Suspension and track times Disscusion

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Correct. Personally don't like Puke, its unforgiving in several places and I'm not comfortable pushing 110% on it in case of errors. Love the full Taupo track, would be my favourite track in NZ. 1:05 sounds about right. Those were my fastest times, averaged about 1-3 seconds slower than those.

Just saying, I know where my limits are in the car, no point in worrying about them when I'm making 90rwhp lol

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Angreal wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote:My next option would be to look at the middle to top Fortune Auto coilovers with custom rates on them, but until I hit the limit with how I can perform driving on these, theres no point.

I was doing 1:11's at Puke and 1:20's at Taupo in a near stock engined car, run to your limit. THEN spend money to make yourself faster, this poor bitch has barely seen the track yet, let alone hitting the limit driving her
I'd be very scared to try reach the limit in Donovan's car :wink:
If you can't reach the limit of his suspension, why upgrade it? That was my point

Furai
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Donovan wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote:
chris wrote:Or just spend a little bit more and get coilovers..
Coilover setup that is comparable would be about $2200. Quite prepared to run aftermarket shocks, with aftermarket springs, that have been revalved t suit the height and stiffness I want.

No difference between that and coilovers other than the fact I can change the height whenever.
When I was chatting to the Autolign guys at Albany about trying to find some hard to find Springs for my Tein Coilovers, they said an option would be to get Bilstein's with the circlips, and then apparently they do a tread kit or something that you remove the circlip and can put in platforms that turn them into a sort of coilover, think it was about $800-$900 or something?? Don't quote me on the price, cause my memory is shocking, but it was cheap.

Mad_Kiwi was also running HSD coilovers in his (before getting Keith's Koni's) which I think are about $1500, and a few of the reviews that I read about them said that they were not too bad. Dodson do these.
Yeah I had a look at that but didnt want the cert. I found a set of Bilstein Coilovers PSS-9 for $1500 about 3 months old but add on the annoyance of a cert and no being allowed to adjust I lost interest.

I got my Tein coiloversprings from the states(in transit now) as Autolign would take about 2 months to get them which I couldnt be bothered waiting. $430 shipped for the whole set.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Furai wrote:
Donovan wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote: Coilover setup that is comparable would be about $2200. Quite prepared to run aftermarket shocks, with aftermarket springs, that have been revalved t suit the height and stiffness I want.

No difference between that and coilovers other than the fact I can change the height whenever.
When I was chatting to the Autolign guys at Albany about trying to find some hard to find Springs for my Tein Coilovers, they said an option would be to get Bilstein's with the circlips, and then apparently they do a tread kit or something that you remove the circlip and can put in platforms that turn them into a sort of coilover, think it was about $800-$900 or something?? Don't quote me on the price, cause my memory is shocking, but it was cheap.

Mad_Kiwi was also running HSD coilovers in his (before getting Keith's Koni's) which I think are about $1500, and a few of the reviews that I read about them said that they were not too bad. Dodson do these.
Yeah I had a look at that but didnt want the cert. I found a set of Bilstein Coilovers PSS-9 for $1500 about 3 months old but add on the annoyance of a cert and no being allowed to adjust I lost interest.

I got my Tein coiloversprings from the states(in transit now) as Autolign would take about 2 months to get them which I couldnt be bothered waiting. $430 shipped for the whole set.
What rates? Your shocks are still factory valved right?

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:
What rates? Your shocks are still factory valved right?
I got 8Kg for the front and 6Kg for the rear. Mine have been revalved for these rates.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Man thats gunna be a rough ride if you daily it haha. Im about the same but have more spring travel than you I think

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:I was doing 1:11's at Puke and 1:20's at Taupo in a near stock engined car, run to your limit. THEN spend money to make yourself faster, this poor bitch has barely seen the track yet, let alone hitting the limit driving her
My race car does 1.08's! I could get 1.20 out of my fairly standard MX5 chasing a Datsun 1200 Race Car...but that was with a slight drift into the last corner before the back straight so I could maintain the speed.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 pm

I guess 7/5 will be a much better daily driver rate? 8) I guess I'll find out this weekend.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 pm

7/5 with shocks valved to suit would be ok for spirited daily driving. Mine are pretty tough, have to dodge potholes.

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:Man thats gunna be a rough ride if you daily it haha. Im about the same but have more spring travel than you I think
I dont think you would have more spring travel unless your using NB tophats, especially if your running lower than me(Im about 310mm hub to arch height all round.) so about 130mm from the ground.

