Insurance Claim Question....

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2003
Chic & Morven

Post by Chic & Morven » Mon May 05, 2003 10:29 pm

You have to bite the bullet and take it back to an assessor, I'm sure you will find that they will be reasonable about it.
It's a bit of an inconvenience now, but if you don't you'll be annoyed every time you see it or someone points it out to you.

I know the feeling though, I haven't even put mine in for repair yet cause I'm dreading having to drive a tintop for a week.

[...]

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Tue May 06, 2003 8:15 am

Tell the repair shop that you want it done right. If no luck, go to the
insurance co. Legally, the car must be restored to the condition it was in
before the accident, but not better. I believe this clause is called
'betterment'.

Mathew

Post by Mathew » Tue May 06, 2003 8:40 am

In have the same problem, from a repair that was done before I bought the car. I'm guessing your car is either red, blue or yellow as the factory paint for these colurs tends to fade quite noticeably. What makes it worse is that as the bodywork on an mx5 is made of a combination of different materials (plastic bumpers, steel panels, aluminium bonnet) they all fade at different rates. I'm guessing that all the paint on your car has slightly faded over the years, and when the repair was done they just resprayed the affected area in the exact factory colour, making it look brighter than the rest of the car. Perhaps getting the rest of the car cut and polished by the professionals will restore its colour somewhat and give a better match between old and new?

M@

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Wed May 07, 2003 8:34 am

You may have a problem in that case, good luck.

Gary Morrison
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Gary Morrison » Wed May 07, 2003 2:00 pm

I had this happen. The repairer was a good one, and repainted part of the car to get a better match. Paint matching is part of their job, there is no excuse for it to be wrong. If necessary take it to another repairer and get a written opinion, take that to your repairer, and if they won't fix it take it to the disputes tribunal.

On Mon, 5 May 2003 18:31:56 +1200, Kleo Zois wrote:

Hiya,
I have a question about an insurance claim...

I was stopped at lights and hit from behind into the car in front of me... Anyway, after "repair" the paint doesn't match the paint that I previously had on the car and I was hoping that someone from the club knew the legalities / where to go from here.

It's not my fault, I was stopped when he hit me, and I kinda want my car in the condition it was before I took it in. The panelbeater has suggested I take it back in for another assessor to look at it, but it's SUCH an inconvenience cuz I'm a student... and I miss my baby so much when she's gone... . .. . . .

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kleo.

Return to “2003”