Bridgestone Adrenelin RE001 vs. Toyo T1R

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Bridgestone Adrenelin RE001 vs. Toyo T1R

Post by GEEMCB » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:09 am

hi, all

Starting a new thread here, though it relates to other recent discussions.

Am tossing up between
1) Bridgestone Adrenelin RE001 (the G III replacement) at $189 or
2) Toyo T1R at $179.

Both in 195/50/R15.

I'm aware that there are strong proponents of both (g'day, Glenn !) & confess to leaning towards the Toyo - though it's a close run thing.

Anyone have any experience yet with the RE001 ?

Am currently running Yokohama A159's which have been great, but for various reasons my choice doesn't include them this time around.

Regards,
Greg
Greg
1990 V Special

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Bridgestone Adrenelin RE001 vs. Toyo T1R

Post by zorruno » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:43 pm

GEEMCB wrote:Am tossing up between
1) Bridgestone Adrenelin RE001 (the G III replacement) at $189 or
2) Toyo T1R at $179.
Both in 195/50/R15.
I'm firmly on the Bridgestone side (from what I've read/seen/heard of the tyres so far), but won't be needing new tyres for a while so can't really comment or compare...

FWIW Eden Tyres (managed by a friend of mine) can do the T1Rs for a couple of bucks cheaper if you decide go that way (fitted & balanced). They can't better that RE001 price though.
See thread here.

Also, unsurprisingly other groups are going through the same thing at the moment - this is a link from the NZ Hondas club which has a bit more info on the RE001, but not much of a review yet...
(z)

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 am

I would'nt have thought that the Bridgestone G Grid was consided an ultra high performance tyre, in the first place. So, does the R001 also replace the Bridgestone SO3?

I have the T1R in the same size you are considering. Although I race on Yokohama, you will not be disappointed in the Toyos. They are proven on MX5s, and will perform on the open road, better than any sane person will demand of them. I run 'sport' alignment settings. In saying that, an idiot driver can still fly off the road even with F1 tyres!

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:27 pm

Thanks, gents

According to the blurb the RE001 is a replacemnet for the SO3 - or at least as I read it.

And agree re. tyres out-sticking most drivers' capabilities - including mine ! Aside from the odd club track day I'm not doing anything too severe with the car, however my philosophy is to buy better than you need for the odd time when it makes that fraction of a difference.

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:43 pm

i think the biggest upside of the toyos is that they everyday comfortable as well as sticky...the Bridgestones ive had(the latest being grid 2's) were always like riding on blocks of wood. the toyos have softer sidewalls which takes a bit of getting used to after bridgestones but they are worthit IMHO.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Gordon Tucker
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Gordon Tucker » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:12 am

I'm a fan of the Toyos. Ive had them on an NA and a NB - both were on 17 inch wheels. I now have an NC with the factory Michelins, which although are good in the dry, they let go in the wet last weekend unexpectedly (used to Toyo grip). I'm thinking of swapping the Toyos of my NB to see if they are as good on an NC
2006 NC RS, Winning Blue. Lowered 30mm with King springs, aftermarket rear muffler and single exhaust, Toyo C1S 215/45x17 tyres

GEEMCB

Decision made .....

Post by GEEMCB » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Well, I know that this will have some of you holding head in hands - but I got a set of the RE001s fitted yesterday & I'm delighted !

Very new yet & I had the bike rack on during today's drive, but initial impressions are very favorable. I believe the compound is quite a bit softer than the Yoko A539s I had on, so I'm going to have to watch out for uneven tread wear - but they certainly stick well thus far. And yes, Gazza, I recall your views on people who rave about new tyres when compared back to back with old stuffed ones :D

Nice sharp turn-in, quieter & certainly more comfortable over road undulations than the old ones. No shimmy or vibration at motorway cruising speeds either.

Will provide an update in a month or so.

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”