Chocolate Drifter

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 am

So now that you're pro with a welder, I can come over and learn to weld on my car to do the seam welds mod? :wink:

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dynofiend » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

You fab work looks amazing mate, really nice!

Im confused how the cooling set up works though? Are you able to explain what you have planned in more detail? Will the air be channeled, will there be extra inlets or outlets anywhere?

last_resort14
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Kieran wrote:
Bwarp wrote:What sorta seats have you bought? Looking for a set for mine, but unsure what will fit. Keen to get Racetechs tho
If i recall correctly when i saw his car he had a racetech seat already in there
Are you going to be selling that luke?
Ive got 2 of the smallest NZKW seats now, the measurements on the site were quite a lot smaller than the racetech, in real life they arent really that much smaller, still a tight fit in these little cars.
I had a Racetech 1000, really nice seat, have already sold that to a friend so he has a matching pair in his NB
dynofiend wrote:You fab work looks amazing mate, really nice!

Im confused how the cooling set up works though? Are you able to explain what you have planned in more detail? Will the air be channeled, will there be extra inlets or outlets anywhere?
The air will be ducted into the front with sheet alloy, I will be doing that once I have finalized all of the radiator lines etc. I will also have a large hole in my bonnet for an extractor duct off the rear of the intercooler.

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:00 am

Did the racetech 1000 fit without any trouble too?

I ideally just wanna run racetech 100's (the street model) cos they're easier for bassengers to get in and out of, but im worried they might be too wide for the car. If I know for sure that 1000's fit, I may as well just get a pair of those.
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

dynofiend

Post by dynofiend » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply, sounds good! Might want to consider (if youve not already) widening the frog mouth, as this, rather than fan placement, will affect the cooling a lot more. The fans are only really doing anything (other than blocking airflow) at speeds of under 50kph.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 pm

dynofiend wrote:Thanks for the reply, sounds good! Might want to consider (if youve not already) widening the frog mouth, as this, rather than fan placement, will affect the cooling a lot more. The fans are only really doing anything (other than blocking airflow) at speeds of under 50kph.
I have considered it, also the idea of running an aftermarket bumper, just not wanting to ruin the styling of the car.
I realise that the fans will do nothing for me over 50kms, but if I use the car on the hamptons skid pan, or meremere drift days, you quite often spend 2 mins flat out, then you're parked in a queue for the next 5 mins, so I see 2 fans as a requirement.
With some ducting in place, once the air comes in the front, its gonna have to go through the coolers, I guess only time will tell how well the setup works.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Have been busy so havent had much posting going on lately.

Car goes into Sinco for a couple of little bits tomorrow, so have been getting it in a semi tidy/semi waterproof state for transporting.

Got some better quality photos this time, no phone pics, haha.

Employed my 18 month old to clean it for me :lol:

As you can see i have thrown some black paint quickly on the hardtop, and installed my rear windscreen.

Really stoked with how the rear window has come out, edge looks real tidy.

And a couple more pics just because the car was out of the shed for once.

halberd

Post by halberd » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Hnnggg that looks awesome

How did you paint the interior? Did you sand it all down etc or did you just spray paint over it? What sorta paint?
'91 Eunos Roadster

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 pm

halberd wrote:Hnnggg that looks awesome

How did you paint the interior? Did you sand it all down etc or did you just spray paint over it? What sorta paint?
Just gave it a good clean out, sanded lightly with some fine sandpaper to take the gloss off so that the new paint would stick. then wiped it down with wax and grease remover. I just used a quick dry enamel paint.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Quick photo of a few bits, getting closer to completion.

This shows the bend I had welded to the intercooler so I could get a silicon joiner to connect the intercooler to throttle body.

I also had some mods done to the inlet of the radiator so I could finish my coolant lines. you can see the return line form the motor coming around the side of my intake manifold, this is also the highest point of my coolant system so has my filler neck on there. Also this side has my temp senders on it.

Will take a photo of the engines water inlet side when I get a chance.

Engine bay fabrication is pretty much done now, just needs to be re-assembled and then I will finally be able to start it up again.

brooke5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by brooke5 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Love this car, this is one of the first that gave me the one of getting myself one of these cars. Respect
'89 JDM NA6 - Stock-ish for now
'96 Celica - Because DD

Furai

Post by Furai » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Sweet car, want to see it Drift in real life!

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Cheers guys!

Getting the car re-assembled now, pretty much everything engine wise is ready to go.

Realized its about time I do some work around the ducting for the inter cooler.
Been putting this off for a while as I wasn't terribly keen to start cutting up my bonnet.

But anyways, jumped straight in and did a few measurements then made some cuts

Used a 1mm thick cut off disc on the angle grinder. The alloy bonnet cuts like butter.
Once I had made the cuts I pushed the back section down and cut it so it fit nicely with the back edge of the inter cooler. Also had to notch this piece on the drivers side as it would clash with the intercooler pipe.

