Newbie with a dead window

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

drew74
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Newbie with a dead window

Post by drew74 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi all...

Bit of a new guy here, inherited my 91 Eunos Roadster a few months back from the sister-in-law who now lives overseas.

The car has been in storage rather neglected up until recently and I'm working through all the little bits and pieces one at a time... current task is the passenger window which doesn't work.

I was going to start at the fuses, switches and work my way through the possible causes, can anyone give me an idea of the most likely cause?? Any tips and tricks for the new guy :?: :?:

Thanks in advance.

Drew

last_resort14
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by last_resort14 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:53 pm

My first guess would be the switches, mine play up often. sometimes have to press them like 20 times before they work, if you can swap the plugs on the switches over and see if the problem goes to the other side

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 pm

yeah the most likely cause is the switches. they get carbon on the contacts.
Go down to dick smith or Jaycar and get a "fiberglass pen" to clean the contacts of the switch. DO NOT USE SAND PAPER!!!!!!

Using sand paper removes the protective nickel coating from the contacts and you will be forever having to clean the switches. using a fiberglass pen will remove the carbon without taking all the coating off the contacts.

oh and take the switch apart over a nice clean sheet so if you drop anything you can find the little bits again.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 pm

SLYDIT wrote:Go down to dick smith or Jaycar and get a "fiberglass pen" to clean the contacts of the switch. DO NOT USE SAND PAPER!!!!!!
electrical contact cleaner spray works nicely - depending on switch type you may be able to spray a bunch into it and move the mechanism a bunch to get it clean, although taking it apart is your best option.

a couple of other useful discussions that may help you:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=3139
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?p=27035
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=6398
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?p=29223
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=7493

cheers
(z)

drew74

Post by drew74 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks guys, will give that a go this weekend!

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:08 pm

just a peice of info...the window reg wire is known to snap.and because of this they are normally rediculously overpriced.mine has been broken since i bought my car.never bothered to replace because drivers window works and im not the passenger.haha.but if its too hot a/c or the top comes down :D
"What's the driving force behind blackbetty"........Satan :twisted::twisted::twisted:

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:10 pm

door trim is easily removed fyi.screw in the handle and from memory 3 in the armrest/grip.remove the handle and just pull of the trim its held on with clips
"What's the driving force behind blackbetty"........Satan :twisted::twisted::twisted:

drew74

Post by drew74 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Hey thanks for that blackbetty, I have to admit, I still haven't rolled up my sleeves and had a look at this! :oops:

Now that the weathers getting cooler and the calendar not so full I'll hopefully get a free weekend to dig into this properly.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:46 pm

no worries.(karma my way if im right :lol: :P ) should take only 2 mins to pull off trim and youll find straight away if the wire is snapped.good luck :)

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”