Whiteline swaybars

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Whiteline swaybars

Post by Brainflex » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi, I can get Whiteline F n R swaybars (adjustable) for $470 inc. Anything better out there?

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Aussie site list's them at $271.00 AUS each plus shipping ,US site aren't that far off either ,sounds like a good deal for the Adjustable type.
Do they come with sway bar bushes to suit as well,I take it they are larger diameter

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 pm

good point, I will have to check on that.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Aftermarket bars usually come with e appropriate bushes.
Beware that many 'kits' have a bar on the rear which alters the front to rear balance ie the rear bar is way too thick if you go really quickly ie you will oversteer wildly. First drive on the road with a heavy rear bar and you will think...great and be impressed with how flat the cars sits, but eventually you will need an armfull of opposite lock!!!!!!!!!!!
I imported the hollow Racing Beat bar which is much admired in the competitive US marketplace (and light...freight was US$60 a couple of yrs back), and teamed it up with a 12mm bar from the 1.6 NA, using urethane bushes on the bar and links. (My NA 1.8 came with an 11mm bar as standard. I have aftermarket rosejointed front links as well which have the effect of giving 'more bar' to your suspension). This is a great balance on the track and on the road...combined with aftermarket springs and konis.

Cheers
Ian :D
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks for the advice. I am looking into the thickness and seeing what would be best. The whiteline ones are adjustable ones, coupled with rose joint droplinks they look a good option for DD and occasional track use.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:28 am

The ratio of front to rear spring rates can have a big effect on what sway bars work best.
To give you an idea, I bought the Whiteline 24mm/16mm kit when I first built my car. The first springs I used were 400lb front/300lb rear (a ratio of 1.33:1). With both Whitelines, the car was OK on the road but undriveable on the limit on the track, oversteering diabolically just as Ian said. After playing around with both front and rear bars I ended up without any bar at all on the rear, the front on full stiff, and a neutrally handling car.
I have recently changed to 12kg front/8kg rear springs (a ratio of 1.5:1)
and am now having to play around with the bars again. The standard NA rear bar is not quite stiff enough (a bit too much understeer) and the 16mm Whiteline, on its softest setting, gives a bit too much oversteer. The next test will be the standard rear bar with the front softened off slightly.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”