dobinsons lowering springs opinions please

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

dobinsons lowering springs opinions please

Post by blackbetty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:32 pm

anyone got any experience with dobi springs in Na roadster? ride quality, stiffness, handling and ride height drop?

Wannabe Kiwi
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Wannabe Kiwi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Yea i have them in the rear. When i put them in the car they actually increased ride height, however when they settled i dropped around 25mm.

They are nice and stiff and I would certainly recommend them.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:49 am

getting kings instead. guy at work said theyre better than dobis. cant find super lows though. would they lower to an illegal height?

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Got a good set of near new King springs at work (Mazline) ,Came off a car we had,Low but not too low,Let me know what new ones are worth and i will make you a offer for ours,Look damn near new.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:32 pm

400. damn tho cause they arrive at my work tomorrow.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:33 pm

do you know how much for a key way the plate it holds in and the main pully and main bolt

Wannabe Kiwi

Post by Wannabe Kiwi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:00 am

blackbetty wrote:do you know how much for a key way the plate it holds in and the main pully and main bolt
I think I might have all these in amongst my spare parts. Will have a look tomorrow but wont be asking too much for them.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:34 pm

put the kings in now.sits nice and low. i was worried because i couldnt get superlows (i dont think they make em as with just lows my car is 120mm off the ground) handling is so much better. turn in is way sharper. it slides much easier and holds slides better too. very pleased. sway bars next i think

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Umm, err...the aim of suspension mods should not be to " make it slide easier", so you have some issues to correct before you look at your sways, I would suggest?
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:58 am

not a fan of drifting i assume? many different motorsports out there and different purposes for modifications. so yea im doing my suspension to make it "slide" better

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm

enlighten me as to what suspension modifications are supposed to acheive if they are not to create a handling package better suited to the type of racing the car is being built for????????????????????????????????????????????????

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 pm

I come across this at work ,misinformation,Always handy to know your intended purpose before asking for a opinion/idea/information.
Can make all the difference in the world for what you need,Ian is into proper sealed circuit track days,I know wannabe Kiwi is into Drift ,2 completely different set ups for the same style of car.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:10 pm

thank you for your reply its appreciated.his was very closed minded though.
"What's the driving force behind blackbetty"........Satan :twisted::twisted::twisted:

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm

blackbetty wrote:... im doing my suspension to make it "slide" better
Adjustable sway bars, the trouble with slide easily is it can make it harder to get back under control, hence the great AE86 perfect balance. An adjustable sway bar at the back will help you get lose but will allow adjustament for excessive oversteer.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 pm

oh yea for sure.i meant i dont have to put such extreme inputs in to get it started.but i think sway bars and nolathanes (and coilovers down the track somewhere but damn theyre expensive. got the springs just for the mean time.) all round will definately give some improvements to initiation and control.but im no expert its all trial and error for now
"What's the driving force behind blackbetty"........Satan :twisted::twisted::twisted:

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:59 pm

I wasn't being close mined,Far from it,What you are into,You are into,Whatever that may be,It is just easier to get the right information or idea from the right person if they know what you are trying to achieve,Going around a corner fast and flat is going to be a way different setup to sliding it out.
You will get plenty of good information from guys on the forum that tinker with their cars that have tried different settings with different results that will point you in the right direction now that we know what you want. :)

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 pm

oops not you i was greatful for your reply the ian guy was who i meant but im not all pissed about it or anything

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Sweet as ,Ian's car is bit of a track car ,Very competitive from what i understand,Drift's not his thing .

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm

its not the fastest way aronud a corner (shakes finger)
but is fun eh hab :wink:

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 pm

not the fastest no...coolest yes! haha.

Wannabe Kiwi

Post by Wannabe Kiwi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 pm

blackbetty wrote:not the fastest no...coolest yes! haha.
Im with you mate. I've got a dedicated drift car in an R32 Skyline and the MX5 is my daily driver. However the 5 is WAY more fun to drive and since drifting on private roads with my 5 my skill level has shot up when it comes back to the skyline.

The only thing is the 5 needs about 100bhp more.... nothing a lexus V8 won't sort out :P

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:17 pm

street drifting tsk tsk tsk... ive neeever done that *shifts eyes left to right, left to right.*

definately needs more power so mid drift you dont fade...understeer...drift...fade...repeat.but i have a strange , strange loyalty towards my lil 16 hundy. i dont think id feel right pulling out my 5s soul.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:22 pm

oh to avoid later awkward confusion im a dude

Wannabe Kiwi

Post by Wannabe Kiwi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:06 am

I've found with timing advanced to 14deg + and a decent filter exhaust setup i've got enough power to drift ok. In the wet its alot easier obviously just in the dry you need more speed.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:33 am

in the wet i think its almost fine. at the moment its got (by the previous owner) a rangi chopped mish mash welded exhaust with hotdogs all over the place and one of those awesom hot air intake systems (pod filter directly over the exhaust manifold.how did they think that would make more power than the standard intake which they didnt have?) im gunna get sum stainless pipe and silicon joiners and move it closer to the tb and put on my rx7 afm.and redo my timing.i assume its back to 10 after i took my engine apart and put cambelt back on markings all lined up.it doesnt seem as torquey as it was with 14deg

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”