Bendix Mintex XP ?

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Bendix Mintex XP ?

Post by GEEMCB » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi, all

Was checking the front brake pads today & pulled them out. I've not replaced them since getting the car so whatever is there is from the previous owner.

The code on the back was DB1178 BM XP FF 408443.

I've figured that they're Bendix Mintex (BM) & for an MX5 (doh) - that's the DB1178 part.

Anyone know what specific pad they are ? Can't find reference to an "XP" on their site. The FF is the friction grading - again don't know if it's good or so so. Any information welcome.

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi Greg

The guys at Race Brakes on New North Road may be able to help decifer it.

Euen

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:08 pm

Cheers, Euen

Quite right - I gave Race Brakes a call today.

Good news = they are really helpful people. :D
Bad news = XP does not stand for Xtreme Performance. :cry:
Good news = XP is the entry level Bendix Mintex asbetos-based pad; good quality all round pad. :P FF is a fair average quality friction rating.
Bad news = if you're serious about performance pads they can go to $200+ each - dang you'd need good stopping to justify that ! :shock:

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Euen

Post by Euen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Hi Greg

Pleased that you got the info that you wanted. I agree, good brakes can be very expensive. I went with the Mintex M1166 compound which the guys at race Brakes suggested would be a suitable compound for what I was planning. And no, they weren't $200 each. From memory it was a bit over $400 for the full set about 12 months ago.

Having run out of brakes a couple of times I wanted to make sure that it didn't happen again. Arriving at the bottom of Paekak Hill in a Rover SD1 with no brakes left is not much fun although the trip to that point had been very enjoyable.:twisted:

I haven't had a chance to try them, out yet as the car is still under construction. (But getting closer - yay):D

Cheers
Euen

MN

Post by MN » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:59 am

Yes I've also now got Mintex M1166 compound. Last year I used the M1155 compound and was told they would last the Dunlop Targa. The fronts actually lasted for 4 days rallying and several other race meetings plus a year's regular road use. Replacement cost for the fronts last June was about $200 for the set. I'm now planning on a front set every year and a rear set every 2 years.

Fabulous braking performance and they DONT need to be warmed up before use. Make sure you also use the higher boiling point brake fluid with them.

Race Brakes will reline an old set of pads for you which will reduce the cost.
cheers,

Mark

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi Guys

I'm keen to upgrade my brakes a little, having tried metal I'm not so happy as they are not good unless warmed up, and you guys seem happy about these Mintex M1166 compound units. My question is do they make more dust? ie; dirty mags all the time? and how about kevlar? or is that off the price scale?

Cheers

Gazza
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

MN

Post by MN » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:58 pm

As far as brake dust is concerned they seem OK for road use but I have them purely for competition use and dust is just not on the priority list. I don't know about kevlar.
cheers,

Mark

Nickf
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Nickf » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:57 pm

I have also been converted to the Mintex 1166 by the guys at Race Brakes. Just wanted more stopping for track days, and so far very happy with them. They work well right from cold and absolutely no fade at all at Pukekohe. The downside is lots of dust and expensive: $400 for the set, plus another $60 for fluid.

Euen

Post by Euen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:03 pm

I have just heard that BNT can also do 1166 (apparently they supply the compound to Race Brakes). Not sure of price, but as with Race Brakes, they will re-line your old backing plates.

Cheers
Euen

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”