mx5 hardtop patents?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

mx5 hardtop patents?

Post by Psycho_Dad » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:21 pm

Im wondering if mx5 hardtops are a patented item... i mean why don't people clone them considering they are in high demand and are so damn expensive?

does anyone know if these are patented? or copyrighted or something that stops poeple from making them?

i really want one but i dont think forking out another 30% of the cost of my car is practical

cheers
Psycho_Dad

petercristina
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

mx5 hardtop patents?

Post by petercristina » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi, I don't know about the patent, but you can buy several different makes and styles in the US.
Peter Garrity
Wellington

Bazza
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Bazza » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:59 pm

They are a mixed blessing. My car came with one and my wife loves it in winter. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to buy one....but "horses for courses ?"
1990 Roadster 1.6L

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Psycho_Dad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:56 am

true well i just bought one that im picking up friday, ill give it a good road test and see if its for me too

i use my car as a daily driver so it would be a blessing for me, damn it that soft top gets noisy as speed

id like more opinions on this though, cheers bazza

PEace
PSycho_Dad

agent99
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by agent99 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:24 am

Hi, I would suspect that the cost of replicating the top would mount quick when you start buying the rubber, and fittings. If you look closely there is quite a bit to the tops. As a diy project then the glassing would be cheap but the window and fittings will give you a beating. I found a nice targa top on on ebay in USA but haven't been able to find it's origin. The targa top stowed in the trunk and it was on a MK1. Unbeleavably my pal bought one off trademe for $385. recently. We went cash in hand ready to tell them where to get off but can away with a top in reasonable contition. If you want the pics of the targa top e-mail me at, timeshop@xtra.co.nz Have too much trouble trying to up load here. Cheers
Would you believe a small Ferrari, then how about a little red Corvette, well what about a classic red mx5.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”