Hi, Gear Noise ?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Mark
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: This is just stinky!

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Habanero666 wrote: Please don't pollute our clean NZ air :evil: :evil: There are others on the road with convertables!
I've noticed that you can tell how fresh the cooking oil is in fish and chip shops when driving past with the hood down.
Can also tell that drivers of big 4WD who pull up behind you at the lights don't check fan belt tension often enough, have stuffed water pump/alternator bearings/engine bearing problems, slight misfire at idle, creaky brake pedal linkage, and the bumble-bee glued by its own juices to the radiator fins still has a bit of life left in it.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:24 pm

:lol: :lol:

Hahahaha! Yes I am a bit fussy. You have very good hearing too, by the way.
Certainly hate smokey diesels!!
Even worse when you get chips from the take aways and they taste like fish!!

I think I better stick to miataturbo.net forum :oops:
Tires aren't cheap!

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Habanero666 wrote:
WideOpenThrottle wrote: when they get old & stretched can flap quite a bit!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahahaa...that made me laugh out loud...and now I have the rest of the office looking at me...

Mark
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Habanero666 wrote: Certainly hate smokey diesels!!
I love my stinky smokey diesel (safari 4.2).
It's the perfect foil to the MX - it saves me the bother of even thinking about a need to do something make the MX go faster, or doing something to make the Safari go around corners better. If I owned a small snappy tin-top shopping basket that was boring (as they are) but faster than the MX, then I'd have a problem...

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dynofiend » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Only someone who is cycling or walking can legitimately complain about a car driver polluting the air infront of them. Anything else is so hypocritical it almost hurts :D Still got a catalytic converter habenero? :D

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:45 pm

dynofiend wrote:Only someone who is cycling or walking can legitimately complain about a car driver polluting the air infront of them. Anything else is so hypocritical it almost hurts :D Still got a catalytic converter habenero? :D
Hahahaha! I used to cycle untill I bit the dust and broke too many bones and gained to many metal plates and screws last year, will be back running soon though...

That used to get me ramping when I was doing sprints or the like and a "filthy soot spewing behemoth" takes off in front at the lights or crawling uphill with reckless abandon.

In general, as an automotive engineer I have noticed a huge disregard for other people when it comes to using their crapped out import diesels instead of fixing them. The ltsa should be doing a load type test, not a bollocksy free rev test for "emissions" testing!

Yes you are correct, the cat' under my car got the boot, never had soot or smoke blasting out, just flames :twisted:
I have got certification of "clean and green" for the modifyed turbo exhaust system, so am pretty wrapped with that.

If people think modern diesels with a particulate filter are any better you are getting suckered, as all that system does is trap the soot particals and and then burn them off under certain operating conditions later on.
Tires aren't cheap!

Mark
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:43 pm

dynofiend wrote:Only someone who is cycling or walking can legitimately complain about a car driver polluting the air infront of them.
Complain about a bit of smoke when you just got a free road?
The self righteousness of the cyclists around here gives me the screamers.
If they were out there commuting on the road, riding to work etc, then that's one thing. But these useless SOBs have commandeered roads designed and built using our petrol tax and diesel RUC money for free purely recreational activities, and do it all flounced up in logoed fluoro lycra, pretending they've got a pharmaceutical cocktail in their veins and they're really in the tour de france. Don't kid yourself that if they needed to do something useful, like going to the supermarket to get 2l of milk (low fat goat milk) and mung beans (organic) that they wouldn't use the subaru (with bike rack) just as often as you do.
Out of my hard earned rates and taxes, they build a two lane cycle way, and the b@st@rds still ride 5 abreast on purpose to slow you down. If someone blocked a road and whacked in a tennis court net on the centre line, and only allowed cars to pass between volleys, it's exactly the same thing really.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Mark wrote:
dynofiend wrote:Only someone who is cycling or walking can legitimately complain about a car driver polluting the air infront of them.
Complain about a bit of smoke when you just got a free road?
The self righteousness of the cyclists around here gives me the screamers.
If they were out there commuting on the road, riding to work etc, then that's one thing. But these useless SOBs have commandeered roads designed and built using our petrol tax and diesel RUC money for free purely recreational activities, and do it all flounced up in logoed fluoro lycra, pretending they've got a pharmaceutical cocktail in their veins and they're really in the tour de france. Don't kid yourself that if they needed to do something useful, like going to the supermarket to get 2l of milk (low fat goat milk) and mung beans (organic) that they wouldn't use the subaru (with bike rack) just as often as you do.
Out of my hard earned rates and taxes, they build a two lane cycle way, and the b@st@rds still ride 5 abreast on purpose to slow you down. If someone blocked a road and whacked in a tennis court net on the centre line, and only allowed cars to pass between volleys, it's exactly the same thing really.
Extremely valid points and direction!

