Front engine oil leak.

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Front engine oil leak.

Post by Trevor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:52 pm

I have an NA 1.8 ltr. with a front of engine oil leak which is becoming troublesome and is difficult to exactly pin down. I suspect the crankshaft seal as being the most likely culprit but the oil pump might be involved.

It would be an advantage to have the parts required on hand when I start pulling things apart and so would very much appreciate opinions as to what to suspect. No doubt there is one seal in the same area, more common than others to fail .

Thanks, Trevor.
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:06 pm

removed your air con by any chance?? theres a bolt that runs through the oil pump into the front of the block, when removed in taking out the air con it often gets left out....it can also de torque and leak from the pump housing
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Trevor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:16 pm

SLYDIT wrote:removed your air con by any chance?? theres a bolt that runs through the oil pump into the front of the block, when removed in taking out the air con it often gets left out....it can also de torque and leak from the pump housing
No, nothing so simple, but thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Trevor. :wink:
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 pm

maybe cam seals also.pretty hard to get seals before you know what you need unless you intend to do everything.such as cam seals cam belt, water pump, front engine oil seal, sump gasket.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

petercristina
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Front engine oil leak.

Post by petercristina » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:17 pm

I had a leak behind the engine by the fire wall at the crank shaft angle gasket...
Peter Garrity
Wellington

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Trevor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks, but I know that it is not the camshaft seals leaking. Looks like I can assume that it is the crankshaft seal.
Trevor.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”