After-Market Springs

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

After-Market Springs

Post by Ian » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 pm

I am looking to find some aftermarket springs (moderate lowering and moderate spring rate increase) for my new Koni Sport shocks
Apart from King Springs, does anyone have any or know of anyone selling anything suitable in NZ. Knowing the spring rate is imperative to me, as the balance of the car on the circuit is of prime consideration, rather than the 'racer look'

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

MN
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MN » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:46 pm

And what about progressive springs, anyone know of any?
cheers,

Mark

spotz
Tentative sideways sliding....

After-Market Springs

Post by spotz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 pm

There's a remote possibility that the springs off my lowered Mazdaspeed may become available. I'd feel more comfortable with normal height springs and shocks.
David

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:58 am

Hi David....

Can you tell me much about the springs you have?
I see Ross at MX5 Mart has some Mazdaspeed springs made by Eibach for sale...have read mixed reports on Eibach springs on the web, but it seems some owners adjust their shocks too hard...

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

spotz

After-Market Springs

Post by spotz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Sorry, but I don't know anything about them. They came with the car when I bought it recently. Since then I've decided that lowered cars are not for me. So it's either raise it back to normal height at a cost of arount $3,500 - $4,000 or sell it, or swap it for an othewise identical but standard height NB.

FWIW Mine are LTSA certified @ 300 front & 325 rear +or- 5%.

After looking at the MX5 mart picture I may be able to tell if they're Eibach or otherwise. However I've got knee problems ( I think it's bruising or ligament trouble ) so don't want to look until my physio give me the OK to kneel down.
By the looks of the "09,97" code it may be possible to tell when they were made. Mine are on a NB, "09,97" seems likely to me to be for a NA.

If I've still got it, it will be in Christchurch in the later half of Jan.

Does anyone know long MX% suspension can be expected to last before needing replacement?
David

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:40 pm

hi, Ian et al

For those thinking about replacing suspensions on NA cars, one option is to procure good condition replacement coilover units from a wrecker from an NB car. I've done it quite successfully - replaced lowered Sustec springs & shot KYB shocks on my 1990 NA with Bilsteins & standard springs from a '98 NB. Always a bit of a risk but the units looked pretty mint to me :lol: Performance is just fine too. Only problem is that I'd like to get a little lower - say 30mm rather than the 50mm below stock that I was at. A project for 2007 methinks. BTW - the swap is pretty easy - the only thing to be aware of is that the threaded section at the top of the shock protrudes slightly higher than on the stock NA. OK at the front but a minor issue if you still have your spare in the boot.

In terms of spring rates - there was a great article in miata.net that had a table with the ratios of front:rear spring rates of the various market offerings. Very wide range of ratios that's for sure. Blowed if I can find it again though - well worth a read. If anyone knows of it perhaps post the link ?

Tein list rates of 392 & 336 lbs/in (front, rear respectively) for their NA & NB springs.

I have contacted King Springs in Oz who advised that their (variable) rates were front 175-250lb/in & rear 140-215lb/in lowering the vehicle approximately 30-35mm from factory std height. Part No's KMFL-88 & KMRL-89 respectively for an NB. Supplier in NZ is Stocks I think.

I also contacted Dobinson who sell the Dobisport range of variable rate springs - they "are variable rated springs & we don't have the rates for these".

Looking at the numbers it seems to me that the Tein would be pretty stiff. For what it's worth, Norm Garrett reckons that variable rate springs are a waste of money as the suspension geometry effectively has a variable rate built in. I'm no expert but it does seem that if you can get variable rates at a reasonable price - why not.

Hope that helps .....

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:44 pm

Sorry - should have added that getting back to standard height (if that's your goal) cost $360 plus a day in the garage .... I'm certainly finding the extra suspension travel nice, though body roll is up.

Regards
Greg
1990 V Special

spotz

After-Market Springs

Post by spotz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 pm

it does help thanks
David

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:59 am

Hi David, Greg ....

