Suspension Problem/Advice

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

CodyFendant
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Suspension Problem/Advice

Post by CodyFendant » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:59 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2006 NC with 115k on the clock. I went over a bump the other day and the rear suspension really clunked/bottomed out. It felt like there was no suspension/cushioning at all.

I’m not mechanically minded at all but I’m guessing the rear shocks are due for replacing?

Can anyone recommend somewhere reputable in Akl to get this looked at/repaired? At the same time I’d consider doing the front as well as it sits 20mm higher than the back suspension. I’d like to even them up and I prefer the current spacing on the rear.

Thanks

timmyhay
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Re: Suspension Problem/Advice

Post by timmyhay » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 am

Hi there,

Did you find a good suspension shop in AK? I've just bought a 2005 NC with stock "sports" suspension (Billstein shocks, LSD) but it is still to high so I want to lower the car, ideally just with springs at first. But I've seen on US forums that there are some tricks with how to retighten the front suspension so that bushings are not pre-loaded, otherwise the front continues to sit too high even with lowering springs or coilovers. Also they recommend driving it for a few hundred miles before getting final alignment.

Cheers,
Tim

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”