Flat Batteries and charging...

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:07 am

Like many others who don’t always get to use their MX5 regularly. I get in all ready to go just to find the battery has gone flat. So questions…

a) I have always disconnected the earth before charging the battery which is a bit of a pain, also having a battery back-up alarm system can be an issue when disconnecting the main battery. So is it OK to charge a car battery without disconnecting it? I have always assumed not due to fear of damaging the ECU, but maybe I don’t need to?
b) Has anyone used a trickle charger? Brand, cost etc?
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

RD5T3R
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by RD5T3R » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 pm

The only trickle charger I know of was a small one the size of the charger that powers Xmas lights and was a remacc alarms batt stabiliser on 06 844 1295. Just kept it topped up during the winter basically!

Cheers

Stu n Viv
RD5T3R
1998 MX5 BRG

[Posted via external email]

mx5mike

Post by mx5mike » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I have one somewhere that I bought in the UK. It's a 12 volt 500 milliamp powerpack type charger with a couple of squeeze clamp things to go on the terminals.

It was really good over the winter when the car was outside in the cold and only driven in weekends.

Cheers.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Yup.

I use a 'Projecta' 900mA charger from Repco. It is of the 'automatic' variety (charge and maintain), and is recommended for batteries of 100-350CCA Part number is AC150.
Have used it for 3 yrs....works a treat. Green light to indicate when battery is charged.
In my experience, Repco branches now tend to only hold in stock the next model up...1600mA, Part number AC250B. I have not used this particular one, but when I last enquired on behalf of someone else, the 900mA was available to order though the price of the two was very similar. Have always believed that slow charging is best, so very happy to continue to use the smaller one. After 2 weeks of not using the car (but alarm switched off), it fully charges my 'Panasonic' MX5 battery in about 5 hrs.

Ian :)
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:49 pm

i use an old battery drill charger power pack for 12 volt batteries. i think its 400mA (or is it 40mA???)charge rate. very easy .
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Flat Batteries and charging...

Post by zorruno » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:19 pm

poison wrote:a) I have always disconnected the earth before charging the battery which is a bit of a pain, also having a battery back-up alarm system can be an issue when disconnecting the main battery. So is it OK to charge a car battery without disconnecting it? I have always assumed not due to fear of damaging the ECU, but maybe I don’t need to?
Yes, it would be fine. The likelihood of damage to a modern ECU when connection a charger is pretty low - they have good reverse voltage protection and voltage regulation. I leave my charger connected with the battery connected for 2-3 weeks at a time sometimes. It is a 4 Amp charger with simple monitoring and trickle charge on completion (don't know what current the trickle charge is - I guess less than 100mA). I've had it charging longer, but use a better 100mA current limited power supply.

AGM batteries like the MX5 have seem to last much longer with long slow charges rather than higher current chargers for standard lead acids.

There is not a lot of stuff in a trickle charger - a regulator to produce under 200 or so mA at about 13.5 volts is about 4 components & probably less than $10 if you want to make one....
(z)

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 pm

on the flip-side, I have had some unexpected FMLink-ECU (temporary) weirdness after having welding done on the exhaust ...

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”