Adjustable suspension

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Adjustable suspension

Post by DBM58 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:24 pm

I recently drove to the Drivers's training day in Taupo, from Auckland. My suspension was set at the hardest setting. For the trip home I changed it to the softest. Obviously it has made a significant difference to the harshness of the ride and at this stage, I will leave it this way.

I would be interested in comments on how other people have theirs adjusted, and the reasons behind their choice.
David

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:18 am

Konis? or something more adjustable?

I leave my konis (with aftermarket springs) on full soft - sometimes before a long run on twisty roads I give them about half a turn or so.

If you have konis, and adjusted yours more than about a turn and a half, it would probably have been very harsh...
(z)

MN
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MN » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:41 pm

I have Koni adjustables and leave them at 3/4 hard all the time. My wife uses the car around Wellington as her summer runabout and has never commented on any harshness. I think spring rates and tyre pressures may have more to do with the harshness of the ride as the adjustment on the shocks is just about rebound but there again my mechanical knowledge is limited to wheel changing so what would I know?
cheers,

Mark

Shift4Brains

Post by Shift4Brains » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:28 pm

I have Koni's too and also have them on 3/4 hard. It doesn't feel uncomfortable and, in my opinion, gives better grip than all the way hard (on the road).

conceptrat
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by conceptrat » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:59 pm

I too have the Koni Adjustables and have Racing Beat Street Springs. I have set the shocks to about 3/4 hard. Rides a little hard but this is because of the Racing Beat springs which are in my opinion a little to much for general road use.

If I set the shocks to completely soft then the ride does improve but the car has a tendency to dive badly on braking and tracks somewhat badly. Setting to full hard makes me wonder how so many of the street racers, you see in central auckland, still have an internal organs left. I could only think that it could be useful for making milkshakes will cruising queen st ;-P

I'm considering changing to some springs from the ones used in the automatic version of the 1990 MX5's. According to Ray Smith who used to own a beautiful yellow supercharged MX5 they are a little harder than standard because of the extra weight from the auto and match quite well with the Konis set halfway.

Cheers
Julz

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Racing Beat Springs...

Post by Ian » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:15 am

Can you let me know if you want to sell those RB springs please, as I am after a set. What front and rear spring perch settings are you using on your Konis?

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Racing Beat Springs...

Post by Ian » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:09 pm

Can you contact me please re your Racing Beat springs...I am looking for a set..

Cheers,
Ian
walksdrives@xtra.co.nz
conceptrat wrote:I too have the Koni Adjustables and have Racing Beat Street Springs. I have set the shocks to about 3/4 hard. Rides a little hard but this is because of the Racing Beat springs which are in my opinion a little to much for general road use.

If I set the shocks to completely soft then the ride does improve but the car has a tendency to dive badly on braking and tracks somewhat badly. Setting to full hard makes me wonder how so many of the street racers, you see in central auckland, still have an internal organs left. I could only think that it could be useful for making milkshakes will cruising queen st ;-P

I'm considering changing to some springs from the ones used in the automatic version of the 1990 MX5's. According to Ray Smith who used to own a beautiful yellow supercharged MX5 they are a little harder than standard because of the extra weight from the auto and match quite well with the Konis set halfway.

Cheers
Julz
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Ace
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Knoi v Bilstein

Post by Ace » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 pm

Is anyone riding on bilstein's or have they had both at one stage and which is better.
I have fitted a set of rated Bilstien (as low as I can get without the srping plate making contact) and I though I would have a stirdier ride but in fact it hits bumps wute harshly.

Don't know whether it''s worht changing the existing king coils.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”