NA Reflectors

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

reneg75
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

NA Reflectors

Post by reneg75 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:47 pm

So I recently purchased my first mx5 but it had no warrent as it needed a bit of work done after I fixed all the obvious stuff I could see I took it to a WOF place and they failed me on a few things. But one of these things was the reflectors not having any lights in them.

At first I thought there was just a blown bulb but when i removed the reflectors there was no bulb or cables anywhere and there is no where for bulbs to go into the reflectors either. and all the mx5's I've seen around don't have lights in there reflectors

I was just wondering if anyones had experience with this and what they did
Thanks!

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:07 am

Uhhhm... are they referring to the reflectors on the bumper or the side indicators on the front guards?

reneg75

NA Reflectors

Post by reneg75 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 am

Yes the ones on the bumper, The ones on the guards are fine.

Nearly too late
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Nearly too late » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:28 am

These are lite on American models of the Miata but as far as I am aware they are not lite on Japanese models, they are not a requirement in New Zealand.
I have fitted bulbs in my 1990 to give a wee bit of a different look at night but have had no problems with getting a WOF

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Grainger's Workshop Manual (7.33) notes that in some countries, the NA had reflectors in the bumpers, not lights. NZ is one of those countries...my NZ new 1.8 had no lights/harnesses. I believe your WOF inspector is incorrect....and that these lenses are best described as 'reflectors'. :shock:
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

reneg75

Post by reneg75 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Alright thanks a lot guys!
I'll talk to the inspector when I go in for a recheck

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:52 pm

just to chime in with the previous replies, the reflectors in the bumpers have no lights (although they do have fittings for them) and I personally have never had any problems getting a warrant for my car (and I painted my bumper reflectors black)

Seems you just got an over zealous inspector, best of luck in the future recheck :)

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”