17" rims for NB what difference will it make.

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Kiwibirkin
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

17" rims for NB what difference will it make.

Post by Kiwibirkin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:30 pm

We are looking for better rims & tires for our 1998 Vspec .

Currently we have the standard rims with the standard tires which are 14" with 185/60R14 tires, we have seen some nice rims that are 17" with 205/40z R17 84W tires on them and using the wheel calculator it comes out very close to the same size just a tad larger. We have seen a NB with larger 17 rims and it seems to fill the arches out better and we like the look.

The wheels in question we are looking at are off a NA model will they go on a NB or is the offset different between the NA & NB ??? I know some will say the ride is harsher on a MX5 with larger wheels and such a low profile tire and im expecting that a bit but are there any other issues we should know about at all.

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers Stephen
Kiwibirkin

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Unless they are particularly light wheels they will have a negative effect on handling.

aidwano
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by aidwano » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:38 pm

If you want to fill up the arches get 15's/16's and lower it a bit too, it'll look much better that way

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 pm

NB's do have a longer suspension travel than a NA,so will ride better than a NA with bigger wheels.
Do bear in mind that 17's will give your wheel bearings a harder time as well as brakes .
Take in account the Brand of Tyre,If they are cheepo 17"s they won't do the car any favour's handling wise.
Bit of a compromise but really comes down to what you want.
My own thoughts would be 15" or 16".

Had a customer in work last week with a NA on 17's,He bought a set of NB 14's on mint BFG touring tyres i traded that day...rung me the next ,Couldn't believe how much better the car drove and cornered and didn't feel squirmy under braking as when on the 17'"s.

These cars NEED quality wheels and tyres ,That's one thing they are sensitive about

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:07 pm

brownie wrote: These cars NEED quality wheels and tyres ,That's one thing they are sensitive about
Yep, unsprung weight is a real killer of handling and responsiveness.

fleet1
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by fleet1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:05 am

Hi Stephen, I have just bought a 5 and intend to change to 15" and no larger as I am concerned about the ride rather than the look, 40's will give a hard ride I am told. The seven can have a hard ride :D . Mike.
I hope to live forever, so far, so good.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”