Installation of a DonBar (Rollbar)

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Installation of a DonBar (Rollbar)

Post by Timmo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey guys- Recently I purchased a rollbar made by Dons Autoway Services in Hamilton (http://www.autowayservices.co.nz)

There were no instructions with it so I thought i'd document the installation of this into my car. The roll bar is a fairly basic but robust design which mounts onto the seatbelt towers and into the rear bulkhead with reinforcing plates on the other side of the chassis.

I only remembered the camera part way through but the first bit is just removing trim etc.

Tools needed: Axle Stands, Heavy duty drill with sharp quality bits, file, allen keys, screw drivers, spanners and crescents, pop marker, vacuum cleaner, primer.
People needed: 1 with another available
Time need: Around half a day

Steps
Remove standard strengthening bar behind seats (if fitted).
Remove hardtop latches X 2(if fitted)
Remove trim at top of door X 2
Loosen door scratch pads by removing the rear most screw and then removing rubber rear door seal x 2
Unscrew demister plug from seatbelt towers
Carefully remove parcel shelf carpet fasteners (to allow access to rear bulkhead carpet fasteners) by wiggling each out.
Carefully remove rear bulkhead carpet fasteners and carpet.
Remove seats (its possible you may be able to install this with them in if your drill is very short but it is probably easier just to remove them). Don't forget to unplug any accessory plugs from seats (i.e. seatbelt warning lights)
Remove seatbelt tower trim X2

You should now have a clear view of the rear bulkhead and seatbelt towers- These are the two mounting areas for the roll bar.

Jack your car up and place on axle stands or use another failsafe jacking system.

You should see two rubber grommets on each side of the rear bulkhead- These are holes into which you need place the first two bolts to locate the roll bar. Remove the grommets and place the roll bar so it lines up with these holes and then place a bolt in each.

Take the reinforcing plate and if you are very flexible you may be able to sit and rotate the bolt inside the car to take the thread while holding the plate (under the car). If not, use another person to help.
Do this for each side and do up tightly to locate the rollbar.

On my car, there were also existing bolts on the seatbelt tower with fasteners for the tonneau cover- I used these as extra location bolts in the middle of the three pre drilled holes on the roll cage rear mounting plate.

Now carefully mark the centre of each remaining hole using a pop-marker.

Drill pilot holes using a small drill bit ensuring all holes are centered as best as possible to the holes on the roll bar mounting places. The steel on the suspension towers is very tough so ensure your drill bit is sharp and of good quality and use lubrication if necessary.

Now drill the larger holes using a bit one size smaller than the bolt thread and ensuring that the bit only drills through the chassis steel and not into the mounting plate behind it. Use a file to finish the drilled hole as necessary to insert and tighten the bolt to the backing plate.

Repeat this procedure for all bolts and ensure all bolts can be tightened properly (although we will have to remove them all at the end anyway to refit the seatbelt tower trim) *

* on the left hand seatbelt tower on my car there was a mounting point for the heated rear window plug which gets in the way of one of the mounting bolts. You may need to chisel off the small existing nut used for this mounting point in order to fit the roll bar nut.

Once all bolts have been installed and checked remove them and the roll bar. Clean any shards etc from the drilled holes and spray any bare metal with primer or other protector. Vacuum any metal shards out of the car.

Re Install the seatbelt tower trims

Re install the roll bar by fastening the bolts on the lower mounting plate first.

You will now need to drill through the plastic of the seatbelt tower trim to insert the upper mounting plate bolts and then install these bolts.

Ensure all bolts are torqued correctly.

Reinstall other trim and rear bulkhead carpets- The carpet should fit over the roll bar and conceal it- I also took the opportunity to shampoo these carpets and clean under the seats etc.

Reinstall seats etc, lower off axle stands and ensure all tools are out of the car.

Done!

(pics to come after the car gets a clean!)

brooke5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by brooke5 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Still not cleaned the car? Pics?

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm

is it just me that thinks its odd that it mounts to the wall not the floor...

Looks like a fancy style bar not a roll bar
Has it got any bars that mount to the back of the parcel tray?
Do you know what it is made out of?

On the plus side it looks nice :D

Euen

Post by Euen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Don't think I would like to be under it in a roll over.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:47 pm

brooke5 wrote:Still not cleaned the car? Pics?
I get the impression the OP is unlikely to reply with further pictures two years after posting :roll:

I was considering one of these, but I decided I wanted something far more solid. Looks like it could mousetrap in a roll :?

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm

I've got one in my car, and really shouldn't have, there is no back bracing on it, but it's what the guys running the track days allow, but not the style bars so go figure. At this stage it is better than nothing, but not by much, will be replacing it at some stage, and then having to fill all the holes made to fit it in the wall behind the seats

The other PITA thing about it, is that you can't put the seat all the way back with it fitted, and it has cross bracing, which give you even less room to slide it back when race seats are fitted.

Mind you, it was only $300.

Zadkiel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Zadkiel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I could take photos for you, since I now own this car, but the hard top is on so you won't see much.

It is a bit of a nuisance that you can move the seat all the way back, and yes a back stay would be more re-assuring. However as mentioned it works for track day entry and I'm sure it would be better than nothing in the event of a roll, hopefully as long as it only fold backwards which is what I imagine it would do.

Badcat
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Could you post a pic of the whole bar?

Post by Badcat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Close ups are great. But it would be nice to see what it looks like on the car ...,,

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Euen wrote:Don't think I would like to be under it in a roll over.
Agreed...

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
brooke5 wrote:Still not cleaned the car? Pics?
I get the impression the OP is unlikely to reply with further pictures two years after posting :roll:

I was considering one of these, but I decided I wanted something far more solid. Looks like it could mousetrap in a roll :?
ha ha! Let's see what I can rustle up!

Only pics with the hardtop I'm afraid

Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:19 pm

I just realised that the one you got from Don, is different from the one that I got, mine has two cross over points, makes it a real pain in the butt with the seats, especially when I put the race seats, gives very limited room to move back.

http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/garage.php?mo ... age_id=664

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 pm

That's a cool colour man. Do you mind me asking what the rollbar cost you? I'm deciding whether to go welded or bolt-in

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Donovan wrote:I just realised that the one you got from Don, is different from the one that I got, mine has two cross over points, makes it a real pain in the butt with the seats, especially when I put the race seats, gives very limited room to move back.

http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/garage.php?mo ... age_id=664
Yeah the single cross brass is probably all that is needed as, as mentioned, the weak point would be forward/back shear strength due to no back-bracing rather than crush strength.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm

kuroneko wrote:That's a cool colour man. Do you mind me asking what the rollbar cost you? I'm deciding whether to go welded or bolt-in
From memory it was either 250 or 350? To be honest, since any rollbar with any hint of strength is going to need a little chassis modification anyway, you may as well go for a weld in.

Have you had any prices/quotes for a welded roll-bar?

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure where to ask. I would also prefer the weld-in. Any suggestions?

/sorry to hijack :oops:

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 am

kuroneko wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure where to ask. I would also prefer the weld-in. Any suggestions?

/sorry to hijack :oops:
Could try here? I was going to flick them an email when I get to that point. Wouldn't recommend one of these bars if you're serious about safety though. It's a bare minimum set up, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it personally.

Euen

Post by Euen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 am

Alternatively you could talk to Dan at Slater Fabrications (09 4433252)
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

Btw Timmo, that's an interesting wing. Excuse my ignorance, but is it a factory option?

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes thats a factory wing

Euen

Post by Euen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Kieran wrote:Yes thats a factory wing
Are you sure? Looks very like the Honda Integra wing that some previous owner fitted to my NA.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”