But I dont think I will have a rough ride with the right valving, only one way to find out though :lol:

Edit:I dodged potholes even with stock suspension(Small car and small tyres will never take bumps that well)

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:My next option would be to look at the middle to top Fortune Auto coilovers with custom rates on them, but until I hit the limit with how I can perform driving on these, theres no point.
Fortune auto coilovers are crap they leak oil ive seen 6 mx5s on clubroadster that have switched from Fortune auto to Stance
The customs rates on them are just an upgrade to swift springs which you can get at lots of different rates

HSD coilovers are a rebranded Stance coilover and Swift makes springs for all coilovers

So i would just get HSD's and put some swift springs in them

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:Thing is, theres no point in me buying cheap coilovers. They are going to get fucking raped on the track. Bilsteins are rebuildable, they have the exact rates I want, and theyre brilliant quality (no point putting cheap sleeves on them, I can get the desired height without coilover sleeves).
Also most track driven mx5s run what you consider a "cheap coilover"
they all cant be wrong

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Custom valved Bilsteins > cheap coilovers. At least my shits rebuildable when something goes wrong.

As far as the Fortune Auto's go - Can get em cheap, and won't use Tein again after bad personal experiences with a few sets. I've felt the difference with cheap coilovers and good ones on the track and don't think its worth it.

6 coilovers leaking on clubroadster are hardly "bad failure rates". Most guys on clubroadster wind their coilovers as low as they can and hardpark. Won't be doing much of that.

Google "Stance leak shock". Just found like 39843439 of them leaking. Must be shit

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I heard HSD's were the same as BC Gold/Oz Racing...

Never had a problem with them. For what you pay they are great. No leaks, and they are well made..
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Exactly. You get what you pay for. Theyre still a cheaper end of the market coilover.

Take a file to the inserts on a Bilstein and I guarantee the file ends up worse off. Thats freaking tough.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:Custom valved Bilsteins > cheap coilovers. At least my shits rebuildable when something goes wrong.

As far as the Fortune Auto's go - Can get em cheap, and won't use Tein again after bad personal experiences with a few sets. I've felt the difference with cheap coilovers and good ones on the track and don't think its worth it
My tein's are rebuildable/revalvable and were pretty cheap. What was wrong with your tein's? Mind you I'm still sold on the Ohlins purely based on my mates R1 that was running Ohlins where suspension plays a much bigger role in not dying on the bike

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:Exactly. You get what you pay for. Theyre still a cheaper end of the market coilover.

Take a file to the inserts on a Bilstein and I guarantee the file ends up worse off. Thats freaking tough.
I don't get what you mean at all.

For $1250 they are great? I have tracked them and they are awesome?
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Angreal wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote:Custom valved Bilsteins > cheap coilovers. At least my shits rebuildable when something goes wrong.

As far as the Fortune Auto's go - Can get em cheap, and won't use Tein again after bad personal experiences with a few sets. I've felt the difference with cheap coilovers and good ones on the track and don't think its worth it
My tein's are rebuildable/revalvable and were pretty cheap. What was wrong with your tein's? Mind you I'm still sold on the Ohlins purely based on my mates R1 that was running Ohlins where suspension plays a much bigger role in not dying on the bike
I have a friend in Japan who runs Ohlins at the same rates Im getting. Have to be honest they are the BEST. Bilstein a close second. But you pay for the best.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Angreal wrote:

Problem was the cost to rebuild vs the amount of time rebuilds take. Autolign can use in shop parts instead of the "recomended" parts which are the problem to begin with. Also didnt end up with the ride quality I was expecting after paying the amount I paid for them. Personally, felt my Buddyclubs outperformed them for $500 less

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Ah well, I really can't complain regarding the price I paid for mine :D Figured it was easier than paying for 2 certs when I find a good set for a good price years down the track

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

I've got cusco's and they're mint so far.
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 pm

chris wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote:Exactly. You get what you pay for. Theyre still a cheaper end of the market coilover.

I don't get what you mean at all.

For $1250 they are great? I have tracked them and they are awesome?
If you spent the same amount of money on coilovers that I spent on my Bilsteins, you would end up with leaky shit for the max amount of abuse they would take.

Bilsteins are close to indestructable, and when they DO fail, they are rebuildable, which cheap coilovers arent. Tracking a set of coilovers once won't prove anything.

When you combine good tyres, brakes and suspension (and you can drive), you end up fast. I've got one of those 3 nailed. No point getting my semi slicks until I have my wheels, and not rushing into heavy wheels so hanging out for the right set. Brakes are simple, good fluid, rotors and pads with an upgraded MC/Booster and you can stop on a dime on the track. Then once I hit my limit there, I turbo it and keep going.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Sorry don't think I said that I had only tracked it once?

I find the adjustable coilovers to be brilliant in that I can adjust the dampning so when I'm riding it doesnt feel like I have anything riding me from behind 24/7.. You know unless that's what you're into..
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I have no need to adjust damper, got everything valved where I want it to be. What track Chris? What other mods to the car? Did you find your lap times were going down? If so, what were they?

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Done hampton a few times now, Pukekohe once, not that I have any clue of that lap time.

The best I got round hampton I think was 1.30 - 1.33

My mx5 is stock in the bay. Strut brace, roll bar, buckies and OZ Racing Adjusties.

And no, they weren't "going down"
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”