Fortunately for me I was a mountain biker that commuted and occasionally used the hills on public roads here in the Manawatu at limited periods, to get to the glorious nature. Still had to suck someone elses precious unburnt fuel on some trips.

With a writing style like you have, I definitely recommend that you apply for a postion at TOP GEAR as a contributing jorno! I just about died laughing about the lycra and low fat goats milk stab!!! Awesome. Watch out Auckland cyclists.

I look forward to reading more in the future (and I am not being sarcastic either)

Cheers :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tires aren't cheap!

dynofiend

Post by dynofiend » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Mark wrote:
Out of my hard earned rates and taxes.
Most cyclists have a job, pay taxes and own a car too you know :D

Anyway, my point wasnt that cars are bad and cyclists good, it was more that if youre smoking a cigarette, then you cant really complain about the cigar smoker sat next to you :D

andyling
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by andyling » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:50 pm

LOL, My post turned into a Bikes and Cars discussion.

I agree, I know some of the really wealth people actually bike a lot.

NZ ain't 1980s China. On average, People who bike actually make more money than the people who don't...

BTW, My mate aslo checked out the Noise for me , There is a viberation sound from the engine bay when I lift from throttle(Not even in gear). My mate told me It's nothing I need to worry about, it's something bit loose somewhere, Not inside the Engine or the GearBox.

Sum Up my Problems.

My Engine does smoke a bit in the morning because of the Valve Stem Seal leak. So Check the oil regularly.

The Noise is nothing.

Really like the car, it not fast, but man it handles. So cool to have the roof down as well.

Thanks Again Guys.

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Hi, Gear Noise ?

Post by poison » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 pm

A little blue smoke on cold start-up is pretty normal for a high K's engine,
it does not signify the end.

Yay to mountain bikers, but I'm not happy with all the people who want to
spend my rates on a bike lane over the harbour bridge so that a small few
can ride over the bridge once until they realise the harbour bridge is one
seriously enormous hill to get up and over. For the same money they could
make some great MTB tracks around the place, but of course they wouldn't.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: This is just stinky!

Post by Timmo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 am

Habanero666 wrote:One thing I do know with these neglected engines, they stink to follow behind when you have the soft top down or the air vents on non recirculate , and also smoke like five bast*rds under average deceleration.

Please don't pollute our clean NZ air :evil: :evil: There are others on the road with convertables!
haha it just mixes in with the cow dung/grass/trees/sileage/ocean/dead oppossum smells that you get when driving an MX5. Its all part of the experience :)

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 pm

SOME BARE FANDEN!!!
Tires aren't cheap!

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Flapping

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:53 pm

OF course if the flapping gets out of hand then your teeth wont be able to keep hold of your gear and then things might start to fall off!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Som dett (Like this),

**WARNING, the following image may cause viewers to adopt driving behaviour that is senior citizen-like or "twinkle toes and pointy pinky finger mechanical empathy" type reservedness, where otherwise normal enjoyment of a sports car transmission may ordinarily exsist**
Attachments
img_2629.jpg
Last edited by Habanero666 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tires aren't cheap!

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by mazdad » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 am

Hey Habanero666, you really should post a warning before putting images like that up - I'm terrified now using the box to provide engine braking is going to destrol my LSD :oops:
"The best British sports car ever" - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 am

mazdad wrote:Hey Habanero666, you really should post a warning before putting images like that up - I'm terrified now using the box to provide engine braking is going to destrol my LSD :oops:
Done, I have edited the post for you.
:D
Tires aren't cheap!

Quidam
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Quidam » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 am

One of the most entertaining posts I've read in quite a while.

I do draw the line when driving behind a vehicle blowing so much black smoke that you risk being asphyxiated

sidebar: I used to run a lot when I lived in Christchurch and during winter I would spit black snot if I ran in the evening

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Trevor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 pm

mazdad wrote:Hey Habanero666, you really should post a warning before putting images like that up - I'm terrified now using the box to provide engine braking is going to destrol my LSD :oops:
The use of engine braking should not result in adverse transmission loading and or clutch wear.
The first cars I used for racing did not incorporate a synchromesh transmission, so that I learned to heal and toe as of necessity. :lol:
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:32 pm

my box is noisy i still thrash it, it has lasted pretty well so far

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

sprsta wrote:my box is noisy i still thrash it, it has lasted pretty well so far
:lol:

Same here, 222,500km and counting...

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:20 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
#4 box going in in three weeks, I think I will use wing nut fasteners this time in anticipation.
Tires aren't cheap!

Return to “MX5 Discussion”