re[2]: super/turbo charging and insurance

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2003
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:24 am

I don't think the "factory approved conversion" excuse will work for too much longer, as the regulations are getting tighter. I am considering getting my whole car (SC, brakes, seats etc) certified to avoid any hassles in the future. The certification for engine mods is to check that everything is correctly done and that the car can handle the extra power (with improved brakes to go with it etc.). Just because Mazdaspeed supply the same supercharger, doesn't mean that the JRSC that cousin Cletus installs poorly himself, on a car with worn out standard brakes is going to be safe enough that it doesn't need certification.

ps- Any good offers on your car Lou?

M@

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:25 pm

No, nothing yet. I may put a figure on it.
I don't know if LTSA will be able to second guess a vehicle manufacturer on
construction standards, still anything's possible in the FRNZ ( Feminist
Republic of New Zild)
Lou

Mathew

Post by Mathew » Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:38 am

Hi Glenn, my broker is Aon Risk Services. What made it easier for me was that I have had vehicles insured through them for the last 13 years and I was originally insured under my fathers insurance cover (& he's got a lot of business stuff through them). They were good in continuing to insure me as a under-25 year old with a Honda CRX (which no-one else would insure for an under 25 back in the early 90's) after I crashed it twice (only once my fault). After causing 20k in damage you actually start to think paying only $1000 a year in insurance is pretty good value :)

M@

Return to “2003”