I then got an old real estate sign to cut up and make templates for my ducting. I decided to stick a couple of blades in the duct, so it wouldn't just look like a big gaping hole.

And one last one without the masking tape on there

Actually really stoked with how this has come out, was worried it was going to look hideous and ruin the look of the car but I think itll look ok once complete.

Just need to transfer these templates onto some 1mm alloy sheet, then pop rivet it all together and give it a paint up.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 pm

that bonnet vent looks great. reminds me of a lancia stratos or ford GT
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:06 am

Things still happening,

I dropped my phone which had all my pics and stuff on it and have only just got them off, so I have something i can update.

I started making up all of my ducting using 1mm alloy sheet,
Heres the bonnet venting, I have made up the blades to go across also, but they need some adjusting as they dont fit very well.

Also made up some inlet ducting,
This is fully sealed, so all air must go through the cores. It looks like I have made the front opening really small, but it mates up to the back of the bumper opening, so will hopefully be effective.

So once all this was sorted the car was basically all together. I put new oil and filter in, and filled up the coolant system. checked over everything once more, and fired her up. well tried to anyway.
Ended up having issues getting it to run for more than about 5 seconds. after scratching my head and checking everything under the engine bay twice, I found that I hadnt plugged in the connector which takes power back to the fuel pump :oops:

Anyway, once that was sorted, started it up, got up to running temp, checked fans etc working and made sure I had no leaks. all was good :lol:

Now the only thing left to do was go for a drive :lol:
went for a quick drive up and down the road, checking brakes and everything else, all was good! gave it a little thrash through 1st,2nd,3rd, back end was all over the place due to the worn tyres I had on, but definately put a smile on my face. I have a quick start up and drive vid I will upload when I get a chance.

edit - video: http://youtu.be/wCP4AGtvuEQ (couldnt figure out embed)

Have a few more things to sort out over the next few weeks, and then she will be all go for the day I have booked in on the 6th October.
Last edited by last_resort14 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:43 am

Nice! Gotta love it when things all come together. There's always one plug that throws you out though aye, haha.
Cool sunroof bro...

Furai

Post by Furai » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 am

Looks like she is getting there! When are you going to test her out?

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 am

God those rear wheels look rad! Makes me want to order a set ~_~.
Wicked car dude!

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Furai wrote:Looks like she is getting there! When are you going to test her out?
6th october at Taupo track I have already booked and paid for.
Was hoping to give it a little shakedown, maybe a half day on the hamptons skid pan or something like that before then. but I have had a look and cant see any days on there coming up between now and then?
I will give it a bit more of a test up the road from home, but obviously cant give it a real test on the road.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 am

Tidied up a few odds and ends today. then went for a drive to find out what my boost level is currently set to.
From a few 3rd gear stints up and down the road im hitting just on 9psi, I may have to set this up again as Im thinking of taking my rear muffler out and either running with nothing or getting a really free flowing rear muffler as I dont have to worry noise levels for Wofs now.
I have a full 2.5 inch system with only 1 muffler, and its really quiet. just not too sure if running with no muffler will be too loud? :?

I also have been thinking about putting a rear wing on, so made this up today.

Not too sure if im 100% sold on this, looks a little weird from some angles. maybe will look better out of the garage.

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 am

Looks strange... Cant tell if I like it or not. You should keep going with it ;)

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am

Straight 3" full exhaust from turbo!! Maybe a resonator just maybe tho...

2.5" is to restrictive on the turbo at high rpms ill find the dyno sheets on miataturbo and post them they show 2.5" vs 3" on a 1.6 if i remeber correctly

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 pm

I dont know anything about Turbo motors but sticking with 2.5 or 2.75 would give you better torque down low wouldnt it?

Screaming at high RPMs is all good but I would want some usable Torque down low.

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Its actually the exact opposite on a turbo motor the less backpressure the better 2.5 or 2.75 will restrict the torque more than the top end hp

basically if the pressure is less after the turbo and higher before the turbo the pressure difference across the turbo creates a vacuum which pulls the air through the turbine faster resulting in faster spool and higher flow

Backpressure on a N/A = Good it creates a scavaging effect

Backpressure on turbo = Bad limits turbine speed

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Kieran wrote:Its actually the exact opposite on a turbo motor the less backpressure the better 2.5 or 2.75 will restrict the torque more than the top end hp

basically if the pressure is less after the turbo and higher before the turbo the pressure difference across the turbo creates a vacuum which pulls the air through the turbine faster resulting in faster spool and higher flow

Backpressure on a N/A = Good it creates a scavaging effect

Backpressure on turbo = Bad limits turbine speed
^This right here^

Return to “MX5 Discussion”