another pre purchase question

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

colsan
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

another pre purchase question

Post by colsan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am

Hi all, we've taken a couple of mx's out for test drives and I've
noticed that if the cars ride over a small bump (even drain covers) in the road while cornering (even very slight corners)
i can feel the back ends kinda stepping out slightly. never enough to upset the cars but just a kind of giggle at the back.
I've never driven a rear wheel drive car before so am wondering is this normal?
when the roads were good both cars cornered very well although the quick turn in caught me out at first as i'm more used to
driving bigger lazier cars.
Oh one was a 6 speed 1800 and the gear ghange felt a little stiff compared to other cars i've driven in the past, again is this normal?
Do mx's tend to have firmer gearchanges

Hojo
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Hojo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:49 pm

It is quite normal for you to feel that with a rear wheel drive car - especially a light sports car like an MX-5.

As for the stiff gear shifting that could be because the entire length of the gear stick is only about 15cm. I don't know what you have driven before but with MX-5s you are sitting next to the drive shaft instead of above it. If you usually drive a car with a long gearstick then it will feel a little more rugged because you have to apply more force to the shorter stick.

Hope it helps :)

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Hojo is correct although the slight twitch from the rear should only be "slight". The gear change has some feel to it, ie. slightly notchy but gear selection should be quick and precise. Cheers Stevo :D
98 NB Evolution Orange

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:48 pm

compared ot a big fwd car or somilar the gear shitf will be very mechanical feeling you will get used to it fast and will wonder how you ever put the others into the right gear

the suspension on an mx5 is very presise a wheel alignment or tyres can change things conciderably, check the tyre pressures and try an alignment if that doesnt help

colsan
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by colsan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:16 pm

cheers guys.
all we gotta do now is find the right car, its turning
out to harder than we thought as some peoples idea
of "excellent conition" is a little strange going off some of
the pieces of crap we've seen so far

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am

What part of the country are you in? cheers Stevo :?:
98 NB Evolution Orange

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 pm

That "Giggle" you fell going over bumps and such is the body moving around ,As good as these cars are they are not perfect,Still nothing to worry about quickest way to cure it is either a style bar or Hardtop,Most later cars 94> already have a bar in place from the factory to overcome this.
Gearchange should be a nice frim "snick" between gears,Any thing too firm could mean gearbox fluid or gearbox is getting a bit tried or wrong grade fluid.
A good car will feel good no matter what the age or km's.
I got my 91" at 170km ,slight damage,But looked after and it drives good,nice and tight feeling.
I've also driven later cars with less km's ,not been maintained very well and they drive like crap and bang rattle ,crash everywhere.
Be paitent ,you will know a good one after you drive a couple.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:01 am

Factory engineer say " style bar for side intrusion only".

Best way to stiffen the body against tunnel shake is the underside and front fender bracing..... that is a topic in itself.

Good luck finding that dream car, it will most likely be found having low kilometers on the clock :wink:
Tires aren't cheap!

Return to “MX5 Discussion”