synthetic oil - Castrol R ?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

synthetic oil - Castrol R ?

Post by jif » Wed May 02, 2007 6:18 pm

what's the verdict on Castrol R? is it true "synthetic" ?

I'm only asking 'cos Supercheap Auto seems to always run out of Mobil1 when their 25% sale time rolls around... (which makes me super-cheap too !)

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Thu May 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Hmmm I always thought that asking about motor preference is like asking for beer preference everyone's different...

Have heard some good and some not so good stories from mechanics as to Castrol, some say it will causing glazing others have said that they are the be all end all... :?

I have just changed my oil from Penzoil Semi-Syn 10W-30 to Mobil Super S Semi-Syn 15W-30 so far with the Mobil, I'm noticing less oil usage which has to be good and it wasn't bad for $40 at Repco :D and still using my Fram filter :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by Miatamad » Thu May 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Not sure of it personally - sorry. I can say that I have just used valvoline's syn oil and Im not as happy with it as I was with Mobile 1. Next oil change Im going back.
Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Fri May 04, 2007 5:44 pm

im running the shell fully synthetic (10/40 i think)...the only reason i switched to fully syth was because of the turbo, otherwise id stay with mineral or semi synth,

the shell fully synth seems ok.... lifters dont tick..engine hasnt blown up.......must be ok! :lol:
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun May 06, 2007 12:01 am

I would agree re oil preference....I have been a Castrol user (incl full synthetic)for many yrs in both road and competition cars.
I believe that 'quality' oil of the right viscosity, changed regularly is more important than actual brand.
In my tweaked naturally aspirated 1.8 I am using Castrol Magnatec on 5000k oil changes. I get some initial occasional lifter ticking as the oil approaches its 5000klife.
When I bought my car, the oil was black and hot pressure fluctuated with a lower than expected reading. From its very first oil change, pressure improved markedly and has never budged in the last 25,000k.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: synthetic oil - Castrol R ?

Post by zorruno » Sun May 06, 2007 6:04 pm

jif wrote:what's the verdict on Castrol R? is it true "synthetic" ?
From the source...
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multiple ... Id=6007501

Looks like some are, some are blended, and some are mineral. It depends on the viscocity. The 10W-60 and 0W-40 seem to be the only fully synthetic grades.
(z)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”