Brake Pads

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Brake Pads

Post by PLSEME » Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 pm

:D Just out of interest what brake pads are people out there using , what would you recomend , what would you not recomend ?

I drive the car every day & thrash the pants off it every weekend , it dosnt cut out at 180kph I found that out the fun way so i do need to be able to scrud speed off :twisted:
Scientists now foresee the future will be much more futuristic than they first forswore

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by Miatamad » Thu May 03, 2007 8:57 am

I would recommend Mintex pads (not cheap tho') - you can get them from 0800 racebrakes -- http://www.racebrakes.co.nz

They are good to talk to and if you describe what you are doing they are always happy to make sure they sell you the right product.

Interesting to read that some people state that you can over brake a MX5 as they are so light ?? - but this is when you are talking the wilwood setups etc - not for what you are looking for.

Good luck
Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Thu May 03, 2007 12:52 pm

Currently using Endless they are quite good got a lot of response in them :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

jojonz
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by jojonz » Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 pm

EBC Green Stuff.
92 SE brg, Greddy Td04 & Manifold, custom DP, Nissan silvia IC, EMB, Autotune, 315 inj. work in progress.

MN

Post by MN » Thu May 03, 2007 11:32 pm

I'd agree with the Mintex from Racebrakes. My wife uses the car during the week as her every day car and has no idea the brake pads are different so they are fine from cold ie no warming up needed. I use it for racing and rallying and they are superb - but you do need to bed them in properly or they won't last as long. Even so I find 2 years is all I'll get from the fronts and 3-4 years from the rears (6-8 days rallying, 3-4 hillclimbs, 10-15 race meetings).
cheers,

Mark

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Brake Pads

Post by jif » Fri May 04, 2007 10:13 am

have the Mintex pads, they're dusty, but have no other complaints. I tend not to use the brakes if at all possible ... :D

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Fri May 04, 2007 5:37 pm

yeah mintex 1177's seem very popular ...as are Bendix ULTIMATE (not advance they suck! i have them)
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat May 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Hey there Mark....

Race Brakes have recommended M1166 pad material to me, for occasional race use (plus Motul Race fluid - which I have already fitted)
What grade of pad are you using?

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

MN

Post by MN » Sun May 06, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi Ian,

The same, M1166. My previous set were M1155 but they also recommended the 1166 to me and the cost was the same if I recall. I supplied a set of old pads onto which they bonded the new material. They also told me that the thickness of the pads was also about 1mm thicker (if I recall correctly) than the recommended standard pad but it would still fit in - which it did. They would machine it back if I wanted it but any added pad depth is extra life!
cheers,

Mark

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun May 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Thanks Mark...

RB alloy flywheel (9lbs) plus HD Exedy clutch fitted two weeks ago. ...wow! Very pleased...konis plus RB springs next weekend....does it ever end?

Ian :)
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Nickf
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Nickf » Mon May 14, 2007 9:37 pm

I am also using the Mintex M1166 and Motul race fluid, from Racebrakes. Really excellent right from cold and great on the track, but very dusty. I have a 10AE with highly polished wheels so getting a bit sick of cleaning the dust off all the time.

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Mon May 14, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah I found that the OEM pads had the least dust. However, it seems they needed to be warmed up a bit to work fully... The Endless pads that I'm using at the moment seem to be a good mix on the road... They handled well on track, but I only took it there for a few hot laps, not a major Auto-X :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”