Suspension in NZ for NA

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

I reckon 3 - 4 hrs if you DIY it (first time) - it's pretty easy if you have ok tools.
The Pitstop boys with a hoist and rattle gun should knock it out in 2!
-I think Furai said he can do it in almost 2 hrs in his driveway...but he has had a some practice recently! :lol:
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

diy

Post by Ants » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Yeah, I'd rather do it myself, but seeing as I'm a mechanical incompetent I'd rather it actually got done correctly. :roll:

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by chris » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm

It's not hard :) if you get stuck let one of us know, chances are someone can head on over!
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Im only in Drury so you can flick me a pm if you get stuck
1990 NA6C MX5

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 am

Once you figure out how, it's pretty easy, the first time I did it, think it took me about 4 hours, and about 2 of those were on one shock on the front, once I worked out how, it was pretty much a piece of cake.

Now I can do them under 2 hours and that's including the time setting the car up on the axle stands.

The rears are easy, 2 bolts at the top of the shock holding it to the body of the car, and one at the bottom holding it to the A-Arm. Disconnect the sway bar (makes life easy, but you have to have the back of the car raised up flat), make sure you have a longish bar about and a bit of leverage on the axle and the shock will pretty much fall out. Oh, also helps to have a long socket for the top bolts (don't ask me what it is actually called, I'm not mechanically minded either).

The fronts are a bit more tricky, and there seems to be two trains of thought on how to get them out. I have tried both and found this way the easiest, other people most likely prefer the other way. Again, two bolts at the top of the shock, one at the bottom, but the trick is getting it out thru the top A-Arm. I pull out the long bolt that holds the A-Arm to the body of the car which allows a lot more movement, push down on the bottom Arm and out the shock comes. Front is handy to have two people for this method if you don't want to put scratches on the paint work of the shock, I'm a bit rough so it doesn't worry me too much, so I tend to have a bit of paint missing off my ones.

I am heading down to Thames on Sat, so happy to drop by and give you a hand for an hour or so, I will just have my kids with me, so would just need someone to help keep them occupied (otherwise they like to climb in and out of the cars, and push all sorts of buttons)

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

springs

Post by Ants » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Appreciate the offer Donovan, but I'm at Hampton Downs Fri, Sat, Sun both this weekend and next. (Grid marshal for the classic racing :) ) I still have to work out when I'm going to be able to do it. Hopefully sometime in the next three weeks. Thanks again for the offer.
96 VR-A
Caution: May contain nuts!

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”