Mystery 5

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Zadkiel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Mystery 5

Post by Zadkiel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello all, I'm new here so forgive me if I've put this in the wrong place.

I'm on the hunt right now for either an NA8C or NB, I'm torn between the practicality of the NB and the original looks of the NA, but time will tell there.

Now this 1.8 NA has caught my eye but it's a bit of a conundrum

(Apparently I can't post you a link yet but search for MX5 special on Trademe and it's the only NA in the results)

You see it appears to be a US spec M-Edition. It's an M-Edition colour scheme and even has M-Edition badges on the side, yet it is right hand drive. Now it would be madness to convert an American version of a Japanese car to right hand drive and the current owner isn't aware of the back story, so can any of you tell me whats going on here?

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 pm

It is an NZ New M Edition, not much else to say really it is what it is

Zadkiel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Zadkiel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:22 am

That takes some mystery out then, so M-Editions where sold NZ new also? The internet claims them to be USA market only. Damn internet! :)

old scrubber
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by old scrubber » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:46 pm

i have a 02 r,s,spec in red with factory hardtop, done 108ks. is a very nice straight original car, i am the second owner in nz, has all of the rs goodies, not being used and i am paying for storage, :email me if you are interested. cheers

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Looks like it needs a new radiator, and to have a factory airbox placed back in. Gorgeous colour though, but I can't stand tan leather interior.

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:Looks like it needs a new radiator, and to have a factory airbox placed back in. Gorgeous colour though, but I can't stand tan leather interior.
^All of this, that is a mighty nice colour

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 am

Ha, that's my old car :) (Edit- In fact its still showing in my sidebar....will change now to my current NB8 RS :)
In my time of owning it I put in the roll bar, the front lip, the airfilter and heat shielding. As mentioned in the advert, I also gave the buyer the standard airbox if you want to convert back...you might need to remove the heat shield from the exhaust to fit it back on. The filter did give a bit more punch in the mid range and a more induction sound.

It is a nicely maintained car- The seats were recovered just before I bought it although they look a bit more worn now. The clear coat on the back number plate panel was also starting to go (which has continued to do so judging by the pics). Other than that it's straight- I did do two track days in it but I'm a sympathetic driver :)

(Edit- My memory was wrong!)
That asking price is slightly higher than they paid for it a year and a bit ago.
Last edited by Timmo on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Zadkiel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Zadkiel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:15 am

Now that is helpful! :) What's the sign that it needs a new radiator?

Note: I love cars supported by a forum of enthusiasts, don't think I'll ever buy one that's not.

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 am

Timmo wrote:The filter did give a bit more punch in the mid range and a more induction sound.
Not wanting to call you out by any means, but I think this is always a dangerous statement to make. Was this ever dyno tested, or is it your butt dyno talking?

Very tidy car nonetheless, and good of you to give the OP a heads-up on price ;)

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:32 am

Oh just remembered that I also bumped the timing too...it should still be alright on 91 RON but I was using 95 RON :)

Plastic top tanks on radiators have a set life and can crack/perish- I think from memory it had actually been done by the previous owner? I gave the new owner all the previous service history and history of work I did to it so you may be able to see if it was.
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Return to “MX5 Discussion”