Rusty coolant

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

RMS
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Rusty coolant

Post by RMS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 am

I'd like to make a bit of a plug for a product that I used last year.

When I bought my car the cooling system was not in good condition.

I found three holes in hoses, two of the little metal pipes leaking, the 'infernal plug' leaking and a shot water pump. In addition to this there was no coolant in the system, just mucky brown water.

I tried a couple of those radiator flushes from repco but this had no effect on the rust at all - I think they are targeted more at grease and mineral buildup.

After doing a lot of googling I found evaporust on trademe and bought a 5l thing of that. I left it in the system for about two weeks making sure I took it for a drive to warm it up each day because it's meant to work better when warm.

Anyway, after draining that and flushing with copious amounts of clean water, the inside of my cooling system has been clean and the coolant is still clear and green as of last weekend (flushed it in June last year).

So if anyone has an issue with rust in their cooling system you might want to give it a shot.

Note that I had fixed all of the other cooling problems by this stage and I installed a new aluminium radiator right after the flush so that may have had an effect as well in terms of physically removing rust that was in the radiator.
The telling thing for me though is that the overflow bottle had had a layer of brown stuck to the inside of it so that I couldn't see the coolant level through the plastic. I'd tried scrubbing this off with a brush and detergent which didn't work and I couldn't get into every nook and cranny. I tried the pebbles + shaking method along with one of the other radiator flushes I'd had and that didn't work. The evaporust dissolved it right off though.

I hope I don't sound like an infomercial or something, just very happy not to have brown crap in the system any more.

has anyone else had experience killing rust in their cooling system?

Also, one reason I was keen to try it is that it's safe on Aluminium. Reading about killing rust on the internet pointed to acid based products which apparently aren't good for aluminium, probably not a major for anything other than the radiator but still..

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm

I seem to have a similar issue with my car, so perhaps I'll give it a shot!

m4vr1k

Post by m4vr1k » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Pro tip: Make sure you use a coolant with a corrosion inhibitor! Actual glycol content doesn't really matter, unless you live in an area where the temperature regularly drops below 0.

Also, a good idea when flushing your cooling system is to remove the thermostat. That way you completely remove all the old coolant.
Roses are red
Violets are red
Trees are red
Oh fuck, my garden's on fire

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Also if your cooling system is a bit gunked up etc, keep an eye out for drips under the car after changing the coolant - my previous MX5 had seriously yucky coolant and then the water pump let go as soon as I had it flushed.

dethy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by dethy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

My coolant system is exactly like this - full of brown gunk, even after vigorously flushing everything after the turbo build. I also can't see the coolant level in my overflow bottle because of the buildup inside (which I've tried all the same methods for cleaning) I'll give this stuff a go!
cheers
Martin

RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:55 am

Remember to update us on how it goes.

I think the trick is to leave it in there for a decent amount of time. It's not something where you can just run the engine for ten minutes then drain again.

RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 am

Also I should point out that they do a bunch of different rust killing products but you want the specific coolant system one.

This is the stuff

http://www.evapo-rust.co.nz/Cooling%20S ... 0Flush.htm

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 am

When I used to service steam boilers I used an awesome product called hydrochem 204 the stuff was the best. Had to careful with alloy stuff but as long as your sensible with it . It made boiler tanks look like new
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Discussion”