re[3]: Air filtration test for K&N on a Miata 92

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2003
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:21 pm

I agree with Phil and Lou. I had one of these air boxes on my old car and I can recommend cutting the hole slightly larger and fitting rubber edging. I had a bugger of a time finding a 3 inch hole saw to borrow (I'm too cheap to buy one just to cut one hole) and ended up using a 2 & 7/8ths or something like that, then dremelling it bigger. it was originally a snug fit but it rattled and squeeked quite a bit until I enlarged it and used some foam gasket I had lying around. It might also pay to put wire mesh or something similar over the end of the intake. My car used to be parked outside quite a bit, usually under or near trees and I found that I had to clean out the airbox every few months as any leaves that dropped into the area at the base of the windscreen got sucked in. Apart from those two things I found it a great addition to the car. I can't rate it highly enough.

M@

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by DBM58 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:35 pm

Thanks.
You are right about the hole-saw, the largest that I have is 2 1/2 inches. I will try and find a rubber grommett to fit around the edges. The sticky-backed foam rubber tape that came with it just seems too awkward to use and will probably look ugly. That is a good suggestion about the mesh, my car is also parked outside quite a lot.
Mr Stewart sounds to be quite a character - he is 84 years old know and in his time he has been the president of the Ferrari Club of Australia. The Dino was his favourite, it would sit on 140mph comfortably on long trips. He has modified his current car, an Alfa something, to such an extent that it can aquit itself very well against the likes of the Porsche 930.

David Moughtin
David

Return to “2003”