thorised to be affixed to the motor vehicle under Part 17
of the Act; or
(2)
displays an object or a design that is reasonably likely
to be mistaken for a plate or licence authorised to be
affixed to the motor vehicle under Part 17 of the Act.
In proceedings for an offence against subclause (1) or (2) that
relates to the display of a registration plate that is not author-
ised to be affixed to the motor vehicle, it is a defence if the
defendant proves that personalised plates—
(a) have been issued to the motor vehicle; and
(b) have been dispatched to the person acquiring the plates
in the 7 days preceding the offence but have not yet been
received by that person.
Compare: 1986 No 6 s 17(a)
Display of object or design intended to deceive
A person commits a stationary vehicle offence if the person—
(a) operates a motor vehicle on which an object or design
is displayed; and
(b) intends that the object or design will cause people to
believe (mistakenly) that the appropriate registration
plates are displayed, or the appropriate licence is dis-
played, on the motor vehicle in accordance with these
regulations.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:56 pm

also it keeps referring to "part 17" of the act..
thats part 17 of the transport act 1998

neither part 17 of the transport act 1998 or the 2011 regulations specify font/size etc OR say that there is an EXCLUSIVE supplier of plates.

i think there is certainly enough grounds for a "get stuffed Mr Plod" if an infringement was issued and also the EXACT offence would have to be on the ticket so it could be defended.
many of the acts that may define plate type and size were repealled by the 1998 and 2011 legislation...
Last edited by SLYDIT on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED '90 TURBO.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:13 pm

also this fact sheet says that only LTSA issued plates are legal :
here:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/facts ... lates.html

BUT the 2011 legislation does not say that at all. NOWHERE does it say anything about who is authorised to SOLELY issue plates...

interesting
RED '90 TURBO.

ross
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ross » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Get out the tinsnips and cut down the plate like I do.
Looks good being a bit smaller and your still displaying the number plate issued to the vehicle which is what the law seems to want.
Attachments
P6071126.JPG

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:06 am

part 17 of the 1998 act states the definition of a "registration plate"

“(a) means a plate issued under—
“(i) this Part; or
“(ii) the Transport Act 1962; or
“(iii) the Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986;
(b) includes ordinary plates, supplementary plates, personalised plates, and trade plates

well the 1962 act is repealled so no longer is law, so that leaves the new 2011 regulations,
the 2011 regs define the form of a plate in reg 34 and nothing else...
so if your plate complies to reg 34 then it is a "registration plate" and a cop CANNOT give you a ticket for a facsimile plate because of the definition of "registration plate"

also in the 1998 act it states that the registrar must issue an "ordinary" plate. but not a personalised plate. so if you have a PP then you have even more defense.
Last edited by SLYDIT on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED '90 TURBO.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 am

I know for a fact you're allowed stickon plates now. It was a cop that told me, he even highlighted the specific change in legislation. I'm far too drunk to find the link he gave me right now so I'll do it tomorrow. Write in, you'll get off ticket.

Winning!
Cool sunroof bro...

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 am

I heard someone else recently too got off by writing in.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 am

I got off twice, late last year and early this year...

1st time got ticket from Parking Warden, 2nd time a Police Officer saw the car driving and sent a ticket out.

The 2nd ticket was time consuming to get off, it involved quite a few calls, emails, letters and 2 visits to the Police Station.

Until they stop wasting time needlessly we've got the LTSA plates on our cars.

FWIW: our stick on plate was reflective, on metal backing, same size and font etc as the LTSA Plates and if you look it was also somewhat embossed - basically it was very highly legible possibly more so that an LTSA Plate.
WideOpenThrottle wrote:I heard someone else recently too got off by writing in.
Harlan

WTB: NZ New MX5

Black Darth Vader Turbo Miata

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:15 am

Meanwhile car thieves, rapists, murderers, drunk drivers and old ladies on bald 155 tyres are driving around posing a REAL risk to people's lives...
Cool sunroof bro...

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 am

this sort of thing REALLY REALLY F**** me off.

about 4 years ago my 7 month pregnant wife was assaulted by someone on a P fuelled rampage who also trashed some property and kicked her in the stomach....

they got fined $100 IN COURT :roll:

so then about a month later wifey was given a $250 ticket for the stick on plate.....

so what our "justice" system is saying is that it is better to get high on P, trash some property, assault a 7 month pregnant woman and do a runner from the cops. BUT if you hae a stick on front plate you are the scurge of the nation..... WTF!
RED '90 TURBO.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Now that most people drive at the speed limit they need to raise the revenue by issuing tickets for things like this & how stupid it has become!
I heard you can now get a ticket for tying things down on your trailer if you use rope & not ratchet tie-downs!!!!.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Mr. Shine

Re: number plate

Post by Mr. Shine » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:04 pm

MX5PWR wrote:I think you will find that the Registrar has NOT Approved stick on plates which are still illegal and you can be fined $250. This is to stop more than one vehicle having the same number plate.
Except you totally missed subclause 6, which explicitly states that despite subclause 5, front plates may be in the form of an adhesive label.

SLYDIT

Re: number plate

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
MX5PWR wrote:I think you will find that the Registrar has NOT Approved stick on plates which are still illegal and you can be fined $250. This is to stop more than one vehicle having the same number plate.
Except you totally missed subclause 6, which explicitly states that despite subclause 5, front plates may be in the form of an adhesive label.
yes but does that adhesive plate have to come from the registrar(LTSA?)
the act says that the registrar must supply the plate for an ordinary plate but only has to supply the rego sticker and rights to the unique identifier( number) to a PP. it says nothing about supplying the Plate for a PP..
RED '90 TURBO.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”