Many thanks.
Yes, I am looking for linear rate springs, and a good compromise would seem to be approx 30% increase at the front and arround 18% increase at the rear to help give the car a little understeer which is traditionally the quickest way around a corner on a circuit (for me, anyway!) In 1993 1.8 this corresponds to a rate of 203lbs front and 111lbs rearin a linear rated spring.

There seem to be some overly hard springs out there in the market place, something I want to avoid.
I believe also that Bilsteins with their non adjustability (apart from revalving) have come in for quite a bit of criticism, the reason I have opted for konis, which I may well install with standard springs as in iterim measure, using the lowest spring platform positions.

Cheers from ChCh,

Ian

badcf4

Post by badcf4 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:19 am

Just for anyones information, A very commonly used aftermarket spring within other communities (im a member of the new zealand Honda club) is the Nuespeed race spring which go great with a Koni Yellow as a street/track combination.
Otherwise I'd highly reccomend the Tein springs as good value for money and the Sustec (tanabe) springs seem to be a very good product also.
If anyone wants further information regarding Nuespeed/Tanabe/Tein I am happy to speak with suppliers regarding spring rates etc and may
be able to look after you with a sharp price also :wink:

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks.
Have imported some Racing Beat Springs which are 'linear' (as per original factory) as opposed to 'progressive', 28% uprated which suits me as my car is first and foremost a road car.
Am currently experimenting with settings for my Koni yellows when at the circuit, plus different anti roll bars....speaking of which, still looking for a 24mm or larger front (NA or NB) plus a 14mm approx for the rear.

Cheers, Ian :)

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:07 pm

Ian, have you checked with Autolign (http://www.autolign.co.nz/coil_springs.htm). I think they have a branch in CHCH. They are the agents for Tein and Bilstein and they have a pretty big range of springs.

The Sports Car Club up here had a Tech Night out at their Mt Wellington branch a few weeks ago and it was pretty enlightening.

Cheers
Euen
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Thanks Euen...

My spring/shock issue has been dealt to, to my satisfaction (as per my last post)
I am now on the trail of some 'affordable' sway bars....

Cheers, Ian

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Ian

I would be keen on an adjustable front for an NB if you should find a reasonable price.

I was under the impression (I thought I read it somewhere) that the NB in fact had a smaller sway bar on the rear... I have a chart I downloaded somewhere, I'll send it when I find it.

Ahh finally found the damn thing.....
http://www.racingbeat.com/PDF/swaybarguide.pdf

Couple of links that may be of use.... I imagine you've seen them but....

http://www.miata.net/garage/soloii.html

http://www.racingbeat.com/sbinstallation.htm

And while I'm at it.... an NA/NB compatability guide...
http://www.miata.net/garage/compatibility.html
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanks for that info.........

I was familiar with all of it, except the RB install article. (I had used the Randy Stocker article to arrive at the 22mm/12mm bars I am currently running), and have the current RB catalogue. My car came with a 19mm/11mm set up which is factory for my model. Despite a marked improvement, I would still like the car to sit flatter on the track, esp during transistions in the tight corners. On the road, I am more than happy with the balance and cars attitude, but have quickly learnt that what the car does on the road, compared with the circuit using race rubber are VERY different. I found a 19mm/12mm combination was very 'loose' as the Americans love to say!! Most aftermarket rear bars induce way too much oversteer under race conditions.
I am able to run any NB bar on my NA car, as I have adjustable front links specifically designed for this option. I emailed Racing Beat and asked them to tell me the 'equivalent solid' bar diameter for their tubular bar, as '1.3 times stronger' is meaningless to me. The light weight of the tubular bar is extremely appealing...Unfortunately, they quoted the freight cost but didn't answer my question!
Australian 'Whiteline' MX5 bars are sold here in NZ, (Thru SAS) with an adjustable option. They are solid, heavy and relatively expensive in my opinion. Will keep you posted, but you might want to check the Whiteline situation...they were quoting me for an NA.

Cheers, Ian

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”